PCV Valve opinions on 360 AMC

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fast79Chief

PCV Valve opinions on 360 AMC

Post by Fast79Chief »

Hey you AMC gurus, if you have no valve cover breathers on your modified 360, can the oil fill tube cap act as a crankcase breather?

Thanks.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: PCV Valve opinions on 360 AMC

Post by Stuka »

The tube in the intake is the crank case breather. It just happens to be where we add oil also.

With it in place there is no need for the valve cover breathers. But you could certainly use both if you like.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Thanks Stuka ... I kinda suspected that the crankcase could bleed off pressure there too. I put a new factory cap on the filler tube, with a filter screen at the top. It does have that male nipple just under the cap, but right now I don't have a line hooked to it. I think I'll find a small breather filter to clamp onto that nipple.
What do you think?
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

Remember, a "PVC' is just a "Controlled vacuum leak system" design!

Things an engine needs, one is a internal pressures bleed off of some kind, via intake vacuum carb-plate or using the exhaust pipes as a vacuum from a vlv connection..
The tubing conn can be ran to vlv covers one or both from the either design way vacuum to crankcase is obtained.
Oil input can be vlv cover or and intake pipe in front on manifold, shouldn't matter.
Just consider the piping system whichever you create, that it doesn't have air "leaks in excess" to the intake manifold vacuum.
As ideal intake vacuum at Idle RPM's to achieve is 16inHg.