My 1988 Grand Wagoneer

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

letank

Re: My 1988 Grand Wagoneer

Post by letank »

Great post, thank you for the 3M dual lock tape... I used what I had in the parts bin -no brand name- to hold the dash cover, the no brand name glue melt in the sun... so the lock tape is still locked but the glue is not holding its share...

And my solution for the door panel with plastic inserts, cheaper than dzus fasteners, they need a little trimming to fit inside the round hole, shown during the triming cut, and available at the local homeimprovement center

Weatherpack... same here, in my case the wires were getting cracked as well, later I'll post a pict of the inside green goo

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

So far tape held up good from 50 to 85 degrees and glue is not letting go. Will see how it lives through the summer, but so far I always had good result with almost anything 3M makes, maybe except N95 masks

Michel, my connector looked exactly the same! No cracking, but lots of green goo and it was traveling up on wires under insulation. Interesting that stock Duraspark module was using weatherpack connectors, why wouldn't they use them on distributor is beyond me.

Anyway, correcting and improving factory design is part of FSJ ownership :D
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

So another month passed and there is some progress with Wagoneer.

This month I finally got to suspension and steering, started with easy things like replacing old torn rag joint and rotten sway bar bushings. Also did axle vent tubes - front one was good but was not fixed to anything and was 1 inch away from being eaten by fan :) Rear axle vent hose was torn and was hanging over track bar.

On Memorial Day weekend I took Jeep on a road trip for a first time.

Not too big of a trip (450ish miles in total), but way more than I ever driven it since I got it. Jeep did really good and surprised me with highway gas mileage - 13-15 mpg! I expected maybe 10-11 based on what I was getting before, so that was nice, especially with low gas prices :) Also realized that I really need new shocks and working AC if I want to go on more road trips :)

Ordered a set of Bilstein 4600 shocks

Installation was not as easy as I thought - bushings on Bilsteins are a bit wider than on old ones (based on 32164 stamped on old ones I believe them to be Monroe Monro-matics). Also replaced u-joints in rear driveshaft as they were pretty worn out and put a new steering stabilizer in.

While installing shocks I found a oil leak from rear axle - when I pulled the axle shaft out it turned out that not only the seal was bad but bearing itself was getting really wobbly (explains vibrations I was getting when going over 60 mph). Since you need to remove old bearing and retainer to get to the seal I'd consider it "2 birds, 1 stone" situation :) Hardest part here was finding local machine or mechanic shop that would press new stuff on the shaft without charging me for 2 hours of labor :banghead:

Another discovery happened when I took out the spare - it looks like the original one and it was never mounted.

Still holds air and doesn't have any cracks, but I'll probably replace it with something newer than 32 year old tire :D

Took Jeep on a drive after doing all that and, like usual, night and day difference! Bilsteins are amazing - not too stiff, but no nose dives or excessive body roll when turning. Overall ride quality has improved a lot

Replaced the rest of window wipes - I did outer ones couple month ago, now it was turn for inner ones. Had to get another tool for getting them out because my old one (I think I got it from TGW, but not sure) was too thick and wouldn't work for inner wipes (worked good for outer though). For inner I got Lisle 35150 - it is thinner and actually fits on the inside side of the glass. So now I have all new wipes - windows and tailgate, inner and outer.

Recently I came across USB changer and power outlet module while ordering some relays on waytek. Cigarette lighter in the ashtray is not very convenient and I use it for it's primary purpose anyway, plus sometimes I need to change 2 or more devices. So got this module and started to think how and where should I mount it

Wired and printed a box for it

It is mounted under AC duct in the middle. There is a cover held by 2 screws on the duct which I copied (I try to keep original parts intact if I can) and used it to mount the box. Both outlets are wired through flag fuse to battery feed. Here's how it looks when installed:

Another convenience feature that Jeep recently received is keyless entry :) 88 didn't have wiring for it (I think Chrysler started offering it in 89 with overhead console), but since I already "relayed" everything I could it's a lot of work. Got CMD-4000 module from Dakota Digital - it is a nice module, offers 7 channels with built-in relays for channel 1 and 2. I could probably get away with cheaper chinese modules from amazon, but wanted to get something with good quality and sort of "period correct" remotes, hence the module from DD. For my application I'm using 4 channels (1 lock, 2 unlock, 3 rolls up tailgate window, 4 rolls it down) and built a 4 relay box to connect it to factory wiring

Overall install is relatively easy, except splicing into power lock wiring - it is very tight under dash and had to strip wires and crimp connectors on them. I tucked both modules away inside the dash on drivers side and used sticky tape to mount antenna to AC duct (I'll probably print some kind of holders for it as I need to remove the tape every time I'm dropping drivers side AC duct). I was thinking about using channel 5 for horn, but decided that it's not that hard to find a Wagoneer in your typical parking lot :)

After almost 2 month of waiting headliner from BJs finally arrived. Put it in on Sunday (spent the whole day putting it and all the trim on) - looks very nice even though I messed up couple things. Has a very strong glue smell, but hopefully it will go away over few days.

