83 Cherokee resto-mod

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Re: 83 Cherokee resto-mod

Post by Laredo Matt »

refinemrh wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:40 am What Willwood Brake kit are you using?

Your progress looks great. Very inspirational
The kit is the D52 front caliper kit. It's a 2 piston caliper.

Fom their website .... "Wilwood's D52 Front Caliper Kit is a direct bolt-on 2 piston replacement for the factory original single calipers on many 1968-96 GM Passenger Vehicles and Trucks..."

Oddly enough, the list 70's cherokees, wagonners and j10 but nothing for 79 and newer in their fitment list.

I called and talked to their tech support team, gave them all the measurements on the parts I was pulling off and everything lined up without problem. Would suggest calling to verify yourself but mine mounted up just fine.

I found out about them via a build thread. I think it was on IFSJN but not sure, it was a while back.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

Matt
I used the Wilwood part number 14011290R It is a direct fit for my 81 cherokee. The kit I used is only the dual piston calipers. BTW WOW! Nice build!
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

78 WIDETRAC wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:31 pm Matt
I used the Wilwood part number 14011290R It is a direct fit for my 81 cherokee. The kit I used is only the dual piston calipers. BTW WOW! Nice build!
That's the same caliper PN that is in the D52 kit. Sounded familiar and just looked it up on the site. I almost went with red calipers but decided on black. Ordered black and got sent the anodized silver. Liked em so kept em :)

maybe it was your post where i saw it to begin with?
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

refinemrh

Post by refinemrh »

Matt, Thanks for the info on the caliper. Keep posting your progress it is giving me a lot to think about for my 83 Cherokee restomod.

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

The last three weeks have been tedious. Mostly mundane tasks but a few new parts got in which is always fun to open. I've posted pics but nothing too exciting.

A lot of wet/color sanding to get rid of orange peel in the clear.

Cleaning parts, spraying bit pieces, mounts, mounting HW, cover plates etc. The more I clean, the more parts i seem to find. I forgot how much I pulled off when stripping it down. Will be glad when this phase is done! Haven't gotten to trim yet either :roll:

Drivetrain is still with the tuner as they work getting the electronic t-case controls fully figured out. No firm date on when it will be ready and shipped.

A week plus of long days to get all color sanding done but worth it.

I will buff and polish everything over the winter months but that's lowest priority now. I couldn't resist polishing the hood though just to see how it was going to look. I did final sand with 2000 grit paper but still nice. I could go to 3000 grit or higher and get a more mirror like finish but I'm happy ... and tired of sanding !

Cut out the old cradle motor mount for the LS and prepped for new Gen V mounts from Novak. Then moved the chassis to it's new temporary home until the drivetrain is here. No room at the house to keep it inside and with weather turning and HOA no place to keep it outside either so a nearby storage facility was the only choice

Engine mounts arrived and are now ready to set in place but won't get mounted til drivetrain is here

With body and panels all painted and done, I've turned my attention to all the brackets and mounts....this is first of many rounds of parts that have to get done.

First, fixing stress/vibration fractures in passenger side inner fender support bracket i found while cleaning them. The metal width to the outer edge of the bracket was so thin I'm surprised it didn't break off. It's was less than half the width of the side that didn't crack. Both ends needed repair. I wanted to add strength so decided to weld a new piece of metal spanning the length of the opening to the outer edge and then ground to fit.

Now on to prep and paint

For mounting HW I had a few options. One, buy new black steel which is more expensive. Two, buy standard bolts and paint heads black. Three, recondition what I pulled off the jeep. I chose the latter. For the most part it was all in good shape and much less painting needed. A good soak in carb cleaner / de-greaser for an hour and half, wipe clean, spray with a good penetrating oil and back in the bag till I start mounting parts. I'd say 85% is reusable. Now just about 30 more baggies and I'll be done.

I found the courage to dig out the body harness and start thinking about cutting and prepping all the factory connectors for things I'll re-use. Not ready to tackle that quite yet...a little scared to be honest and still more brackets and parts to get ready first .

"New" refurbhished power window assemblies from an 84 wagoneer arrived as did my Dakota Digital cluster. Stock piling parts now but will be fun to start assembling ....some day.

New gauge set..yay! I love the lines. They almost mirror some of the hard body lines so I think it will look right at home. Also got their CAN bus module so no need to mount sensors on the motor, can just pull everything I need directly from OBDII port.

I did some pre-measuring and should be able to make it fit nicely with a few mods but it's going to be a tight fit.

