1960 FC170 and a 68 M715?

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1960 FC170 and a 68 M715?

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:
66stepside wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:12 pm Ummm. What’s this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selec Trac lever.

Thank you. I’m not familiar with that set up. What do you know about it?

I think I have some research to do on that set up.

I did get some electrical contacts cleaned, checked some basic wiring tonight and found the starter solenoid is bad.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yep, its a vacuum operated 4x4 but should be under the dash next to the steering column

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The Trac Lock 4wd system shows up for the 80’s era rigs. So either it’s been swapped in, or it’s just for show. The toggle switch doesn’t move.

It’s 30 degrees outside and snowing pretty hard. So I’m just going to swap out the starter solenoid and see if it will turn over via the starter.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Like rocklaurence said, that should be under the dash. I saw it on several Wags I went to look at in the early 90s when I was shopping for my first FSJ! :P I never saw one mounted up there but maybe someone wanted it mounted up there for some reason? I don't want to give you wrong info here but I think that vacuum lever was used with the NP 228 or 229 case, or both. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/trans ... fer-cases/
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Like rocklaurence said, that should be under the dash. I saw it on several Wags I went to look at in the early 90s when I was shopping for my first FSJ! :P I never saw one mounted up there but maybe someone wanted it mounted up there for some reason? I don't want to give you wrong info here but I think that vacuum lever was used with the NP 228 or 229 case, or both. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/trans ... fer-cases/

Yeah, you’re right. I haven’t crawled under it to see what the transfer case is- since the glovebox is sealed shut, I’m wondering if a PO took the emergency switch out of the glove box and installed this unit in it’s place? I’ll have to trace some vacuum lines and see what goes where.

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

66stepside wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:08 pm The Trac Lock 4wd system shows up for the 80’s era rigs. So either it’s been swapped in, or it’s just for show. The toggle switch doesn’t move.

That was the stock set up in my old 84 Grand Wagoneer with 229 and a the vac disconnect front axle. I had to pull down on the middle aluminum rod to get the toggle to go from 2wd to 4wd. I bet they did just replace the q track vac switch with it.

It’s 30 degrees outside and snowing pretty hard. So I’m just going to swap out the starter solenoid and see if it will turn over via the starter.

91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks for the technical info! I’ll give that a shot when I get her running!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

So far I’ve replaced the steering column ignition switch, ran power to the steering column, had the starter tested, installed a new starter solenoid, new cables, a few more grounds, and changed the fluids.

I’ve jacked her up so all four tires are off the ground.

Today it’s spark plugs, wires and testing the electric fuel pump that’s on her.

I think the engine is going to be toast, but you don’t know until you try. Image

Edit:

Electric pump was shot, replaced the mechanical one and now she’s a runner. I made a video, but couldn’t upload it for some reason.

I ran her for about two minutes, checked everything for clearance against the manifolds, let her cool down for 30 minutes, then got her up to operating temperature and shut her down.

It’s probably time for an oil change.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

You probably already know this, but you have to pull the lever on the bottom of the TC switch in order to flip the toggle from 2 to 4WD.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

jpswapmohn wrote:You probably already know this, but you have to pull the lever on the bottom of the TC switch in order to flip the toggle from 2 to 4WD.

Thanks- It was mentioned, and it shifted when I pulled the pin!

She keeps going through coils, so I haven’t had a chance to test the transmission, transfer case and brakes. I’m tracing wires as weather permits. I don’t mind the cold, but hate working in the rain.

I did work indoors this weekend to dodge the rain and finally fabricated and welded up the front bumper on the M715, then trekked over to the Quad cab and finalized a brake pedal that finally worked!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

If the axles and drivetrain are coming out of the pumpkin spice and white J truck, what's in store for the rest of it? Just curious...not that I need any more parts! :P
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:If the axles and drivetrain are coming out of the pumpkin spice and white J truck, what's in store for the rest of it? Just curious...not that I need any more parts! :P

I’m so caught up in chasing electrical gremlins I haven’t thought too far ahead on what will become of the rest of the pumpkin spice J20. Although the bed has been posted on the forum sale’ section.

I guess whatever I can use to maintain my herd will all go up for grabs? What are you looking for?

