Self Taught garbage fire (I need a name)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

Self Taught garbage fire (I need a name)

Post by TitaniaDieKrieger »

Hello everybody. I had another thread on here but the thread was dead and I wasn't feeling the name so I decided to start fresh. So to recap.
I have a 79 Cherokee Chief that I picked up after I enlisted as my first vehicle.
25.jpg
I was immediately suckerpunched by needing a rebuilt transmission. 2500 bucks later the new starter they installed was faulty so had to take it back.

I tinkered on it here and there. Changed the oil, got new shocks, replaced the belts. All the standard stuff.
24.jpg
Then I got into bigger stuff. Motor mounts were shot just like every other rubber part. Thankfully my base had an auto shop. (I learned most of what I know from Enrique an old tech with too much patience)
33.jpg
One of my mirrors was busted so I went to the junk yard and snagged a mirror off an old chevy work truck.

Made a short 200 mile roadtrip for the holidays and I got to say refueling these things sucks at the pump but its a hell of a lot worse on the side of the highway out of a crappy fuel container.

From there I decided to tear out the stanky carpet and found a bit of a mess.
27.jpg
28.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cheapthrills

Re: Self Taught garbage fire (I need a name)

Post by Cheapthrills »

Good looking ride. Man that rust is bad.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

You in Germany? What branch of Service?

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

29.jpg
30.jpg
Well turns out removing rust can be hard or it can be easy. Here is a hint. Don't use tin snips
21.jpg
This picture is from a much later date after I had cleaned it all out.
The first time I did this the wrong way. I ran out of time so I just decided to screw the new floor pans in with sheet metal screws. Then I put it off for 3-4 years until I bought a welder and learned how to weld.
Now I don't want to upset any body workers in here but I only cut out the passenger side. The drivers side was still covered in holes just tones of small holes. So I just screwed the new panel over top of the old floor. It'll fix itself eventually.
And since what remained of the side panels was ugly and crap I chucked them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:You in Germany? What branch of Service?
Air Force and Nope I'm in New Mexico now.

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

After I was content with half assing the rust repair job I turned my focus to another issue that alluded me up until just last year.
With the quadratrac transfer case the chain would jump if I accelerated to hard. Easily enough I bought another quadratrac off of a local guy. I cleaned it up and only used about 30 curse words getting it back in. It fixed the jumping! Awesome but as I got to turn I hear and feel a thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk.
I was clueless so I searched and asked the forum and replaced U joints, checked the hubs, checked steering linkage, checked drive shaft, pulled the front axle shafts and they looked kinda bent so I ordered some chromoly shafts
31.jpg
Long story short they didn't.
So I checked the diffs and fluids, Checked the transfer case for issues and made sure the E drive wasn't stuck on.
Checked everything I could search for and nothing. So there it sat. unusable until I can find this gremlin. I did find other stuff to do in the mean time. I replaced the spark plug wires and because I'm an idiot and put the wires on the wrong plugs which caused the engine to stall when I tried to change gears. I got really good at timing the throttle to keep it running. I thought it was the carb so I pulled the carb and cleaned it up. It needed a new float so I did my best at rebuilding it and setting the tune right. Eventually Enrique helped me fix the wires and it ran like a champ. I had pictures for all this stuff on my old phone but it died and I lost the pictures. only a few I was able to recover.

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

I also decided to fix my fuel system. This is what the pickup looked like.
32.jpg
Also picked up a poly tank and junked the old tank. as well as cleaned out the lines and got new rubber hoses

Spent some time with trying to get my gauges to work and the ignition switch linkage snapped off inside the steering shaft so I had to pull the shaft out and rebuilt it
9.jpg
After all this I put the thing on sideways
8.jpg
That will fix itself someday. Sadly after 6 months of deployment my jeep was still not fixed.

pro tip. if you need to start your jeep you can unscrew the ignition switch from the base of the steering shaft and use a screwdriver to manually push the switch.
14.jpg

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

Borg Warner 1339 Quadra trac transfer case clunking - sticking quadra trac clutch -
In hopes that if someone else has this issue they will find this info.
If your clutch cones in the 1339 transfer case are sticking it will cause a nasty clunking sound when turning. I ended up swapping out the cones for a set from another case and it solved the issue.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

It sounds like quite the journey of learning. I hope it wasn't your only mode of transportation. I have long since learned that having a dependable vehicle available to get to/from work, etc. allows me to not get too frustrated with my old jeep habit. If it is broken and has to sit in the garage or driveway for a few days or weeks while I take a break from the effort, it keeps the hobby more enjoyable and the frustration level down.

I do understand, as I had a 76 cherokee that really tested my resolve for over a year. All would seem correct and then it would leave me on the side of the interstate on random mornings. Eventually, it sat other than short weekend trips until I finally found the cause and fixed it. Enjoyed it for a while and when I was convinced it was dependable, gave it to my Dad to use as a fishing rig. It never gave him any trouble up to the point he agreed to let a kid in his church buy it.

It sounds like you stuck with it, and I hope that the adventure led to your vested interest in salvaging the rig and eventually getting real enjoyment from it!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Hi,
Those QuadraTracs are a pain in the butt sometimes.
A source for QuadraTrac help: http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

jpswapmohn wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:08 pm It sounds like quite the journey of learning. I hope it wasn't your only mode of transportation. I have long since learned that having a dependable vehicle available to get to/from work, etc. allows me to not get too frustrated with my old jeep habit. If it is broken and has to sit in the garage or driveway for a few days or weeks while I take a break from the effort, it keeps the hobby more enjoyable and the frustration level down.

I do understand, as I had a 76 cherokee that really tested my resolve for over a year. All would seem correct and then it would leave me on the side of the interstate on random mornings. Eventually, it sat other than short weekend trips until I finally found the cause and fixed it. Enjoyed it for a while and when I was convinced it was dependable, gave it to my Dad to use as a fishing rig. It never gave him any trouble up to the point he agreed to let a kid in his church buy it.

It sounds like you stuck with it, and I hope that the adventure led to your vested interest in salvaging the rig and eventually getting real enjoyment from it!
at first it was but I got tired of getting chewed out for being late for work and having to take the greyhound to visit family. It has been a learning experience and great fun. Right now its with a guy I know getting a full cage built. Almost done and then I will post up pictures.

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

fulsizjeep wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:56 am Hi,
Those QuadraTracs are a pain in the butt sometimes.
A source for QuadraTrac help: http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm
That sites a great help but it still took years to connect the dots.

will e

Post by will e »

jpswapmohn wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:08 pm It I hope it wasn't your only mode of transportation. I have long since learned that having a dependable vehicle available to get to/from work, etc. allows me to not get too frustrated with my old jeep habit. If it is broken and has to sit in the garage or driveway for a few days or weeks while I take a break from the effort, it keeps the hobby more enjoyable and the frustration level down.
Be careful of the 'dark side'. Where the rig becomes an ornament and a place to put boxes on. ;) It is nice to have time to walk away or take a few weekends to get the job done. When mine was the daily driver I always had to rush to get everything done over the weekends.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

TitaniaDieKrieger wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:19 am That sites a great help but it still took years to connect the dots.
I connected the dots the first time I tore one completely down. Up until then, it was frickin magic.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

received_1314379285617223.jpeg
Good news the chief is back from it's journey to get a cage. It took a year and many obstacles to get done but it sure does look great.
received_1341000842750340.jpeg
received_500818147528463.jpeg
I wanted to keep access to the back seats and managed to get it tucked pretty well. Plans are to have to tied into the frame and sliders added. Until then I was able to take a couple weekends and have some fun.
I also got rid of the ampmeter in exchange for a Voltmeter and just in time because the wiring was a little melty.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

The cage looks good, and they did manage to get it tucked up in there nicely. I am digging your A-pillar bars as they don't look like they would get in the way of passengers getting in and out. Out of curiosity, how did they get everything welded up completely with it tucked up so tight? I want to put a light cage in mine but don't want it to interfere with passenger space.

Glad to see you are still at it!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

jpswapmohn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:19 pm The cage looks good, and they did manage to get it tucked up in there nicely. I am digging your A-pillar bars as they don't look like they would get in the way of passengers getting in and out. Out of curiosity, how did they get everything welded up completely with it tucked up so tight? I want to put a light cage in mine but don't want it to interfere with passenger space.

Glad to see you are still at it!
The key is it comes apart in sections
The a pillers and halo are one piece
B Piller hoop
C Piller hoop
Roof section joins them together
Everything comes out through the rear tailgate.
I'll get more pictures later.

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

Unfortunately on my last weekend wheeling trip I grenaded the QT. I did my best to maintain it but things happen. I'm now on the hunt for a Dana 300 and either a tf727 or a good price on a adapter for the th400. Someone snatched an adapter off eBay for $400 right in front of me.

I did manage to make a couple improvements by wiring in a Voltmeter and an accessory power socket. Short term plans are to improve engine cooling and have working gauges. On the plus side I drove around in the mountains for about 4 hours and didn't run out of gas.

Topic author
TitaniaDieKrieger

Here is the QT at its untimely death
39.jpg
Well after a couple weeks of searching I tracked down a deal on a dana 300. It was just about 5 hours north. So I bribed my wife into keeping me company and went to get it.

I didn't realize until I got home that it was a d20 not a 300 but it came with a bonus T18, only mostly glued together.
37.jpg
900 bucks later and I'm ready to get this thing cleaned up.
34.jpg
35.jpg
Easier said than done I guess. I was right about it being glued together
36.jpg

bigun

Re: Self Taught garbage fire (Ineed a name)

Post by bigun »

Sorry man I haven't been as active as I had been in the past while I am not sure if what is in the parts stash anymore I am pretty sure I could have saved you a trip to SantaFe, :banghead:
One of the reason's Crom came about was I found out the only thing holding my feet up in the Cherokee was the carpet, The J 20 cab floors were as rusty but there was less of them to replace