Two things are in work now - AC and new armrest/center console. Much to my surprise AC is charged and works, only issue it has is a blown motor resistor and rusted blower motor that won't turn. Already got the resistor (they are identical with heater resistor) and now waiting for blower motor to arrive.

For armrest I've found one from 90s Buick Roadmaster that few members here and on ifsja have successfully installed. It is almost a perfect fit for FSJ, has 2 cup holders and a lot of storage area - FSJs lack both :) Was looking on ebay ($200, whew) but then scored one from pick-n-pull for just $20ish. It's going to be reupholstered, so far I was cleaning it and working on mount plates and relocating the stopper pin so it would work with FSJ seats

Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

letank

Post by letank »

sirrus wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:13 am Michel, my connector looked exactly the same! No cracking, but lots of green goo and it was traveling up on wires under insulation. Interesting that stock Duraspark module was using weatherpack connectors, why wouldn't they use them on distributor is beyond me.
No weatherpack on stock duraspark, it was a needed swap because of imminent (a day, a week, or a month) failing wires...

very good details on the roadmonster center console swap, thank you
Michel

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Hm, strange. My duraspark box (ignition module on the fender) has 2 weatherpack connectors and it doesn’t look like someone spliced them in.

Looks like this

Once I’m done with roadmaster console I can do a more detailed write up. There are two ways to make it work in FSJ (not a pickup truck) - either grind away some of the mounting ears on the middle seat to adapt it for roadmaster console, or relocate the stopper pin on the console itself.

I chose the second option as less destructive to the Jeep. And you’ll need to drill the bolt holes to 7/16 to fit roadmaster screws no matter which option you choose, but that’s not too bad I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letank

Post by letank »

sirrus wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:54 pm Hm, strange. My duraspark box (ignition module on the fender) has 2 weatherpack connectors and it doesn’t look like someone spliced them in.

Looks like this

Once I’m done with roadmaster console I can do a more detailed write up. There are two ways to make it work in FSJ (not a pickup truck) - either grind away some of the mounting ears on the middle seat to adapt it for roadmaster console, or relocate the stopper pin on the console itself.

I chose the second option as less destructive to the Jeep. And you’ll need to drill the bolt holes to 7/16 to fit roadmaster screws no matter which option you choose, but that’s not too bad I think.

Excellent infos, must be an upgrade to the 1988 model and thereafter , AFAIK the 1986 (a very late 86, June) and older are with the old style connectors
Michel

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Yeah, it looks like 88-91 years got weatherpack connectors. Older had round type ones.

Would be cool if they upgraded connector on distributor along with duraspark box

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

AC blower and resistor arrived!

Transferred connectors and mounting hardware from old to new one. Zip ties help a lot during assembly

New motor is little skinnier than the old one, so I had to add something in between mounting arms and motor body to make it tight. Felt pads with adhesive backing worked great

Can't wait to go downstairs and put it on :D Note to myself - always check RockAuto before ordering from fancy places like quadratec. Same motor is ~$40 (plus shipping) on RockAuto compared to $79 I've paid to quadratec...

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Blower and resistor are in and AC is blowing cold air! Control module seems to regulate temperature OK, it runs compressor all the time on lowest setting and starts to cycle it off/on when I set higher temp.

Looking at reappearing flow of bubbles in the sight glass I'm thinking system is a little low on refrigerant, so now I have to educate myself about topping it off

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Little bit of update on what's going on and what's about to happen :)

Replaced drag link at pitman arm and had alignment done. Also had steering box adjusted. Didn't have any big expectations about latter - just wanted to try it before thinking about rebuilding or getting a new box, but it actually eliminated almost all remaining play in steering.

Got some tools for charging AC

Now reading EPA Section 609 book and looking for reasonably priced R12 on eBay. AC is blowing somewhat cold, but can do much better for sure, topping refrigerant off should fix that. Also thinking about rewiring AC blower to turn on when heater is on - extra air circulation would be nice, but not sure if it worth adding couple more relays.

Buick armrest is waiting to be recovered in matching vinyl (leather is too expensive) and in the meantime I'm working on top plastic piece for cupholder section - original is faded, has a huge crack, all clips are broken and I want to change the way it secures a cup anyway. I'm also planning to replace the coin holder section with either a small storage compartment with lid or slot for holding my phone. Whole section will be 3D printed with ABS once I'm done with design stage.

