coolant overflow tank

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
oregonphil

coolant overflow tank

Post by oregonphil »

:idea: I recently put one of these https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-54002-Eng ... 652&sr=8-4 in my 77 SJ, it fits and works great. Nothin' fancy, cheap and it works. Had to bend over those two steel mounting arms to fit and tossed away the crappy hose that comes with it and replaced it with 3/8" rubber vacuum hose. Bought mine at Napa Auto for about the same price.

77sj 401 warmed over
72 Commando basically stock
07 Siena should last forever
76 FLH just for fun

freehold

Re: coolant overflow tank

Post by freehold »

Love this idea. I don't even think mine gets used, and that sort of concerns me.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I like it. My original is pretty dirty inside from some knucklehead running without coolant.

Freehold, whadaya mean? Level doesn't rise when it gets hot? Stays up when the engine cools?

You filling the radiator to the top?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

freehold

Post by freehold »

SJTD wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:09 am I like it. My original is pretty dirty inside from some knucklehead running without coolant.

Freehold, whadaya mean? Level doesn't rise when it gets hot? Stays up when the engine cools?

You filling the radiator to the top?
Radiator full to the top--line to overflow tank is clear and clean--but nothing ever seems to end up in the overflow tank at all. Nothing comes in, nothing comes out. It's weird, man.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

Topic author
oregonphil

Post by oregonphil »

Freehold, I think the only time the radiator spits antifreeze over to the overflow tank is when it full and hot, and the cap reaches it's pressure rating, then pops up and releases antifreeze to the overflow. My new engine with the full radiator was spitting antifreeze down on to drivers side of the frame, so I put this on. What you see in the overflow tank is all that's come out since then. The radiator is still plenty full.
77sj 401 warmed over
72 Commando basically stock
07 Siena should last forever
76 FLH just for fun