Chassis question...

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Cherokee overlander

Chassis question...

Post by Cherokee overlander »

Hello, and thank you fsj folks for letting me join your forum.
I hope to tap your knowledge and know how to save me a pile a time and trouble solving some questions about chassis interchangeability.
I have a 68 j10 chassis, sitting on 2004 f250 Dana 60's, with dual tanks, and a 5.0liter/np465/np208... Nearly ready to roll...
This last week I happened across an 81 Cherokee shell still on its chassis... So I bought it, because I have for some time wanted one to build an overlander out of.
Now... I'm wondering, how much modification, if any, will I have to commit to to bolt this 81 Cherokee to my 68 j10 chassis?
Anyone have the cheat sheet for this kind of thing?
Thank you!

will e

Re: Chassis question...

Post by will e »

Welcome!
First question, was the J10 a short or long bed?

I know the waggy's and cherokees from year to year had differences but could be made to work. If you have a long bed J10 frameI think it is too long. If it is a short bed frame then maybe... someone will pipe in with the answers.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Cherokee overlander

Post by Cherokee overlander »

It's a short bed....
I've been pounding the net, digging for data. From what I can tell the wheel base on the chief is 9" shorter than the j10. That's a problem big enough to change my strategy altogether.
Looks like my only viable option is to adapt all my upgrades from the j10 chassis, to the chief chassis.... The only major loss is the dual fuel tanks. Bummer.
I had fitted a full size bronco rear mount fuel tank behind the rear axle. Fit wonderfully. .
Now I'm trying to find leaf spring width data, to see how hard it is going to be to adapt the 04 f250 Dana 60's to the later model leaf springs. Seems a might narrower, and a wider leaf.

will e

Post by will e »

There are gas tanks that go where the spare is normally located.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Hello, you said you have a “68 J10” frame? Is this the year? The J10 was introduced in 1974. You should confirm your frame before looking at wheelbase specifications as I believe there were some differences between the J10 and earlier model trucks.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The frame will not work. Is not just a length issue. It’s a width and height issue. The J-Truck frames get significant wider than Cherokee/Wagoneer frames. They are different where the bed sits is also.

And the wheel base for a short bed J-Truck did change. There was several wheel bases used for gladiators. A short bed J10 (‘74+) would be a 119” wheel base.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