Ordered new PS pump, hoses and inline filter and still looking for a tensioner bracket (hopefully eBay seller will come through). Few months ago I've replaced every single vacuum hose, but didn't get to evap canister plumbing and return hose from fuel filter - while fiddling around with PS pump noticed that those didn't get any better over time, so going to address that soon.

Pulled the plug and ordered Dakota Digital CRS-2000 kit for cruise control. So far installation looks pretty straightforward, with only two things that are somewhat involved - where/how to mount the unit (hopefully the cable is long enough to mount it on servo bracket) and how to wire brake pedal switch with relay (I don't like the idea of grounding through stop light). Jeep probably has more relays by now than feet of vacuum lines :D I'm sure there will be other things to work out once I get closer to installing it

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Not a lot of progress over last month due to awful lot of work at my job and weather getting really hot. But I managed to do few things here and there :)

First thing was replacing old cracked hoses at evap canister

Looks way better now

Extra clamp on "tank" hose is to keep restrictor (almost lost it) in place since I used hose with a slightly bigger ID.

Also replaced rubber fuel lines under hood and put new fuel pump in. I should have left it for later when I was going to replace PS pump, but I was eager to do some work and some parts for PS have not arrived at that moment. Accessing pump bolts and cleaning old gasket off was really awkward. When I got to removing PS pump couple weeks later, it became obvious that I could have had way better access:

Now to PS pump - old one was leaking from pressure hose fitting and somewhere around the shaft. Second leak was more annoying because fluid would end up inside of pulley and then get thrown all over everything. So I got new PS pump from PSC, new pressure and return lines and also an inline filter.

Here's the old fluid that I drained, looks nasty

I was also missing a tensioner bracket thingy (not sure if that's the right name for it), so there was no way of tighten PS belt without prying against reservoir. Couldn't find correct one, but got "old style" tensioner:

It goes into PS bracket like this

Had to drill out the hole a bit, but no issues other than that. One more thing about PSC pump - mine came with short studs that wouldn't work even without tensioner. Good thing that I got new studs before - one of them on the old pump was broken.

Here is a comparison of PSC studs (left) and original (right)

Shortly after I got PS pump in, AC refrigerant showed up

Charge hose and gauge that I got earlier worked good, except that gauge has a fitting for low side and I was planning on using it on the high side when charging. Didn't want to wait for adapter (got it couple days ago, so now I can check pressures), so I slowly charged AC until bubbles were gone from sight glass.

Now AC is fully functional and blowing ice cold - right in time for 90+ degree weather we're having now in Oregon

Last thing was coolant flush - coolant being the only fluid that I haven't changed since buying the Jeep. Pretty straightforward with drain/flush/refill, the only problem I had was the block drain plug on driver's side. It was already rounded off, so no way of removing it. Passenger side I was able to unscrew relatively easy. Figured one is better than nothing. Also replaced thermostat (I had 180F - replaced with 195F) and radiator cap. Temp gauge sits right at 200 degrees, only goes to 205-210 if I sit in traffic with AC on max and 95 degrees outside. I guess that's expected

Also some progress with Roadmaster console - got it back from upholstery shop, looks really good

Now I just have to print replacements for couple broken plastic pieces and put it back together. And finally there will be cup holders and more storage :)

Now that I'm looking at huge list of repairs that I've done since buying Jeep almost a year ago, there are just couple items left, like cruise control and exhaust. Gives me that weird/exciting feeling that I'm almost done, but at the same time I got so used to working on it almost every weekend :)

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Well, Roadmaster console/armrest is in!

Really like how it turned out! I decided to fix old plastic instead of printing, mostly because I really wanted it in the Jeep before weekend camping trip :)

What I had to do with armrest:
  • thoroughly cleaned it inside and out - it was outright disgusting when I pulled it from Buick, peanuts, and all kinds of sticky crap all over it
  • relocated stopper pin as I didn't want to modify mounts for stock armrest. I can swap it back any moment if I need to
  • drilled out clips that hold armrest plastic pieces (most of them were broken anyway) and replaced with #8 screws
  • printed new rubber flaps for cup holders (old ones were worn and too soft to hold anything)
  • recovered with vinyl to match the rest of interior. It is a tiny bit off, but still good match. We were going over sample books for almost 2 hours at upholstery shop :D
I'll replace lid screws with black ones so they don't stand out too much, but other than that I call this done. So glad to have extra storage and a place to put my drink.

irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Nice job!
1978 Cherokee Chief WT in a thousand pieces
Previous Jeep: 2001 Grand Cherokee

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

Sirrus

I have the Power steering stuff you need. Your Jeep is looking great with all of the mods you have been at work on.

Text, I'm around all day tomorrow.
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Hi Dave! What power steering stuff did you mean?

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

sirrus wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:42 am Hi Dave! What power steering stuff did you mean?

