1960 FC170 and a 68 M715?

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I hate welding, grinding and cutting metal inside my shop, too. I’ll drag the parts, or the Jeep out to do that- or get a few fans blowing the particulates out the door.

This weekend I’m working on the rear bumper. I snagged some scrap metal and used the plasma cutter:

I’m attempting to create an M715 version of the “Den Hunt” Gladiator bumper from the mid 60’s. The plan is to wrap the bumper around the back sides of the bed to offer a bit of protection. I’ll also reuse the M715 hoops and light locations, too.

EDIT:

Snagged this GW today:

The engine will be the power train for the FC.

The owner then gave me a lead on this 60’s wagoneer:

327, th400, 3k on a rebuilt motor, hasn’t ran or started in 3-5 years. Rust in the usual places.

Edit:

The exhaust manifold on the passenger’s side of the GW is broke. The accident bent the frame so badly that the rubber bushing on the motor mount sheared off pushing the frame motor mount horn into the exhaust manifold.

Here’s a pic of the replacement manifold that won’t fit:

Broken manifold:

I’d like to test the engine-tranny-t case combo before I pull it. So getting the exhaust manifold replaced is an important step. I got it running before I bought it, but I wasn’t sure whether or not the noise from the broken manifold was masking other problem noises.

Fabrication time.

YAE:

12/1/19

The frame on the GW is so bent it sheared the motor mount bushing as the engine slid 4” forward on the passenger’s side.

So the manifold is in, the crushed oil pan has been replaced and fresh oil put in, and she fired up. Still not ready for the swap, there’s a ton more work to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1960 FC170 and a 68 M715?

Post by 66stepside »

I’m slowly whittling it down.

The auxiliary tank was pretty cool:

It fed right into the stock tank. Here’s the protective plate from the factory:

Here’s some seriously bad gas I drained from the tank:

There’s a guy coming from Idaho to get some parts this evening.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

66stepside wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:34 pm The auxiliary tank was pretty cool:

It fed right into the stock tank. Here’s the protective plate from the factory:

Thanks for the pic of that tank. I'd never seen beneath the cover in the bed on one of those.

I'll bet you can find exhaust manifolds where you are, right? Are you sticking with those or headers? Oddly enough, we never see AMC exhaust manifolds on CL in my area but lately I saw a couple pairs of the desirable years for those, in Mass.! Must be the holidays...people cleaning out and willing to sell parts that could make good gifts for the AMC fan! :D
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The 360 stuff is pretty common around here, the engine shop that is known for AMC rebuilds buys all the cores, and only buys them from one guy now. That guy who hunts down the AMC engines (not me) has a stack of intakes, exhaust manifolds, oil pans (the CJ pan has the oil drain plug on the back of the pan). He and I will trade parts occasionally.

You’ve got a good eye for detail. I do plan on keeping the glass packs on the 360 on the engine.

The slip tank is pretty cool, looking at the double walled bed, the factory cut the section of the inner bed out in a really clean way. This is the only one I’ve ever seen.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I just wish I could find another Jeep in my area to buy. I need a J truck to go with my Cherokee.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’m kinda the opposite, I wish there were fewer in my area as I don’t think I can control my apparent addiction- they’re like Pokemon up here, I gotta catch them all!

shortbus4x4

Post by shortbus4x4 »

66stepside wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:46 am The 360 stuff is pretty common around here, the engine shop that is known for AMC rebuilds buys all the cores, and only buys them from one guy now. That guy who hunts down the AMC engines (not me) has a stack of intakes, exhaust manifolds, oil pans (the CJ pan has the oil drain plug on the back of the pan). He and I will trade parts occasionally.

You’ve got a good eye for detail. I do plan on keeping the glass packs on the 360 on the engine.

The slip tank is pretty cool, looking at the double walled bed, the factory cut the section of the inner bed out in a really clean way. This is the only one I’ve ever seen.

