1978 Chief WT - Code Name Gerald

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
irondawg

Re: 1978 Chief WT - Code Name Gerald

Post by irondawg »

Work continues but nothing to write about. I've disassembled the front and rear vent windows, door handles and other bits that will get refurbished. I've cleaned the glass of the 70's era window tint and have them ready. I bought some 89' Waggy power mirrors but the bases are shorter than the stock mirrors. I had to run to the shop this morning and get them to weld up the back mounting holes before any work continued. I'm fabricating backing plates to support the extra weight of the power mirrors. The power mirrors are quite a bit heavier than the small stock ones.

@Stuka - yep...that's will be the body color. It looks like a darker baby blue. I like the stock baby blue but it was too bright so with a lot of looking around found a color closer to what I had in mind and went one step further and added a little gray to it.

I'm going to start mocking up wiring for the tailgate and power locks. I've refurbished the tailgate motor and have an older remote power lock kit to play with.

I've also found a good drivers side vent window with a good latch that's on the way. Once I get that, I'll send the parts off for powder coating.
1978 Cherokee Chief WT in a thousand pieces
Previous Jeep: 2001 Grand Cherokee

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

I wasn't going to write about this but figured someone might benefit. I've been working on the vent windows. All the rubber is dry rotted and needs replacement. Also, the drivers side latch shaft is worn out to the point it needs replacement. I did find a good vent window and it's on the way. In the meantime, I've been disassembling the vent windows. I've bought vent window repair kit and rivet kit.

Here's what I'm starting with. I've laid out the new parts before I took it apart so that I have something to reference.

The thick chrome piece is what most of the vent window frame is riveted too so care must be taken when removing the rivets.

There's two door mounting brackets that must be taken off and reused.

Most of the rivets were loose and when I tried to drill them out. all they did was spin. I didn't want to wedge a screwdriver between the chrome piece and the window runner (new piece) so I tried using a carbide tip dremel bit.

This worked but took a long time. I ended up using the wedge screwdriver method but also used a center punch to punch out the rivets once I had enough material drilled off. The center punch worked great and I had the second vent window disassembled in no time.

Once this was done I sand blasted all the parts and primed them. I was thinking to paint but will instead get them powdercoated black.

Here's the cleaned parts laid out as each piece needs to be in the right position. If you're not careful, it would be easy to rivet a piece in the wrong position.

My first attempt at riveting the brackets on was not that great. Holding the vent track and the bracket and the rivet tool and to hammer this all so that everything is lined up and straight is a bear. Plus the little tool that came with the rivets is junk. Here's what they looked at after a couple attempts.

And these are the easier rivets to get at. What you need is a cupped die and the rivet tool with the center pin to keep things lined up. Also, if you don't keep things straight, the vent track bends easy and widens if you don't keep watch.

This wasn't going to work so I called it a night. Next day I was searching aircraft builders sites to see if I could find the right dies for these rivets and no luck. I tried using a couple of rivet bucking bars I have but these are for 3/8" rivets for aircraft and were way too big.

After a long search, I found a tool that might work off of a Corvette website. Here it is...

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvett ... lsrc=aw.ds

I had to do some modification to one of the dies so it fit in the vent track. I used a grinder with flappy wheel and took a bit off each side. The die is oversized to begin with and even with it cut down, the rivet fit perfectly and had no overhang.

I used a vise to hold the tool which helped with making sure everything is aligned.

Once it's all aligned, it's a simple matter of tightening a bolt. However, I had to practice a bit as the first rivet I used too much torque and the rivet split but is super tight. The second one came out perfect.

On the next bracket, both rivets are just right. The bracket are nice and tight. This should help with the vent window being secure and should not move when installed in the door.

I've stopped here as I'm gathering up all the parts that will be powdercoated black.

Next up is mocking up wiring for power mirrors and tailgate motor. I'll also be headed to the shop to help with final paint (sanding) and how we will apply the Raptor Liner on the rockers and fender flares.

CU4WHLN

Post by CU4WHLN »

Tick Tock !

