J20 reveal video comming soon 9-2020

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
itselliott

J20 reveal video comming soon 9-2020

Post by itselliott »

I have been working on this since 2010...haven't posted up much anything.
Current status is installing a complete new harness and hoping not to run out of fuses as I go...lol
I'll just add photos without comment as I find them on my computer.....yes, I am that dis organized. :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by itselliott on Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
itselliott

Re: J20 restomod

Post by itselliott »

lets try this......

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tSP4oV4wX9RYK8Cn7
This one is a start up video of the 401 build by Rick Jones......AMC genius...

I deleted the dropbox link. added a new link in another post to a better photo server.

https://itselliott.imgbb.com/
Last edited by itselliott on Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Looks good. I like these kinda in-work pichers. Gives ideas on how to do my stuff.

Thanks for posting.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

So, are you doing an extended cab on your J20? That’s looking pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

The extended cab looks especially great. I love the proportions!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

That thing is sick....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Topic author
itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Its basically a 7 foot box on a long bed frame without any frame mods...(except moving the crossmember back to clear the cab extension) Then filling in the 12" gap with the extended cab.....I wish I had gone with some sort of opening rear side glass tho.
Stats:
1978 J20 stretched cab Painted Copperhead Pearl over black primer.
Every last nut and bolt has been touched and re conditioned.....or replaced.
79 Bronco 25 gal fuel tank.
401/TH400/Quadratrack (Engine work by A.Rick Jones) .030 over, Cleveite cam, similar to Comp Cam 268H.
Ignition system...Mustang HEI coil, Ford 460 distributor adapter, Stealth ignition module (GM 4 pin module in a motor craft housing) Thank you for the idea Eric (Men in Black)
Bultear serpentine fan belt system.
3:73 D60/44
Hydro Boost power-4wheel disc brakes. Chevy up front Cadillac Eldorado rear....fully functional E-Brake
1/2 ton leaf springs (J10 2" lift springs) Air bags in the rear for "those times" when a heavy load is hauled.
Receiver hitch,.. homemade. Tekonsha brake controller
Dakota Digital dash. Custom stainless steel overlay by owner. Cruise control to be added in the future.
Vintage Air
Painless Wiring complete harness with headlight relay upgrade.
Cheesy harbor freight air horn...
Wagoneer Power seat bases.(2 door Cherokee seats)
Dodge Dakota rear seat
GM H2,8 lug wheels. Center bored out to fit AMC hubs.

Need to find a reliable upholstery shop and finish the wiring items that are confounding me still!
Last edited by itselliott on Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Did you have enough sheet metal from the bed to use on the extended cab portion or did you grab some bed-side metal from another bed? The body lines look fantastic. Nice job powering it with an AMC V8, especially one by that builder. People seem to love his work and his engine building tips are the best.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

You've been holding out on us! Looks great and keep sharing

Topic author
itselliott

Post by itselliott »

twisted frame wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:41 pm Did you have enough sheet metal from the bed to use on the extended cab portion or did you grab some bed-side metal from another bed? The body lines look fantastic. Nice job powering it with an AMC V8, especially one by that builder. People seem to love his work and his engine building tips are the best.
I found a really nice 7' bed and then used the sides of the old bed( the 8' one) to create the extension behind the doors. and extended the roof by using sections from a scrapyard roof I found in Wisconsin......that part was interesting as the roof line tapers.

The 7' replacement bed was all hammered up in the front panel from loads hitting it, :banghead: so that entire panel is now 1/8" diamond plate...

And yes,...Rick is amazing his attention to detail is second to none!
Now if only I could locate a nearby upholstery shop with his professionalism.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

That's a really first class build congrats!!!!

Topic author
itselliott

Post by itselliott »

sonoraed wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:22 am That's a really first class build congrats!!!!
Thank you,....I do the best I can with what skills I can muster up.....I am hoping to get her on the road while I can still turn the key. :ugeek:

Topic author
itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Finally got most of the build fotos in one location... I will work at getting everything over there....
https://itselliott.imgbb.com/

Topic author
itselliott

Drove for the 1st time in 5 years

Post by itselliott »

https://i.ibb.co/WsB94NZ/IMG-20191221-111723515.jpg

Not a video but this is the first time she moved under her own power......since the interior is missing , I was sitting on a temp. loosely bolted seat.

400 feet, 1 way, down the drive and back ,SUCCESS feels good.

SJTD

Re: J20 restomod photos added (Dec-13)

Post by SJTD »

Nice! I wish Jeep had made these.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

If you have any photos of how you extended the hat channel/floor support channel, I'd love to see it. The truck looks really handsome. Well done!

Topic author
itselliott

Post by itselliott »

twisted frame wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:45 am If you have any photos of how you extended the hat channel/floor support channel, I'd love to see it. The truck looks really handsome. Well done!
I don't have any and the truck just left for final upholstery. I will tell you that I am a tool & die maker, that my 40 years have been spent in automotive stamping plants......I had quite a collection of miscellaneous sample parts that I was able to cut sections away from....like box and channel pieces . Example ...I used a Jeep Liberty rear floor pan, cut in half for the interior panel below the new fixed side window. Just because I had it in the pile of stuff. Since completing this project, 90% of that pile has been scrapped out. I have kept a few choice tidbits tho. :roll:

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

itselliott wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:28 pm
twisted frame wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:45 am If you have any photos of how you extended the hat channel/floor support channel, I'd love to see it. The truck looks really handsome. Well done!
I don't have any and the truck just left for final upholstery. I will tell you that I am a tool & die maker, that my 40 years have been spent in automotive stamping plants......I had quite a collection of miscellaneous sample parts that I was able to cut sections away from....like box and channel pieces . Example ...I used a Jeep Liberty rear floor pan, cut in half for the interior panel below the new fixed side window. Just because I had it in the pile of stuff. Since completing this project, 90% of that pile has been scrapped out. I have kept a few choice tidbits tho. :roll:
I hear you. Always good to have a nice stash to choose from!

Topic author
itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Power running boards are almost done...slight mods are needed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SOLSAKS

Post by SOLSAKS »

if this build is not the best j10 build ever

...it is running a close second to number one

but my vote is, that it is NUMBER ONE.

Flawless !!!!

dave in NC:)