I have the correct tensioner set up. The one that uses a 1/2" ratchet to put tension on the pump vs a large prybar.
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Oh, got it. Tensioner that I have now works good, you put 17mm socket on that black bolt head and pull, so no pry bar needed.

Correct tensioner (like the one that you have) is probably less awkward to use, but it’s such a pain in the a$$ to take it all apart again to replace the tensioner and I don’t want to do it since my setup works Thanks for the offering though!

My cruise control kit is finally just couple days away, so I can start working on installing it soon. Gets a little boring and unusual when I can just drive the Jeep without fixing something every weekend I guess I’m addicted to working on it now lol

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Took Jeep on a weekend camping/mild offroading trip with a friend, we had lots of fun! We didn't want to bring tent, so decided to sleep in the cars and so far GW is the most comfy vehicle I've slept in (provided rear seat is removed)

Overall Jeep did good and came back home with few minor issues:
  • Tailgate window is stuck - after driving on a dirt road that was more like a washing board one of the C clips that hold regulator arms in the lifter channel fell off and pass side arm slid out of the channel. Not knowing that I've tried opening the tailgate only to see it get stuck couple times, and when I finally realized what's going on it was too late - pass side ear is bent and looks like there is a crack where it's welded to the rest of the channel. Side channels are ripped as well. To be honest I should have replaced the pins there few months ago when I was installing relays, but I was lazy :) Ordered new channel, pins and side channels from BJs, probably will fix that this weekend
  • Air pump started to produce some clunking/rattling noise after driving on very dusty roads. Initially I thought that sound was coming from PS pump, but when I took the belt off air pump the noise was gone. For now I'm going to keep belt off and figure out what to do with it - I have to pass emission testing so I can't just remove it, but I've only found reman pumps so far from Cardone (which according to some reviews are not even really rebuilt sometimes). I think I'll take the pump off and open it up to see how is it on the inside (it sounds like there is something loose inside)
  • Good thing about driving in the dust for some time is that most of the underside is covered with a layer very fine white dust, so it's easy to spot any leaks. Turns out I have a small leak from where rear flex brake line is attached to hard line and probably at the rear right brake cylinder. Might be a good time to replace all the rubber brake hoses with stainless steel ones (probably going to get a set from BJs)
And cruise control kit finally arrived, so that's going in too. Too bad that I won't have time to work on the Jeep for the next month or so, I want to get it back on the road so bad! I just love taking it for camping trips

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Starting to fix things that got broken after that trip :) wasn't taking a lot of pictures because I wanted to get it done fast

First was tailgate, replaced the lifter channel with stainless one from BJs (way sturdier than rusty and bent stock one), also replaced side channels that were missing a lot of the felt/rubber:

And finally a reason why the whole thing failed apart - pins at the end of regulator arms. Old one compared to a new redesigned one from BJs

Groove on the old one was barely enough to hold the c-clip in place, new are so much better. If anyone is fixing a tailgate you should really consider getting a pair of those, they also use different clips which are easier to remove if necessary but should not remove themselves on a bumpy road :)

Next item would be a smog pump, which rattles a lot - you can hear it in the video below
I took the pump off and opened it up, only to find a lot of black goo (from carbon vanes I suppose) and an ounce of water (!?) inside. I can't find any rebuild kit for it, so my only option is to get a reman unit from Cardone. Still need to figure out which one do I need (6mm or 8mm pulley bolts, seems to be 8mm from memory) and I'm thinking about replacing all check valves on air injection system, just to be sure that I don't ruin the new pump

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Vacation plans changed and I got few extra days to work on the Jeep.

Got a reman air pump and went on with install, but decided to check whether check valves are good. All 3 were blown, passing air in both directions - maybe that's what killed my old pump. Got new ones, everything still looked pretty straightforward. If only I had known ... :)

Doesn't look too rusty-crusty, but it took about 2 hours of cutting, spraying penetrating fluid, hammering and cursing to get the one that goes to catalytic converter off

Next valve (at the drivers side air injection manifold) didn't want to bulge, and after two more hours of struggle I finally broke that manifold. Well, why not try to take it off? All three bolts came out pretty easily. Encouraged by that I proceeded to passenger side and in a few minutes other manifold was off

Turns out whoever was replacing them before could get a correct one for the pass side, so they used same 3 tube manifold as on drivers side. Port closest to the firewall was just plugged with a bolt. Unfortunately pass side manifold bolts didn't come off that easily as driver's side, and now I have this

Spent the rest of the day hammering, pouring more penetrating fluid, heating it up with a torch, tried an flute type extractor (broke) and no luck :banghead: I just hate those bolts and manifolds... Going to get a new extractor, more PB blaster and will keep trying today :)