Help Identifying Rough Country Lift

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Help Identifying Rough Country Lift

Post by Laredo Matt »

When I bought my jeep, it had a lift kit installed. It has 33" tires with quite a bit of clearance so I assumed it was 4" lift. Shock bodies have a lot of corrosion so can't get a part #. I've been searching youtube and the BBs and that tire always seems to be with a 4" lift.

The Rough Country and Heckethorn websites only shows a 3" lift for FSJs. They don't have a 4" option but others do.

https://www.roughcountry.com/suspension ... 4wd-741392

The rear shocks on my rig are rough country/front shocks and steering stabilizer are Heckethorn. Not sure which owns which but they seem to be one in the same so assuming the springs are from them as well but maybe a PO matched those up with 4" springs from a different kit??

I'd like to run 32" tires which seems like it would match well with a 3" lift but the gap would be pretty large given it has 33s and they fit will.

My jeep sits a tad higher up front. Hard to tell from pictures. My rear has 6 leafs, the image on the RC website has 5. It looks like the 6th was an add a leaf? My front, has 4 leafs, same as the RC website.

Any thoughts on what the lift height might be? Is the rear just a leveling leaf added to the 3" kit? Is it normal to fit 33s with a 3" in kit or would they require a 4" kit to fit without rubbing? If so, are there any good 2" kits if I want to run 32" tires? Would like to run bilstein 5160s and have seen it on FSJs with a 4" kit.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Help Identifying Rough Country Lift

Post by Stuka »

Those aren't rough country springs. Their springs aren't tapered. The shocks could have easily been purchased on their own.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Stuka wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:39 pm Those aren't rough country springs. Their springs aren't tapered. The shocks could have easily been purchased on their own.
Ok, probably need to get a 3" lift then. Sound about right for 32" wheels or would you run 33s on a 3" also.

If I'm buying a new lift, is there a consensus on the board which is best?
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

On a wide trac, there are people that run 33's with no lift. Just not a lot of wheel travel.

Is there a particular reason you dont want 33's? 32's are getting harder to find, and not many companies make them anymore.

But Rough Country makes one of the only 3" lifts, and they are notorious for their terrible ride. Your current springs and bushing look fine, so I personally would not change out the lift you have.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Stuka wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:25 pm
Is there a particular reason you don't want 33's? 32's are getting harder to find, and not many companies make them anymore.
Just a little lower and easier access. Not a big deal for me but kids and girlfriend getting in and out etc.

"notorious rough ride". That alone is reason enough to reconsider. I had considered powered running boards. That might be all the justification I need :-)
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

rebturtle

Post by rebturtle »

I'm confused. Are you trying to replace the springs, or the shocks? To source the shocks you can literally measure from bolt-hole to bolt hole at max compression and again at max extension (full droop), and most shock manufacturers can reference you a compatible product size/number from there. It may be easier to remove the old shocks (1 front, 1 rear) and extend/compress them individually instead of trying to manipulate the suspension for cross-reference.
1986 Grand Wagoneer, Army special, 33" BFG ATs, dual ARB lockers, 6.0L LS swap