New Guy New Waggy

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
BlackOpsOutdoors

New Guy New Waggy

Post by BlackOpsOutdoors »

Hello, new Guy here from TN. I am picking up an 86 wagoneer and just have a few questions. What front one ton axles will fit while keeping the leaf springs? I know I will have to clean the housings up and install new perches, shock mounts etc.. I'm just looking for advice on fitment. On my YJ I had to look for a kingpin. I have access to super duty axles all day if they will fit. I prefer not to outbound the hangers if I don't have to. Thanks.

will e

Re: New Guy New Waggy

Post by will e »

Welcome! A lot of one ton axles will be a bit wide for your waggy. If you want a real 'bolt in' look for the Ford 78 F250 'Snofighter'. The axle purches are in the correct place although they are SOA so instant 6 or 7" lift. Which I am guessing you might be looking to do.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

As you are driver drop, 78-79 Ford axles are the only true "bolt in" options. Other years can be made to work. But they require either moving/adding the spring perches, or partially outboarding the front springs as Ford moved to a wider frame in I think '87. Which remained up through the end of leaf spring super dutys.

Late model super duty axles use coils, so you have to cut all that off and add spring perches if you want to use leafs.

The other option is if you are switching out the drive train, you can go passenger drop and then GM and Dodge front axles will work.

EDIT: 77 and older Ford axles can work, they just aren't desirable as they are low pinion. But the spring perch width should be the same as 78-79. Which means they match our Jeeps.

And do note all these options are spring over, instead of spring under. There is a shackle flip kit for the rear to make it match the front SOA.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
BlackOpsOutdoors

will e wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:20 pm Welcome! A lot of one ton axles will be a bit wide for your waggy. If you want a real 'bolt in' look for the Ford 78 F250 'Snofighter'. The axle purches are in the correct place although they are SOA so instant 6 or 7" lift. Which I am guessing you might be looking to do.
I appreciate the info, gave me some really good ideas. I am looking to go really wide though, I', looking to fit 40 - 42" tires.

Topic author
BlackOpsOutdoors

Stuka wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:59 pm As you are driver drop, 78-79 Ford axles are the only true "bolt in" options. Other years can be made to work. But they require either moving/adding the spring perches, or partially outboarding the front springs as Ford moved to a wider frame in I think '87. Which remained up through the end of leaf spring super dutys.

Late model super duty axles use coils, so you have to cut all that off and add spring perches if you want to use leafs.

The other option is if you are switching out the drive train, you can go passenger drop and then GM and Dodge front axles will work.

EDIT: 77 and older Ford axles can work, they just aren't desirable as they are low pinion. But the spring perch width should be the same as 78-79. Which means they match our Jeeps.

And do note all these options are spring over, instead of spring under. There is a shackle flip kit for the rear to make it match the front SOA.
Excellent info! I am not opposed to going passenger drop as long as the D60 was an hp design, that would let me run a twin stick'd dana 300. I can also stay on the passenger side and go to a twin stick'd ford 205. A lot to think on.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

All of the passenger drop 60’s are low pinion. All of the drivers drop units are high pinion. It is possible to rework a drivers drop into a passenger drop and use off the shelf shafts. It’s all in what you want to do.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
BlackOpsOutdoors

Yeller wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:52 pm All of the passenger drop 60’s are low pinion. All of the drivers drop units are high pinion. It is possible to rework a drivers drop into a passenger drop and use off the shelf shafts. It’s all in what you want to do.
I will stay with a ford 60 then. Does anyone know for sure if I can do a 99-2005 front dana 60 without outboarding the spring hangers? Thanks

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

BlackOpsOutdoors wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:55 pm
Yeller wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:52 pm All of the passenger drop 60’s are low pinion. All of the drivers drop units are high pinion. It is possible to rework a drivers drop into a passenger drop and use off the shelf shafts. It’s all in what you want to do.
I will stay with a ford 60 then. Does anyone know for sure if I can do a 99-2005 front dana 60 without outboarding the spring hangers? Thanks
As I mentioned in my post above, 87(ish) and newer all require a partial outboarding of the springs. You end up with the spring roughly half under/half outside the frame.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
BlackOpsOutdoors

Stuka wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:50 pm
BlackOpsOutdoors wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:55 pm
As I mentioned in my post above, 87(ish) and newer all require a partial outboarding of the springs. You end up with the spring roughly half under/half outside the frame.
Right on, I can live with that. Thanks for your info.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

If going to the work of outboarding springs why not do coils? It will ride and perform in all conditions so much better.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
BlackOpsOutdoors

Yeller wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:49 am If going to the work of outboarding springs why not do coils? It will ride and perform in all conditions so much better.
I'm not opposed to doing a 3 link up front, but this will be my daily for a little while and I can't justify having it down for a week and knowing me maybe longer lol. When I get a little car to drive back and forth to work I will heavily consider it. Do you know of a write up on a cool spring conversion on the front?

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I’m in process of one but will probably be Christmas before I’m finished. However when I actually can get it in the shop it will be a weekend conversion. Parts all premade and ready to install.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”