Axle swap help 4 Noobie

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
CharliesHeep73

Axle swap help 4 Noobie

Post by CharliesHeep73 »

Hey guys I’m new to the forum. I just picked up a 73 Wagoneer and I’d like to start building ground up. It has the stock 5 lug axles on it so I’d like to start out by swapping in some 6 lug stronger axles that would be a direct swap for the stock passenger drop axles. Disk brakes in the fronts. Any help on what year axles I should be looking for would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks I’m advance.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Axle swap help 4 Noobie

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum.

74-79 axles will be 6 lug, passenger drop, and bolt in. Disc brakes were optional on 74-75, though the majority of them have discs.

BUT, most of them are from quadra-trac equipped wagoneers. Meaning the rear axle is offset to the passenger side also. Manual transmission rear axle also have a small offset to clear the fuel tank.

To keep the same width, they need to be from a wagoneer or a narrow track cherokee (eg: no big fender flares).

Wide-Trac cherokee axles will also bolt in, but they are wider and will push the tires out so that they may not fit inside the fenders when compressed.

HOWEVER, '73 has the strong 30 spline D44 in back. It just has a D30 up front. So if I were you, I would just find a front axle, and convert it to 5 lug using Ford parts. You may need to regear the front or rear to make them match. But then you don't have to worry about finding the correct rear offset.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

"HOWEVER, '73 has the strong 30 spline D44 in back. It just has a D30 up front. So if I were you, I would just find a front axle, and convert it to 5 lug using Ford parts. You may need to re-gear the front or rear to make them match. But then you don't have to worry about finding the correct rear offset."
This is the best option--look for the Big bearing hubs from a 1970's F100 4x4.

Topic author
CharliesHeep73

Post by CharliesHeep73 »

Nice thanks for the fast response guys. I really appreciate the input. I have Jeep XJs and I’ve always wanted a Wagoneer. Finally got my hands on one and I’d like to try and build it right so any info I get from knowledgeable people would go to good use.

I found this axle on Craigslist would you guys know if it’s something I can use for the front.

Jeep Wagoneer Dana 44 differentials. Front differential is passenger drop and 61.5" length WMS to WMS with disc brakes and 6 lug, 5.5" bolt pattern. This is the beefier 3" diameter axle housing version of the D44 labeled 44-8F. This is from a 1979 Wagoneer and has 3.54 gears.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

That should work. I’m not sure what year the spring mounting changed so that may need addressed. Swap a set of hubs and rotors for a 78 bronco or f150 and you’ll have matching wheel bolt patterns.

I have the parts sitting in the shop now for a similar swap on my 70 J truck.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Mreuther12

Post by Mreuther12 »

I just swapped 76’ j10 axles under my 70’ waggy and had no issues with the front axle bolting right up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 Wagoneer
- Buick 350 Dauntless V8, TA Performance Stage 1 Intake, Holley Sniper, Holley Hyperspark, Electric Fan, Aluminum Radiator
- 76 J10 D44 w/ OX Lockers Front & Rear

WT Conversion in progress...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeller wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:28 am That should work. I’m not sure what year the spring mounting changed so that may need addressed. Swap a set of hubs and rotors for a 78 bronco or f150 and you’ll have matching wheel bolt patterns.

The spring mounts only changed for J-Trucks. The springs themselves changed for Wagoneers, but the spring pad widths did not.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
CharliesHeep73

Post by CharliesHeep73 »

Sounds like it’s a good match…. Now to see if I can get it for a good price. I bought my D44 for my XJ for 300 a few years back. But I’m not familiar with today’s prices on these wagoneer parts. I’m thinking 500-700 maybe? Should still save me on a disk conversion kit though.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Stuka wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:45 pm
Yeller wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:28 am That should work. I’m not sure what year the spring mounting changed so that may need addressed. Swap a set of hubs and rotors for a 78 bronco or f150 and you’ll have matching wheel bolt patterns.

The spring mounts only changed for J-Trucks. The springs themselves changed for Wagoneers, but the spring pad widths did not.
That makes that simple 8-)
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

CharliesHeep73 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:12 pm Sounds like it’s a good match…. Now to see if I can get it for a good price. I bought my D44 for my XJ for 300 a few years back. But I’m not familiar with today’s prices on these wagoneer parts. I’m thinking 500-700 maybe? Should still save me on a disk conversion kit though.

Assuming this is a private party sale? I would expect to pay about half what I would pay in a yard. You can go to car-part.com and look at some prices for the same axle. I would extend the search for year range 1974-1993, which would include the drivers drop axles you don't need.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
CharliesHeep73

Post by CharliesHeep73 »

It’s a private sale it caught my attention when I first saw the post… guys had it on Craigslist for over a month and his original ask was 1k … he’s down to 900 but I still think thats a little pricey.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Check the part-outs listings here and at at IFSJA. There are Jeep junkyards that may have something that will work for you. Can't suggest much more until you put your general location in your profile.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
CharliesHeep73

Post by CharliesHeep73 »

I’m in San Diego County… I’m going to really pull the noobie card here..

