Moderate Lift

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jeepj2078

Moderate Lift

Post by jeepj2078 »

I've got a stock 1978 J20 long bed. I want to at a minimum level the front and if I can do that while performing a mild lift that would be even better. This is my first fsj so not sure where to start. I never liked the idea of using blocks or body lifts so if you could point me away from that it would be great. Also, I suppose I'll need to upgrade my shocks. If there's a package that's commonly used or recommended for one stop shopping I'd like to see that. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
1978 Jeep J20
1969 AMC Javelin

letank

Re: Moderate Lift

Post by letank »

50 views and nobody had a comment... not too sure about the J truck rear springs size...?

Nothing wrong with the rear blocks.

As always you can benefit from a 2 step approach, install a 2" springs in the front and check the needed height gain for the rear. I installed the 2" in the front with 2" block but I am still lower in the rear... so a 3" block would have been beneficial... do I want 3" in the back? or dismantle the front and have them worked out!

check your local FSJ support group

http://gfsj.org
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

will e

Post by will e »

I would go with a 4" spring lift. There are different companies that make kits. I had good luck with Rusty's on my waggy. BJs off road has some kits. Shipping can be pricey, if there is somewhere near you and you can pick them up you could save some money.

You will need extended brake lines (but it's probably time to change them out anyways). New shocks (don't cheap out on these).
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Whtshos

Post by Whtshos »

Check your local 4WD shop on which systems they sell. This can really help on your shipping costs.
We went with a 3.5 Rough Country with Nitro shocks. The ride is not Caddy style but its not a Caddy either.
HellCreek, Rusty's, BJ's, BDS, Skyjacker, Rough Country are some systems for starters.
Good luck on your choice. Start spraying connect points with penetrating fluid now!!!
'79 Chief (the boys) 3.5 RC lift 360-TH400
'02 Baby Grand (Mammas) 3.5 OME lift 4.7 HO QD
I'm looking for a J10 (stopped looking 6 April 2013)
. ....... ,==,---,
_____l_,\____\,__
l_(--)-l__l---0llllllll0
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)_
,======,---,
//___/l_,\____\,__
l_-----l__l---0llllllll0
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)_

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

OK, time to plug my product ;) I can provide a 2" lift and not increase the spring rate of your truck (will ride the same or better). My FSSR is listed on this site in the vendors section or it can be seen here: https://rocklaurencevintageautoparts.co ... e-reversal
My set up is a less expensive alternative and provides benefits that stiffer/lifted springs don't. If you want to go with a spring lift, there are many but SkyJacker and BDS seem to be the best riding kits.
Last edited by rocklaurence on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Problem with ready made kits, is that nobody sells ready made J20 springs. They are all half ton springs. If you haul and tow, chances are you want the heavier springs.

You can have custom springs made though, that will retain the load capacity and give you the lift you want.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I updated the FSSR link

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Unless the truck received hard use over its life, the rears won't sag like the fronts. Saggy springs is a universal problem with Jeeps, maybe with all old leaf-sprung vehicles. I would put the fronts back to original height to level the truck. What's the GVWR of your truck? The GVWR is in the VIN as the 5th character: P, S, Y for 6800, 7600 and 8400 resp. Check the TSM, free to read and download on the Tom Collins site. From the GVWR I may be able to tell you something about the original springs from the parts book. A good spring shop like Deaver or Alcan can make replacement springs that will replicate the original load rating and ride height of the springs.

If you go higher on the front, it is mostly acceptable to put blocks on the rear to match new ride height. if your J20 is anything like mine, it already rides pretty rough without a load, and you might not want to add more height and make the ride worse than it is.

There are replacement front springs available, nominally from Dayton: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jee ... pring,7544 No guarantee these will have the exact load rating of your existing front springs, but matching the leaf count may be acceptable. A local spring shop may be able to source these and save you some shipping over RockAuto.

Doh, OP posted 2013. Oh well. Maybe the reply will help someone.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.