Is that the guy south of Coeur d'Alene in Idaho. If so I've bought axles from him and he was parting out lots of full size Jeeps. Told me he sells the engine cores to a rebuilder in Spokane. Takes like 20+ cores in at a time.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

No, it is not the guy in Harrison, he did bring in a trailer load of cores awhile back, or so I was told. He does have a ton of parts rigs as he works in the Dakota oil fields and travels extensively as a result. I think his name on the forums is FSJParts? He’s more on the Facebook forums these days, though.

The only guy who gets to sell cores now lives in the Tyler/Cheney, WA. area. He’s apparently been selling cores to the build shop for 30, or so years.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The dismantling of the j20 continues.

The front driveline is hammered:

I saw this Burb with funky graphics the other day- some special edition trim package:

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Looks like '70s or early '80s Hippy paint

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

rocklaurence wrote:Looks like '70s or early '80s Hippy paint
Yeah, that’s what I thought, too. Figured someone painted it while they were shroomin’ in the desert!

He was driving up and down the parking lot trying to disengage the front hubs. I stopped and spoke with him once he parked and there was some factory badging on the glovebox door saying what kind of special edition it was, but I can’t remember what it said.

Edit:
Found this on da net:

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

One of the benefits of two jobs, and 4 project vehicles is that once I spend my budget on a project and get to spend more time on the little things.

Last night I rewired a new ignition switch in the Willy’s pickup, which was a PITA since the wiring is original and brittle. So some upgrades in wiring were in order. But it’s done.

Today, I am cleaning the j20 axles up and prepping them for install on the FC. The rear D60 axle should be a straight bolt on, but the front axle will need fabrication. The FC is SOA from the factory, so I’ll need to get perches placed and spaced accordingly. I am curious about how the steering will all work out, but first things first.

It will be nice to free up some space once the h20 axles are out of the way.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Well, as of today, the 60 rear is in with a 3” block lift; dually adapters on coming shortly:

Overload springs are the next step for the rear.

I moved on to the front today:

I snagged a Chevy dually Dana 60 front for roughly the same price as adapters to mod the 8 lug 44, so this is up next:

It’s been a long day wrenching to get to this point, so I’m going to clean up and get packed for some snow wheelin’ tomorrow.

Edit:

I had to slide the Dana 60 under her after I cleaned up the shop:

ImageImage

Looks like she’ll fit just fine with new spring perches.

Edit:

The front 60 is mocked up, nothing is welded in yet, maybe tomorrow?

YAE:
The adapters came in for the rear:

Black, white, or age the rims to match the patina of the truck? Not sure. Time will tell. I’m leaning towards white, though.

Edit:

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’ve been doing a bit of spring cleaning and a little reorganization. So I snapped a pic of the side of the 170 as she sits with her “new” axles on:

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Wow! Does the front wheels hit the springs on a turn? Maybe In-board the springs?

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

rocklaurence wrote:Wow! Does the front wheels hit the springs on a turn? Maybe In-board the springs?

No, there no rubbing whatsoever. I do have to take off the mud flaps , though, as they do get in the way.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Are you going to a High Steer setup or will the drag link clear on the steering? Looks like a fun project.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’m going to try to use, or reuse, as much of the stock steering parts for now- so the plan: linkage on the FC will be mated to the stock tie rod of the Dana 60.

This means I’ll have to reverse the D60 tie rod, so the hole lines up on the correct side for the FC drag link. The FC drag link is set to connect on the passenger’s side. The D60 has a hole for the steering stabilizer on the driver’s side of the tie rod. That’s why I have to flip the D60 tie rod.

It also means modifications to the FC drag link. If I mess this up, I’m in big trouble as big steering modifications to the FC will be required.

Nothing for the steering on the FC is off the shelf. My hope is to keep it simple.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Is this rig driving yet? Hope all's well in this crazy time.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Is this rig driving yet? Hope all's well in this crazy time.
Hahaha, I wish!

I’m waiting on u bolts for the Dana 60 front axle. I have everything else ready to go.

The plan is to pull the current drivetrain while I’m waiting, but for now I’m rebuilding the T90 in my 54 Willy’s truck after an axle upgrade/swap.

How are things going in your neck of the woods?

Here was the problem with the transmission:

I used parts off a spare t90 to put mine back together.