I keep checking back to see if you updated anything yet.. Maybe I am impatient! lol

Anyway, the Camaro fan... I got it and adapted it to BJs alum rad. It fits very well. BUT - I do not yet have the gor back from powder coating. That will be the final litmus test. Detail on the fan are in my thread if interested.

[imgImage][/img]
It's not YOURS until you BLEED on it !

+ 01 XJ Cream Puff +16 JK Daily Driver + 85 CJ locked and loaded
+ 03 Rubi + 77 Chief 401 + 79 Chero - Madness: Sold

77 Gen V swap http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457
77 401 build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... ief+begins
79 "Madness" build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... ief+begins

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

That setup looks good. I like that the inlet/outlets are on one side too. Keeps the plumbing down. Why 2 coolers? Doesn't the rad have tranny cooler? I see two bungs on the left.

Not much work going on right now except a lot of sanding and prepping for paint. Plus I installed a mini-split A/C unit in the garage last week that took most of my time. It wasn't difficult but did have to cut hole in brick and walls. I should have done this years ago. The garage cools about 20 degrees but more importantly de-humidifies.

The other things I'm working on is cleaning up the glass and I''ve got all the parts prepped that are going to get semi-gloss black powdercoating.

I've also bought a couple of relay kits from sirrus and rewired them for negative switching for power locks and tailgate window since I'm not using stock wiring.

CU4WHLN

Post by CU4WHLN »

I have read and reread your build several times now. Have been waiting on next step info. Like I said, I might be impatient ! lol

Understand completely the other obligations in life and that home projects demand [need] attention! I think I mentioned in one of my previous posts that time is a precious resource... I know mine is. I have made progress due to the shutdown of this state and work for 10 weeks!. Working from home leaves a lot of gaps in my day. My work computer has grease on the keys now! :ugeek:

As for the 2 coolers.. yes, BJs Gen V rad has an integrated trans cooler... BUT - temperature is the enemy of trans durability... So an external air to oil cooler is going in as well. The trans has a thermostat that will regulate [control] the trans temp fluid - that's the external part on the trans lines on the driver side.

The other cooler is for the PS and Hydra boost brakes. Yes, like you said, there is no room for a vacuum booster. Again, temp is the enemy so the PS system will get a cooler as well. I hear it all to often on the trail.. "whining" PS pumps.. that because the fluid gets too hot and aerates. :shock:

Remember, I plan to tow cross country with our trailer... I want things cool and durable. Rather do it up front when it's easy vs a later add on.
Cooler fluids are never really bad..... This I know from extensive development testing on many stock Jeeps... It's what I do.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

I check out your write up over at IFSJ as well. I'm going to steal your rad fan solution. :D

I like that...belt and suspenders for the tranny cooling. I haven't thought of adding extra tranny cooler...good idea. I have planned on an external oil cooler and a p/s cooler since I'm doing hydro brakes. I cannot remember who did this and give them credit but here's what I'm going with for the p/s pump.

https://derale.com/product-footer/fluid ... 271-detail

It'll be mounted on the front cross brace of the frame.

Here's a link I found that has some good info.

https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engine-te ... -lt376535/

CU4WHLN

Post by CU4WHLN »

Tick-Tok …. Updates?

:shock:

inquiring minds want to know . . .

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Yeah it's been a while. We had a bit of a setback. The shop's been closed for a while due to a family member passing. I've been doing little things to keep busy like removing dents from the stainless steel trim, creating wiring diagrams for all the accessories and started wiring up the relay/fuse box. I'm using a Bussman 5 relay / 10 fuse box with a couple terminals on each end to gang up the feeds for the fuses and relays so as I install it'll be an easy plug and play and the whole setup will be waterproof. I'll get picks of that as I progress. I've got a 1200 watt inverter that will go in the back and sourced a marine grade 180 amp circuit breaker and 4/0 cable to run to the back on the passenger side. I also have a battery box coming that'll mount on the passenger side firewall.