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

66stepside wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:19 pm
twisted frame wrote:If the axles and drivetrain are coming out of the pumpkin spice and white J truck, what's in store for the rest of it? Just curious...not that I need any more parts! :P

I’m so caught up in chasing electrical gremlins I haven’t thought too far ahead on what will become of the rest of the pumpkin spice J20. Although the bed has been posted on the forum sale’ section.

I guess whatever I can use to maintain my herd will all go up for grabs? What are you looking for?
I'm looking for J truck rear edge cab trim, non-chrome/non-stainless. I only need the passenger vertical trim piece and one of the little corner pieces...so I'm holding out for someone who's willing to sell just those instead of the whole set. It's definitely not urgent...my truck's been without these pieces for a while now. Also, I've wondered if the vertical piece is the same on the driver and passenger side of the cab?

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:

I'm looking for J truck rear edge cab trim, non-chrome/non-stainless. I only need the passenger vertical trim piece and one of the little corner pieces...so I'm holding out for someone who's willing to sell just those instead of the whole set. It's definitely not urgent...my truck's been without these pieces for a while now. Also, I've wondered if the vertical piece is the same on the driver and passenger side of the cab?

Those pieces are on this truck- but I think they are dented/damaged. I can send pics of you’d like.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

66stepside wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:50 pm
twisted frame wrote:

Those pieces are on this truck- but I think they are dented/damaged. I can send pics of you’d like.

Sure! I'll PM you.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:
66stepside wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:50 pm
twisted frame wrote: I'm looking for J truck rear edge cab trim, non-chrome/non-stainless. I only need the passenger vertical trim piece and one of the little corner pieces...so I'm holding out for someone who's willing to sell just those instead of the whole set. It's definitely not urgent...my truck's been without these pieces for a while now. Also, I've wondered if the vertical piece is the same on the driver and passenger side of the cab?

Sure! I'll PM you.

Pics sent.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Getting the telescoping, tilt caddy column installed on the M715 today. The column fit within the factory jeep opening, but a custom bracket had to be fabb’d up (I did a similar mod with a later model tilt column in my 66). It’s tacked together, now it’s time to yank it out and weld it up.

After this, I install the seats!

EDIT:
Seats and passenger side door panel are in:

The bed is also now centered over the rear axle, leaving a 6.5” gap in-between the bed and cab. That space will be converted into covered storage.

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

Nice mods, I like the way you can work on multiple projects. I had to buckle down and just work on one at a time, cause I kept running out of project money and nothing was getting finish. Right now steel working on my baby Jeep, CJ 7 while the Waggie and J truck await their turn.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Hey, thanks! I think to work on the projects when I want to, not when I have to, and that helps.

I think I’m the only guy in my Jeep circle who works on multiple projects at a time, but it doesn’t require money up front most of the time. I have a budget for each build, and it comes out of the same fund, so once I’ve gone through my small monthly Jeep funds, I’m done buying Jeep parts for the month.

Once I’ve spent my budget, though, I can work on other project items on my list that don’t require money- like fabricating steering column brackets, installing seats and door panels (that have been waiting for nearly two months!).

I spent my November Jeep Parts (NJP) budget money on getting the j20 running- compete tune up, new hoses, lines, cap, rotor, points, plugs, wires, condenser, and fluids. And it was running for about 10 minutes and that was it. It now just turns over. It gets no spark. Either the coils are getting fried, or the distributor is messed up somehow. It’s pretty disappointing as the axles and drivetrain are going into the FC170.

I traded a bunch of spare parts for the J20, so no cash was involved.

Since my NJP budget is already spent for the month, I’ll buy a new distributor set up next month- and work on the other projects that require no money. That way there’s always something to do in my spare time.

If I can sell off a part, or two here and there, I’ll put that money towards my Jeep build funds, but I don’t want to go broke building these old Jeeps for sure.

I’m fabricating rear bumper brackets now using spare 1/2” thick stock. It just requires time.

Whew- what a long post!

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

Hey, thanks for the input, that explain a lot to me. I kind of somehow follow that format, but my workshop space is limited and have to play musical jeeps, so I can work inside, or have to move one out when i'm cutting, grinding and welding.
One of the setbacks I run into, on my baby Jeep project is, that now at about 90% done, the old trim parts don't look good with the new paint job, reason why I have to buy new stuff.
Anyway, thanks again and you guys are a great group of gear heads, I follow the builds and take notes on ideas, parts and modifications that I can use on my future builds.