1986 J20 LS Swap

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
SJohn

Re: 1986 J20 LS Swap

Post by SJohn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:47 pm

Big update! All of the metal work, rust repair, and painting is finally done! The cab and front clip are back on the frame and it's finally starting to look like a truck again. The radiator is bolted in just waiting for hoses and steam vent joint. I am currently planning on using the factory Jeep transmission cooler. I am using a Ford Taurus electric fan but I need to figure out how to mount it so any suggestions would be appreciated. I pulled the grill off since i will be putting on a razor grill and it looks like some rats chewed up the passenger side wire harness near the headlight. A wiring schematic for the lights would also be greatly appreciated!

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 am

Hi, just an observation on your fan shroud. The shroud should cover the radiator core 100% for efficient cooling, your set up will be ok at highway speed but not for city/ slow traffic because it will only draw air thru the center of the radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
SJohn

Post by SJohn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:17 pm

I apologize for the sparse updates, I have moved closer to my new job and unfortunately do not have a garage so the truck is 45 minutes away in my dad's shop. Thankfully most of the big projects like metal work are behind me and I can focus on getting this thing back on the road!

I took ScramblerCJ8's advice and built an aluminum shroud extension for the taurus fan. I still have some work to do on it but so far it is looking good! I have also plumbed the radiator hoses and steam port using a coupling with a 1/8 NPT fitting. I filled the fluids and ran it to check and fill the trans fluid as well as burp the coolant.

The taurus fan uses an old ford/(motocraft?) 3 pin female plug, any clue where to find a male plug?

Running video: https://i.imgur.com/aHg4jgy.mp4

cpfeifffer

Post by cpfeifffer » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:03 pm

Send a picture of the plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1978 Cherokee Chief
5.3L L33, 4L60E, Atlas II 5.0

Topic author
SJohn

Post by SJohn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 pm

cpfeifffer wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:03 pm
Send a picture of the plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm looking for the socket this plug connects into.

sirrus
Vendor

1986 J20 LS Swap

Post by sirrus » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:59 pm

That looks exactly like connectors on Duraspark ignition modules. I don’t know the exact name for it, but if you look for “duraspark connectors” you’ll find plenty online.

On the other side they are far from perfect and will be full of green goo from corrosion soon. So you might want to cut it off and replace with 3pin weatherpack. They are waterproof and more durable than “duraspark” ones. I recently did that to connector on my stock duraspark dizzy and it actually fixed occasional rough idle

1988 Grand Wagoneer - bone stock (AMC 360, TF727, NP229), slowly turning into reliable and nice daily driver

Relay modules and other parts for sale

How to clean electric switches (power windows, locks, seats)

Topic author
SJohn

Post by SJohn » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:12 pm

sirrus wrote:That looks exactly like connectors on Duraspark ignition modules. I don’t know the exact name for it, but if you look for “duraspark connectors” you’ll find plenty online.

On the other side they are far from perfect and will be full of green goo from corrosion soon. So you might want to cut it off and replace with 3pin weatherpack. They are waterproof and more durable than “duraspark” ones. I recently did that to connector on my stock duraspark dizzy and it actually fixed occasional rough idle

Yes it's the same plug as the ignition module but I can't seem to find it's counterpart. I did order a weatherpack kit and crimper so I can do that.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Topic author
SJohn

Post by SJohn » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:41 am

Got the battery and ecu mounted this weekend. Used a Rusty's offroad optima battery box that I modified for my slightly bigger battery and mounted it to the firewall with a support bolted to the inner fender. The ECU is mounted with a S10 ECU bracket riveted to a support I fabbed up to the driver side inner fender. Also I went with Sirrus's advice and changed the taurus fan plug to a weatherpack. Went ahead and cut the muscle grill supports and bolted the razor grill on and have some round buckets on the way.
I'm about to begin trimming the Jeep harness so if anyone has any info on what wires should be removed and what I will need I would greatly appreciate it!