J20 Interior Pieces in J300?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
MitchInMN

J20 Interior Pieces in J300?

Post by MitchInMN »

Hi there, this may be my first post on this forum if I can remember correctly, however I have been searching this forum for a few years now as I work on my 63 J300, so thank you guys already for all of the info you provide here!

My question today is this: I have a 1963 J300 with basically no interior. I have located a 1988 J20 that has a lot of what I need, mainly the bench seat and door panels in the saddle color which will match the carpets I have recently ordered. Going with the interior parts from this J20 would cut a lot of time, money, and effort out of having my existing seat rebuilt and building my own custom door panels. Will these door panels and seat from the J20 work in my J300? I am ok with modifying how the seat bolts down, seems easy enough, however I am not super interested in reshaping the trans tunnel in my cab. From what I can tell the interior door handle and window crank seem to be in the same place on the J20 and my J300 doors.

Any insight you all can provide is greatly appreciated and I thank you again for all of your information across this forum!

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: J20 Interior Pieces in J300?

Post by Stuka »

The inner seat mounts changed in 1980 as the floor changed. If it’s a true bench, and only has the outer mounts, I think it may work. I have only done this swap between 70s and 80s though, never with a 60s. Buckets are a no go without different mounts though.

The dots did not change much. The hinges did, and the crank ratio did. In the 80’s it required more cracks to get the window up or down. I am not sure if the spline count changed on the stuff that the crank connects to.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

The armrests on the door panels look very different for 60s vs. 80s but I think the bolt spacing is the same. I had 69 parts truck for a while and even though I'm not 100% sure, I am sure enough that I'd go ahead and get that 88 J20 if I were in your shoes.

Out of curiosity, are you keeping the lap seat belts in your 60s cab or converting to 3-point 80s style seat belts?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
MitchInMN

Post by MitchInMN »

Thanks so much for the replies. I should have specified this is a truck being parted out, the owner was not interested in selling it whole and honestly I don't have the room for it so I'm ok not buying the whole truck.
I did end up buying the bench seat, the mounting brackets line up exactly the same for the bench seat in my 63 and this 88 truck. The only difference I can tell is that the seat is about 3" narrower overall than my beat up 63 seat, but it fits well and I'm hoping once I get door panels figured out it should feel like it fits well in my cab with the doors shut.
The door panels were further gone then I expected, so I passed on those, however I did bring what's left of my 63 door panel to look for differences and it seemed like the 88 door panels would have worked, though I didn't pull the panel off to look at how it was secured to the door.
@twisted frame, I will more than likely end up going with only lap belts, but part of me is rethinking the idea of the 3-point belts. I am a long ways out from seatbelts, so I've got some time to think it over.