Is there any way to keep the new stronger 6 lug axle at 6 lugs and keep the original D44 from the 73 and convert to 6 lugs for towing purposes.

I know 5 lug is strong enough for a small trailer but the 6 lugs is much more appealing. (Noobie card) lmao …. I’m picking up the Dana 44 from the 79 tomorrow. I worked out a deal with the guy. I’m thinking maybe start a build thread also but it’ll definitely be a slow go process since there’s other things that have priority at the moment (wife being the main issue here lol)

Topic author
CharliesHeep73

Post by CharliesHeep73 »

Original rear D44**

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

There is really no advantage to the 6 lug for the weight and usage even towing, 5 lug is more then enough to hang onto to the wheel until the axle breaks. If you still feel it is insufficient install 9/16” wheel studs which are stronger than the axle flange. In extreme hardcore off-roading occasionally you’ll see broken wheel studs with 5 lug and 6 lug with 37”+ tires but even then 9/16” studs solve that issue. If you are towing enough to worry about the wheel studs then you probably should be more concerned about the axle bearings, axles housing and even the frame not being sufficient.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Get a set of custom axles cut with 6x5.5 via Moser or others. Cost is approx' $350

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

CharliesHeep73 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:48 pm I’m in San Diego County… I’m going to really pull the noobie card here..

Is there any way to keep the new stronger 6 lug axle at 6 lugs and keep the original D44 from the 73 and convert to 6 lugs for towing purposes.

I know 5 lug is strong enough for a small trailer but the 6 lugs is much more appealing. (Noobie card) lmao …. I’m picking up the Dana 44 from the 79 tomorrow. I worked out a deal with the guy. I’m thinking maybe start a build thread also but it’ll definitely be a slow go process since there’s other things that have priority at the moment (wife being the main issue here lol)

Ok noob :) Click on your name. Select User Control Panel. Pick the Profile tab. There is a place for your location.

Yeah, I would not worry about 5-lug or 6-lug. Whichever you can get to easiest. Jeep went from Bendix to Delco brakes in 1974 at the same time the changed to 6-lug, and that may have been a reason. Both Jeep and Ford light trucks (and Dodge?) used 5-lug wheels for decades and I do not recall any instance where that was an issue. Usual failure from overloading is the rear axle bearings. That rear 5-lug flanged 44 is a desirable axle, and someone will want it. If you want rear 6-lug centered, I'd suggest you look for an '80-up Corporate axle or Dana 44 from a Wagoneer, which will be 6-lug. Got to be cheaper than having shafts made.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
CharliesHeep73

Post by CharliesHeep73 »

I tend to overthink things sometimes. Sounds like 5 lug is more than enough for what I need so I’ll swap front axle and put in the 79 bronco rotors and hubs.

Thanks guys for all the input it was very very helpful. Im going to start going through all the existing forums and get as much info on building this thing as I can. It’s nice to have all this knowledge all in one area.

Mreuther12

Post by Mreuther12 »

CharliesHeep73 wrote:I tend to overthink things sometimes. Sounds like 5 lug is more than enough for what I need so I’ll swap front axle and put in the 79 bronco rotors and hubs.

Thanks guys for all the input it was very very helpful. Im going to start going through all the existing forums and get as much info on building this thing as I can. It’s nice to have all this knowledge all in one area.

Check your private messages.

1970 Wagoneer
- Buick 350 Dauntless V8, TA Performance Stage 1 Intake, Holley Sniper, Holley Hyperspark, Electric Fan, Aluminum Radiator
- 76 J10 D44 w/ OX Lockers Front & Rear

WT Conversion in progress...

Topic author
CharliesHeep73

Post by CharliesHeep73 »

So funny thing happened today ………. I was sitting there having some beers (quite a few I might add) and decided I’d take a quick look at the axle I picked up the “1979 jeep wagoneer axle Dana 44-8F”. I think either it’s the beer talking or I’ve come to the sad reality that I didn’t pick up an axle that will actually work for my 1973 Jeep Wagoneer. Full disclosure I don’t know what I’m lookin at … this is my first FSJ and the Jeep XJ I swapped axles out on I knew for a fact it came off a 1988 Jeep XJ… this axle I picked up I went off of what the guy told me… so maybe I did good maybe I did bad… I’m leaning towards the latter.

Any chance there’s an axle guru out there that can either ease my mind or just put me out of my misery already lmao ….