I wanted to make a mounting template but can't find sheet metal anywhere. No 18 or 20 gauge scrap at the metal yard and no smaller sheets in retail anywhere. A local body shop gave me a leftover piece of a new quarter panel they cut up for a job. I found a mostly flat spot, cut out what I needed and hammered it flat. When the template is cut and ready, I plan to measure everything 3 or 4 more times at least before I make any cuts in the dash.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Been making progress but hard to carve out enough time with everything else going on. Engine and transmission are in now. Still no transfer case. It's a new model so the tuner is working to figure out the SW for all the electronics.

Got the gas tank, hard brake lines and new steering box in as well....baby steps

ended up welding the nuts to the frame for the gas tank so it will be easy to remove once the body is installed...just in case I need to. made some rubber gaskets for in between the mounts and the under side of the frame rail. Had some extra rubber laying around and figured a little extra damping can't hurt

dropped a bunch of parts at the powder coat a few weeks back. hoping they'll be done before Thanksgiving but likely the week after. Everything seems to take longer than expected. Once they're here I can start assembling window frames etc.

I've spent most of the time I have had to work on the jeep trying to figure out how to best modify the dash to fit the new instrument cluster. I went to 4-5 local shops to see about having it done just to take something off my plate. A few didn't even want to deal with it and the few that did had insane quotes and wouldn't have it done until sometime next year....I decided to figure it out myself.

a lot of taping, welding in cross bracing and figuring before making the first cut...and then a lot more thinking

no turning back now ...except I had to redo cross bracing. Not sure what I was thinking when I first welded it in but didn't leave myself room to work :banghead:

at least 4-5 different cardboard mock up designs to try and figure what would work best

Blew out the right side on one of my first tacks. Was trying to weld it from the back and didn't have a good view and no room to move the welder and just like that it burned through. Slowed down, moved everything around, added some more lighting before going any further. Will fix that later but for now it's pretty well set.

Have an idea on the top but still noodling. Once it's all welded in and ground down I use duraglass and bodywork it to smooth lines. I think it will look good when done but I understand why no one wanted to do it. Fun all the same and I think I'll be pleased when it's done knowing I did it.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Matt,
Good to see you are still gettin after it, and doing great work! You are making speedy progress.

I would have been a little freaked out about cutting the top of my dash out as well.
I mentally pictured your gauge cluster fitting down in the original hole, recessed a little like more modern rigs. I didn't realize you were opening up the top of the dash. I am sure it will look great when done, just surprised me. It is hard to gauge sizes/fitment from photos. I can't tell, but did you consider your look angle from the driver seat in the angle of the gauge cluster?

On the motor, I will be interested in how the ECM work goes. I was reading that GM decided to encrypt the ECM's on the 2020+ vehicles. This is causing the tuners all sorts of challenges. Seems odd considering the hype about L8T being a hotrodder's dream and GM supposedly coming out with a crate motor version. I truly hope your shop can get it worked out to at least delete the VAT and allow it to run as stand-alone.

My wife is understanding, but not enough to let me dry painted parts on the bed or cut/weld a dash in the living room.. 8^)
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

jpswapmohn wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:53 pm Matt,
Good to see you are still gettin after it, and doing great work! You are making speedy progress.

I would have been a little freaked out about cutting the top of my dash out as well.
I mentally pictured your gauge cluster fitting down in the original hole, recessed a little like more modern rigs. I didn't realize you were opening up the top of the dash. I am sure it will look great when done, just surprised me. It is hard to gauge sizes/fitment from photos. I can't tell, but did you consider your look angle from the driver seat in the angle of the gauge cluster?

On the motor, I will be interested in how the ECM work goes. I was reading that GM decided to encrypt the ECM's on the 2020+ vehicles. This is causing the tuners all sorts of challenges. Seems odd considering the hype about L8T being a hotrodder's dream and GM supposedly coming out with a crate motor version. I truly hope your shop can get it worked out to at least delete the VAT and allow it to run as stand-alone.

My wife is understanding, but not enough to let me dry painted parts on the bed or cut/weld a dash in the living room.. 8^)
Thanks.

I thought and was hoping I could get it to fit it in without cutting but wasn't going to happen. The angles on the pictures I posted earlier didn't really convey how much larger the dash was. With the dash radius shape declines as it goes to the driver A pillar and back toward the windshield, it was really really small. My choice was go back to OE style or slightly smaller aftermarket unit or just cut it. A lot of pondering before the first cut but my mind was set on the new cluster when i got my hands on it. I had already talked myself into it after looking at the machined bezel, convincing myself the angles on of the design perfectly match some of the exterior body lines and the guage color itself is almost a perfect match for the chalk exterior ...it was meant to be, i told myself ! :D

First cut was hardest and now I'm past the heartache and actually kind of excited. I've did a poor man mock up it up from the driver position (wood blocks and a five gallon bucket to get the right seating position) with dash clamped in place to make sure I had a good view. As part of the mock up process I finalized on the gauges being layed back a few degrees from horizontal to give a good view. That requires the front edge to be raised.

I won't know for sure until I get the top of the dash rebuilt and finalized and can install the dash in the jeep, with the steering column in place but I'm feeling like it's good. More like the modern dash you mentally pictured, i hope! Just to be safe, I did find a second hand dash on one of the jeep recycle sites before cutting so I had that to fall back on.

Yeah a lot of hype on L8T for muscle car and restomod market. I talked it over with the tuner before I bought and we're replacing with ECU with an L86 per 2018 ECU and a custom harness so that gets us around the encryption. And with no AFM or DoD that simplifies things. Encryption on 2020+ is crazy and horribly expensive if you can even get the tools. Nobody I know of really has it worked out. I kept the factory computer and harness as well so if they aftermarket gets that figured out I can always swap back to all factory solution in the future.

T-Case has been the pain. For some reason, the 6L90 doesn't have a range sensor like most other GM transfer cases so getting the tuners custom module to work right and still haven't gotten it figured out. Can live without that for now. At least now I can get the body on and test fitted to make sure no issues with trans tunnel clearance. Perhaps there is some black magic secret sauce for the t-case happening in the 2020 ECU that we don't even know about. They're going over all the wiring diagrams and electronics and haven't figure it out yet. Another customer of theirs is doing a diesel swap and using the same t-case so now they're working on it for more than me.

I guess that's what makes these projects all the more satisfying when done.

to be fair to your wife, no dash cutting occurred indoor ;-)
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Got my new master cylinder from BJs for the hydroboost unit.

Waiting for all dynamat to get here. Was supposed to be here friday and I planned to get it all installed this weekend but shipping times are getting worse and no new date so will just wait and see.

Didn't get the body on for a test fit either but have a few guys lined up this week to help so hopefully that'll happen soon.

Fortunately I had the dash to keep me busy so focused on that between dinners and family the last few days. Finished welding it up and started finishing.

got the lines I wanted. Still need to grind and clean up a few welds but this is final shape

first step of bodywork done. Took out some of the hard lines from the weld. Still have some low spots on the right and left top side i need to take care of. Cold here so taking longer for the duraglass to cure.

quick test fit to see. I decided to have the left side radius taper down toward the A pillar similar to the factory dash. Still need to do some work to smooth out the curve at top but close.

You can see the low spots on the left and right. May get to those tomorrow. Definitely in the next couple of days.

definitely more work than I expected and definitely wasn't planned but happy with it.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

awesome progress there! love that you re doing the dash too. I have had it on my mind for moths to do something to it too, but I thought it would be above my skill level. one thing that annoys me on the original dash is that the 3 gauges do not center line with the steering wheel, I would love to take that part and move it to the right so I can get 2 of those Dakota Digital HDX-2014 dials in there - centered to the steering wheel, I have been photoshopping it to do a digital test fit and compare to the OG dash, but it would involve creating a new dashed too, how are you going to tackle that?
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:10 am awesome progress there! love that you re doing the dash too. I have had it on my mind for moths to do something to it too, but I thought it would be above my skill level. one thing that annoys me on the original dash is that the 3 gauges do not center line with the steering wheel, I would love to take that part and move it to the right so I can get 2 of those Dakota Digital HDX-2014 dials in there - centered to the steering wheel, I have been photoshopping it to do a digital test fit and compare to the OG dash, but it would involve creating a new dashed too, how are you going to tackle that?
Thanks. I've never done a dash before so don't let that stop ya. I thought about it a lot, made cardboard templates and then just took my time. It isn't award winning fabrication and I'm sure not to everyone's liking but it is solid and what I wanted and that's the fun part of making something for yourself.

I,too, struggled a bit with the off center layout. Buying individual gauges and building your own cluster is probably the only option. I actually considered cutting more of the right side of the dash out to try and get it closer to center but decided it wasn't worth it. Well beyond my skills and I don't have time. The 2014 HDX is a beautiful set of gauges. If you decide to got that way, would love to see your Photoshop rendering.

Not sure I understood your last question. Did you mean creating a new dashpad too? If so, I'm leaving that to the professionals. I'm having the full interior done. That's one thing I wouldn't even try and tackle. I want it to be nice since that is where I'll be spending most of my time when it's done. Should be right :)
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Laredo Matt wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:38 am Not sure I understood your last question. Did you mean creating a new dashpad too? If so, I'm leaving that to the professionals. I'm having the full interior done. That's one thing I wouldn't even try and tackle. I want it to be nice since that is where I'll be spending most of my time when it's done. Should be right :)
Got it, I'll be letting the pro's handle the upholstery as well, but I am considering making some close to original door panels and I'll be fabricating a full center console somehow to handle my new shifter, once done it will all need to be upholstered, but as you are I'm sending it off.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:41 am
Laredo Matt wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:38 am Not sure I understood your last question. Did you mean creating a new dashpad too? If so, I'm leaving that to the professionals. I'm having the full interior done. That's one thing I wouldn't even try and tackle. I want it to be nice since that is where I'll be spending most of my time when it's done. Should be right :)
Got it, I'll be letting the pro's handle the upholstery as well, but I am considering making some close to original door panels and I'll be fabricating a full center console somehow to handle my new shifter, once done it will all need to be upholstered, but as you are I'm sending it off.
are you running a manual transmission, I don't recall? I'm doing a center console as well with automatic transmission and also want to put a Lokar shifter on the floor vs. column column. Still work on a layout where everything fits and layout is natural and comfortable.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Laredo Matt wrote:
wimsurf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:41 am
Laredo Matt wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:38 am
are you running a manual transmission, I don't recall? I'm doing a center console as well with automatic transmission and also want to put a Lokar shifter on the floor vs. column column. Still work on a layout where everything fits and layout is natural and comfortable.
No not a manual, I’m running a 8hp70 auto gearbox which has an electronic shifter with a manual BEEP mode (push forward- pull back)

It’s basically the ugly t-shaped shifter from a Dodge Challenger, but luckily I found a decent looking vintage style shiftknob for it.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Matt, the massaging you did to the dash looks great. Way to get after your vision. It was hard to tell in the photos, but I assumed you had considered view angle. It is already looking really cool and will look sweet once finished.

I had not thought of using a slightly older L86 ECM on the L8T! Great to know that works. I guess it makes sense that the ECU doesn't really care what iron and alloy it is plugged into as long as it gets the signals it is looking for.

No suggestion on the t-case. I plan to use the NP242 currently in my rig with the Novak adapter. I like the manual shift and ability to run "AWD" if wanted. I upgraded it with the Tom Woods kit some time ago.

Keep up the momentum!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Made some progress this last week

First big step was to get the body back on the chassis for the first time since it came off toward the end of March.

First attempt to get it set didn't work too well. Had clearance issues with heads/valve covers hitting the passenger side firewall.... backed the body off while I tried to figure out what went wrong. Stinkbug jeep.

First thought was L8T was a bit larger than other Gen V engines and I'd have to notch the firewall. I was supremely confident the mounts were right but reached out to Novak. Also reached out to Sonared to see how that would impact plans for vintage air unit. Both were very helpful. In the end, turned out my supreme confidence was worth very little...the engine side mounts were on backward. Pulled engine, reversed the mounts...problems solved. Lesson learned and happy it was just my mistake and easily fixed.

Happy to see them back together

BTW, anyone considering a Gen V swap, the Novak Gen V mounts bolt directly to factory mount location and are perfect ...when installed correctly :P

I got everything back from powder coat so that was a nice surprise before the weekend. Another step closer to starting to assemble things.

and the number of new or like new parts is growing.

Once I got the body on, started to put some dynamat in. So far have the roof interior done, one door and the tailgate. Will finish the second door and then do inside quarter panels. If I have enough will do floor and firewall in full coverage or partial in key areas if I don't have enough.

measure and cut pieces for the roof

doors and tailgate next

ordered new power seat bases out of an 82 Wagoneer so I can mount my factory low back buckets to them directly and they'll be direct fit to factory floor mount location. Hope those will be here in about a week and after some clean up will test fit with new steering column, dash etc. Then will install dynamat on floor and start getting all wiring laid out before the jeep goes to upholstery. Josh Oman, a FSJN member, has been a valuable resource electrical planning and parts. His work is quality and he's been a great resource..thanks Josh.

Will to upholstery end of Jan. I still have a ton of other things to do before that but feeling more optimistic I can meet that date than I did a few weeks ago.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

jpswapmohn wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:48 pm Matt, the massaging you did to the dash looks great. Way to get after your vision. It was hard to tell in the photos, but I assumed you had considered view angle. It is already looking really cool and will look sweet once finished.

I had not thought of using a slightly older L86 ECM on the L8T! Great to know that works. I guess it makes sense that the ECU doesn't really care what iron and alloy it is plugged into as long as it gets the signals it is looking for.

