1986 Grand Wagoneer Cummins R2.8 Swap

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
BaldBeardedBastard

Re: 1986 Grand Wagoneer Cummins R2.8 Swap

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

Progress!ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

derf

Post by derf »

Very nice

Topic author
BaldBeardedBastard

Updates! Motor is plumbed(mostly), BJ's aluminum tank is in( made to fit and still needed massaging to get in), drivetrain in and new driveshafts, lokar sport shift in. Now it's time to wire everything and get it talking. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Build Thread

Topic author
BaldBeardedBastard

Future reference for those that need it- this is the easiest connect to tap into the CAN bus, located on the top front of the motor near the top water line. God knows why they are using a three pin for a two wire connection, but there you go. This is where the Compushift trans controller is going to wire in to get throttle position, engine speed, etc info. ImageImage

Build Thread

Topic author
BaldBeardedBastard

And last but not least, here is the new gauge cluster coming from Dakota Digital this week. This was modeled off of the other gentleman's design referenced earlier for a 85 or earlier to work on the >1986 models. ImageImageImage

Build Thread

derf

Post by derf »

Very nice

Topic author
BaldBeardedBastard

Thanks Derf!

It may be the first fsj Cummins 2.8 swap, but it appears it's not the first amc!
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1811 ... 7-gremlin/

Build Thread

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

I've got a 90 or 91 wagoneer sitting in my driveway that I've been holding for my buddy until he got some things in his life settled and could take it back and work on it. Might run as is, but he and I both dream of diesels... and I've been looking at this thing for going on 5 years now, I think? Starting to take a shine to it. Did you manage to get this all wrapped up? And if yes, how is it? how is the mileage? The thing that worries me the most about this vehicle is the 13mpg if I'm lucky and have a tail wind. I was pretty excited to see these cummins engines that put out better HP and torque numbers than the original gas engine, but with half the displacement and a turbo. I read somewhere about a nissan titan getting in the 30's for fuel economy, and that's roughly the same weight (maybe 1000 lbs more??) than the grand wagoneer, so would expect to get numbers close to that, 20's for city driving, 30's on the highway. What a great vehicle this would be if I could afford to drive it anywhere!

Topic author
BaldBeardedBastard

Still a work in progress, but huge milestone last week- it runs! Still need to sort out the transmission controller programming and hydroboost, but progress is progress.

Build Thread

230ohc

Post by 230ohc »

Nice setup.
1964 willys wagoneer
Om617 turbo diesel
Ax15
Dana 300
3.73 dana 27 front
3.73 dana 44 rear

treetopflyer910

Post by treetopflyer910 »

BBB, you mentioned "notching the firewall". Any more pictures of that? What was the purpose for such? i.e. interference, better D/S angles (use existing drive shafts?), better location for cross-member mount? You used the Axis engine mounts, I assume you fabbed-up the frame portion of the mounts? any insight there? Finally, Are you going to run A/C? I'm trying to figure out packaging for the radiator>intercooler>A/C condenser> and a tranny cooler.
Nice build, keep it coming!

mpatty

Post by mpatty »

Any update on this? Trying to find info on an R2.8 swap and so far this is the only one I have found.

DeveDanders

Post by DeveDanders »

mpatty wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:16 pm Any update on this? Trying to find info on an R2.8 swap and so far this is the only one I have found.
I'm at the beginning of my J200 R2.8 build here: https://www.repowerowners.com/forum/r2- ... uild/page2

DeveDanders

Post by DeveDanders »

I'm very eager to hear/see how this one turns out! Great work!

Topic author
BaldBeardedBastard

Hey everybody- its sure been a while. Got caught up in the past year and a half of 'rolling with the punches' and haven't gotten the chance to update this thread.

The rig is running and been going through the paces/pains of getting it legal in California. Finally got a path forward( Google "Jalopnik VT") so getting it on the road now. Should have some running down the road video for it in the coming weeks.

@Treetopflyer- let me go snap a few pictures and I will post them up.

I will be installing the new gauge panel in November along with hopefully getting the new steering shaft in to delete the rag joint. I want to see if that adds enough precision in the steering so I don't need to swap steering box. Also the low pressure feed line from the power steering reservoir sweats, so I need to change that out with a rated line.

We are planning to try a shake out trip to Mendocino in November if the gutter mount Thule mounts ever get not backordered for the RTT(etrailer has moved the goal post on me twice so who knows). Its a good motivator for getting the rig sorted.

So all in all in the fun stage of buttoning up details and shaking out the fun small breaks with a project vehicle.
Build Thread

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Hozabout splaining what you went through to get it registered?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
BaldBeardedBastard

Before or after the goat sacrifice? ;-)

I went through the DMV and tried to work with the BAR on the Cummins- the main hitch is that it's a crate motor and never been installed in a production vehicle. It didn't matter that the truck is pre-97 and would be smog exempt. Tried two different times back and forth via email- couldn't get in person due to the world being upside down. Hell I even worked with Cummins tech support and they were ultimately willing to send over emissions reports to support.

To cut the red tape I ended up using the VT loophole and getting a title/reg that has the correct fuel type and re-registering locally. Absurd and convoluted, but it worked.

Jalopnik has a good article on it if you are keen to learn more.

Build Thread

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Lot of work to get it registered that way, but glad it worked for you.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

iharding

Post by iharding »

Stuka wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:54 pm Lot of work to get it registered that way, but glad it worked for you.
The states are all so different. In WA they don't ask any questions about what engine you have. It rolls in the garage with one, and out with another. No emissions anymore for ANY cars because they realized new cars all pass and old cars don't have to.

The VT trick won't technically work here... if you "live" here (have a WA driver's license) your car has to be registered here.

Topic author
BaldBeardedBastard

It's just to get the registration sorted. You register in your state with the VT title/registration after.

Build Thread