I did order a radiator that has built in shroud and dual fans. Not sure how I'll wire it up...will figure that out later. I think I'll have one fan wired to the A/C however since it's in use a lot down here in Texas.

Today I'm taking the plunge and starting work on the dash pad. I'll document that process. It's going to be messy. I've sourced a local upholstery shop who will make a marine vinyl cover and glue it in place. I've got some 3M dash pad filler and adhesion goo

So you can see I'm getting to the point where I really need the Chief back from the shop. I've got a bunch of projects lined up. Depending on the situation, I'll start sourcing the A/C parts.

CU4WHLN

Post by CU4WHLN »

Question:
What are you going to use for a rear propshaft? You have an offset diff too, correct?

How are you going to address the down and side angle situation?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

I call Tom Woods and discussed the offset and he said a double carden should work. I've got some angles to work out with the tranny but until it get the Jeep back, I'm kinda stuck. And there's no sour grapes with the shop...just life gets in the way sometimes and family comes first.

BTW - there's lots of good info on Tom's site.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

While waiting for the shop to open back up and finish paint, I've been working on a few items.

The tailgate window lift needed attention. Here you can see where the tailgate window rides are big grooves. I already ground and drilled them out.

I bought the BJ's kit to replace them and got to work. First using a flappy wheel, I ground down the stakes on the back of the 'dowel' so you can see the grooves.

Next I drilled out the middle to loosen the dowels up a bit. Using a pair of vise grips I grabbed the other side of the dowel and twisted it out.

Keep track of the spring and washer as you need these when putting it all back together.

Put the washer and then the fat part of the spring against the washer.

Install the assembly making sure that everything is square and the spring is not under the dowel lip that holds the washer in place. I used some red locktite on the allen bolt as the entire assembly rotates. I sprayed some teflon lube in that joint.

Rinse and repeat.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

I replace the door window runners as the originals were rusted from the inside out.

You do need to take note of how the runners are installed as one side is shorter than the other and the runners need to go in the door a certain way. I marked the runners before I started and used the manufacturer's painted seal as reference but I don't think it matters and both passenger and driver windows are exactly the same.

Most of the work was cleaning the old tint off and the window tape that held the runners.

Once all was clean I laid the new window tape/rubber and using blue tape held it down. This bit gets fiddly and what your trying to do is get the rubber tape lined up so it's even on both sides before installing the runner. There's enough overlap to trim up after you're done.

I used a rubber mallet to gently hammer down the runner over the tape and window.

The first window went smooth but had trouble with second window where the tape would not stay in place and ended up not being centered. It took a number of tries to keep everything straight. And I forgot to take pictures of the end results. I did have a bit of the rubber tape on each side of the window and with a sharp razor trimmed it up.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

I've built an accessory relay/fuse box for item such as spot lights, rear lights, fridge, air compressor, etc. I know there are many options out there but I wanted something that was plug and play and not electronically controlled like SPODs. Building the relay box myself give me more options on how I will be wiring the Jeep also.

I'm using a Bussman relay/fuse box that has 5 relays and 10 fuses with 5 fuses used for the relays and 5 extra for items not requiring large current draws.

Here's a schematic of how I'm wiring it up.

There will be 5 fuses with each circuit having a waterproof connector. Same for the relays. Since I'm building this to be universal, I'm using 10 gauge wire to the connectors. For the switch connections, I'm using 18 gauge wire. There is a plug for the switches that switch ground versus power. Going this route requires less wires. In the Jeep, power to the switches will only need to be for the lights. I've got an 80 amp circuit breaker that will protect the entire system.

I'm not going to give a full explanation on how to wire this up but here's the progress.

For the grounds to all the circuits, I bought two 5 post buss bars (Blue Sea). These can be mounted to the relay box where the mounting brackets attach. In this shot I've also wired in the fuse/relay power jumpers and the pins not used put plugs so it'll remain waterproof.

Next was the switch wires and plug.

Next was the connectors for the relays.

I remembered after I got the first connector installed that I had heat shrink labels for my label maker so I labelled each connector. I'll have to go back and fix the first one.

Next up was the fuse circuits.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Nice job with tailgate and relay box! I was considering using same one (but without the bus for fuse power) to keep all relays and fuses that I was going to add in one place, but changed my mind since - for headlight relays and 3 extra fuses that would be an overkill. Maybe if I get to relaying all ignition-fed circuits I'll put one in. If you're adding some accessories - that is a must have though

For anyone who wants more information on building a bussmann box (parts, tools, wiring and how to do it) - there is and excellent 6 part write up about Bussmann RTMR: Last part is more Tacoma-specific, but has a lot of good info too.
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

That's the links I used to build this. I was first going with wiring indvidual relays but found that after sourcing parts. I did wire mine a bit differently as the Tacoma write up has power going out to the relay box for the switches. I'll keep that inside the Jeep and have a master switch for all accessories on a second battery so I can turn them on without having the Jeep on.

CU4WHLN

Post by CU4WHLN »

Nice neat job !

Where did you get the mount for the fuse panel? I have one, but no mount like that.

When's the Jeep coming home from paint ??

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

I went by the shop on Friday and they're in painting mode. It's a small shop so they'll do body work, stop, then paint. There's 3 cars they are working on now '57 Chevy pickup, '64 GTO, and mine. The GTO goes in first as it's an easy job with only one color. Mine goes in next. It's more complicated with Raptor Liner, body color, black around the windows and a white roof in that order.

For the mounts, here's the link I used from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-15303-1 ... 724&sr=8-1

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

I've begun working on the dash. First thing was to strip it down. I had a few issues with the washer switch and the fresh air vents but with a dremel and some big vise grips got everything off.

The driver side isn't in too bad of shape except for the wiper switch. Not sure what was going on there but the PO had stripped the collar and the locking ring was spinning on the shaft. The threads were gone as well and it looks like they tried to hammer it out. I had to dremel the switch almost in half but got it off. The remaining items on the drivers side came off without issue.

The PO hacked up the radio opening to fit a single DIN radio and the ashtray and clock are missing. I do have the plastic overlay for the clock however. The glovebox lid and hinges are in good shape but the lock is broken.

The passenger side is a bit scuffed up but in good shape. Big win on the Cherokee badge still there!

Since I'll be putting in a new set of gauges, I removed all the pieces out of the housing.

On the front I carefully peeled off the plastic underlay from the overlay which was half gone. I'll use the underlay to cut a new overlay.

Since I'll be reusing the instrument lenses, I need to clean them up and try and polish the scratches out. I've done this on motorcycle helmets and goggles for years. Just takes time and elbow grease.

I've been using this for a few years now.

It takes a few applications. The process is to add some on the surface and using your fingers start rubbing the compound in until it's dry and then wipe off with clean microfiber cloth. Back in the day, I used cotton diapers.

It took about 4 applications to get to this level.

Repeat and rinse for the other two lenses.

Here they are set in the instrument panel.

Next up was cleaning all the old glue off the panel.

I used Goo Gone and red shop rags making sure to rotate the rag once it gets loaded with glue. This took longer than I expected. This glue didn't want to come off but eventually got it all cleaned up.

Left section done.

Center section.

Right section.

I'm not sure what direction I'm going with the dash yet. I will be keeping it black but not sure what I'll be doing on the left side as I'll be installing a Vintage Air setup and plan on putting the controls where the ashtray was. I may put an overlay of some sort where the ashtray/radio/clock is located since it's hacked up.

Next up is working on the dash pad.

CU4WHLN

Post by CU4WHLN »

Great work there !

cpfeifffer

Post by cpfeifffer »

I am also doing a Vintage Air upgrade. Here is my bezel. It is a walnut veneer. Not perfect but looks pretty good. Image

I relocated my AC/heater controls down under the dash. It also has a rear defroster control built in so I used that space. I also had to relocate the fresh air vent control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1978 Cherokee Chief
5.3L L33, 4L60E, Atlas II 5.0