No suggestion on the t-case. I plan to use the NP242 currently in my rig with the Novak adapter. I like the manual shift and ability to run "AWD" if wanted. I upgraded it with the Tom Woods kit some time ago.

Keep up the momentum!

Thanks.

I did consider view angle and think it will be just fine now after some tweaks to original design. That involved cutting welds and rework but I think it's in a good place now.

The cluster is clearly off center from the steering wheel. No real way to avoid that with the dash size I decided on. I was a little concerned but the speed and primary digital display are visible and good, so I think I can live with it just fine. The only way I could figure to get it centered would have been to basically build a whole left half of the dash differently and that was a bridge too far. Will do one more test fit when new seats mounts are in together with steering column just to make sure but think I'll be good ...fingers crossed.

As for ECU, it's fairly common i've learned with these swaps. I have the factory ECU and full harness so if in the future they get through the encryption and there is a reason to revert back I can but not sure it will ever make sense. Given this is from the Silverado 2500 HD, a lot of those are fleet trucks, it doesn't have fancy stuff like displacement on demand or AFM so the older ECU should be just fine. Given all the issues I've read about with oil burn and trying to delete AFM I didn't want those anyway so this was perfect.

cheers, matt
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

In case you can't tell, I am following your build pretty closely. 8^)
Thanks for answering my questions. I am really interested in the L8T.

Seeing your powder coated bumpers, did you or they have to do any repairs to get them smooth? I have a few scrapes/dents in mine.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

Laredo Matt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:56 pm Made some progress this last week

First big step was to get the body back on the chassis for the first time since it came off toward the end of March.

First attempt to get it set didn't work too well. Had clearance issues with heads/valve covers hitting the passenger side firewall.... backed the body off while I tried to figure out what went wrong. Stinkbug jeep.

First thought was L8T was a bit larger than other Gen V engines and I'd have to notch the firewall. I was supremely confident the mounts were right but reached out to Novak. Also reached out to Sonared to see how that would impact plans for vintage air unit. Both were very helpful. In the end, turned out my supreme confidence was worth very little...the engine side mounts were on backward. Pulled engine, reversed the mounts...problems solved. Lesson learned and happy it was just my mistake and easily fixed.

Happy to see them back together

BTW, anyone considering a Gen V swap, the Novak Gen V mounts bolt directly to factory mount location and are perfect ...when installed correctly :P

I got everything back from powder coat so that was a nice surprise before the weekend. Another step closer to starting to assemble things.

and the number of new or like new parts is growing.

Once I got the body on, started to put some dynamat in. So far have the roof interior done, one door and the tailgate. Will finish the second door and then do inside quarter panels. If I have enough will do floor and firewall in full coverage or partial in key areas if I don't have enough.

measure and cut pieces for the roof

doors and tailgate next

ordered new power seat bases out of an 82 Wagoneer so I can mount my factory low back buckets to them directly and they'll be direct fit to factory floor mount location. Hope those will be here in about a week and after some clean up will test fit with new steering column, dash etc. Then will install dynamat on floor and start getting all wiring laid out before the jeep goes to upholstery. Josh Oman, a FSJN member, has been a valuable resource electrical planning and parts. His work is quality and he's been a great resource..thanks Josh.

Will to upholstery end of Jan. I still have a ton of other things to do before that but feeling more optimistic I can meet that date than I did a few weeks ago.
I appreciate it! I just try to help others out here with my specialties and knowledge, just like others do with their specialties and knowledge. And yours has been a fun a one. Ready to see the "finished" product. I just write finished like that, because we are never really finished. Lol

Josh
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

jpswapmohn wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:58 am In case you can't tell, I am following your build pretty closely. 8^)
Thanks for answering my questions. I am really interested in the L8T.

Seeing your powder coated bumpers, did you or they have to do any repairs to get them smooth? I have a few scrapes/dents in mine.
I did noticed. I have a few L8T open issues to work out still so will keep you posted. Biggest open question is fuel system. I'm going with a PWM fuel pump and had them add wiring to the new harness I can use to run fuel system and electric fan. I may end up deciding to go with a stand alone PWM controller. Might be one of those things that is easier to do given the ECU switch. Still doing some research.

The bumpers were a last minute rush decision to have powder coated with everything else so I scrambled to get the rusted mounts cut off and get them down. Initially thought I'd like to upgrade bumpers but couldn't really find something I like. Mine were in good shape to begin with and didn't need much work so decided to keep them for now. They just sanded and sprayed.

cheers.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E