Need rear leafs! Help!

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
CaptainWacky

Need rear leafs! Help!

Post by CaptainWacky »

Hey guys, new to the forum. Recently started building my 75 waggy into a trail rig. Installed RC 3” front leaf springs, and it came with blocks for the rear. Anyway pretty sure my rear springs are shot and I got a wicked Carolina squat going on, like the front sits 4” higher than the rear.

Been on dozens of sites and can’t even find a set of OE size rear springs for a 1975, that I can use blocks with.

Read somewhere people used their main leaf with a mixture of new leafs, someone said Chevy truck rear springs? Idk about any of that.

Could anyone lend some advice? Or point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys!
Neil

FSJRomanGladiator

Re: Need rear leafs! Help!

Post by FSJRomanGladiator »

I believe the 74 and 75 are the Bstd children of the group, so it will be hard to find leafs for rear unless custom made. Front Eyelids on rear spring are different. On my 74 I used the main leaf in place of the skyjacker main leaf within the kit I used. That way the eyelit was correct. just bought new bushings. It has worked out perfectly. I had to get a 2.5 block to level out the rear bc of the welder not putting the new shackles on the front springs in the same place. end of day i have just over a 4" lift kit.

so if you want the 4" or so in the rear, then what I did would prob work. post some pics of stance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'15 Grand Cherokee 4X4 - Altitude - Blacked Out
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I believe that's right, that the 74-75 had post mounts in the rear only. Hell Creek makes lift springs for the post mount Wagoneers and J-trucks, and possibly could sell you rears only if you want lift springs. http://hellcreeksuspensions.com/

You could have replacements made. There are companies that will build new springs to your specifications. Alcan in Grand Junction CO, and Deaver in Santa Ana CA come to mind. Likely there are more in other parts of the country. What's your location?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
CaptainWacky

Post by CaptainWacky »

I saw HellCreek, and I can get just rear springs from them at almost $1,000 for the pair, and that’s not an option since this is a budget build. (Only spent 500 on the truck LOL)

As far as spring shops I’m in omaha, ne. We have a couple spring shops but none that I can find really build springs, just R and R.

FSJRoman, truck looks great man. I’m thinking about going that route, question is, does the main leaf provide the upward arch that gives the truck lift? Or can it be done with smaller leafs?

Would be fine using my main leaf with a 4” spring if I could actually get the lift I need. Just dunno if using a tired main leaf with new leaflets would yield the lift I want.

backroadin'

Post by backroadin' »

Your rear springs are the same length as the earlier years - 52", just have different bushings for those two years (for the post mount). You can use 52" chevy springs and just swap out the bushings. Not all chevy/gmc trucks had 52" springs, so make sure. Mine were for a suburban - figured that was a close match to the wagoneer in weight, etc. I wanted a 4" lift in the back and can't remember if I got 4" lift chevy springs or if I had to get a diferent height to get 4" in the jeep. Spring dimensions are pretty readily available online however. Finding the bushings might be tricky - go to your favorite spring and chassis shop - they might have some laying around - especially if they've been in business for a while. They can press 'em in for you too for a little extra. Or get the exact dimensions and order online.
here's a link with some spring and bushing info:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=66430
And another with more specific bushing info:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... t+bushings

Do a search for "post mount lift" and there will be alot more info on spring options and the chevy spring swap. The rear spring deal is the same for the earlier years as for you - it's just the bushing size that's unique to your years.
'73 Wagoneer 4.0 stroker/t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet