Best place to invest $15k into stock '82 Cherokee Laredo

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
bpmccarthy

Best place to invest $15k into stock '82 Cherokee Laredo

Post by bpmccarthy »

Hey Guys,

Just acquired an '82 Cherokee Laredo. Mechanically it is stock. It starts on the firs try and drives decently, but definitely needs some TLC. The inside is a little rough, with the cluster, interior lifts, etc not fully functional. No floor liner. Windows all work. Door locks not functional.

Id like this rig to be my daily driver is non-snowy weather. I've got about 15k to invest to make it happen. I just acquired the vehicle and with the holidays, I havent had a chance to get it to a mechanical for a full assessment.

Nonetheless, curious to get opinions here. Would love to make this as mechanically sound as possible and then have some external mods for curb appeal. Inside is less important to me.

Thanks!

Hspencer

Re: Best place to invest $15k into stock '82 Cherokee Laredo

Post by Hspencer »

I would have it checked out mechanically, change all fluids, engine oil, trans fluid, transfer case and deferentials. Check brakes. Check plugs, plug wires and distributor cap and rotor.

After that I would just drive it for a bit to get to know it and go from there. With that much money to invest it’s easy to go online to BJs or team grand wagoneer and go crazy buying parts. The more you drive it and get a feel for it the better idea you’ll have about what you want out of the rig and where best to spend you money.

Water intrusion is a big issue with these. I’d remove the grill covering the cowl vent (the one between the hood and windshield), and clean out any debris. That vent leads to two vents on the inside of the cab, drivers side next to the e-brake and passenger side by the a/c fan, those need to be cleaned as debris tends to get trapped and clog the small drain holes, this will cause water to back up and flow through the vents into the cab. Window wipe probably need to be replaced. I’d be cautious of door seals, if the ones you have are not torn and seam to be doing there job I’d leave them alone, replacements seem to be hit or miss. If headliner shows sings of leaks replace roof rack grommets and the rubber seals under the stainless slats and seal screw holes.

There’s no end to where and how much you can spend. I’d just take it slow. I learned a lot on the first one and spent some money I probably didn’t have to, I’m happy with the result and my intention all along was a complete cosmetic resto but there are definitely things I would’ve done differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

letank

Post by letank »

happy friday.... investment supposed a gain, FSJ are known to drain bank account and steer spouse, SO and partners away, you will gain a big grin when you cruise in that classic americana product.... unless it has become a front yard ornement...

In the end, you will learn a few things.... remember the motto, "for 30 years, Jeep has been making mechanics out of ordinary people"

Otherwise, do you have the V8 or the I6? auto or manual trans?
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

will e

Post by will e »

Greetings from Phoenix! I missed your original post but fortunately Michel (letank) brought it back up.

So you want a daily driver in non-snowy weather. Do you plan on taking it off road very much and, if so, what kind of trails?

As a daily driver what are you looking to achieve? Reliability is always on the top of the list. How many modern convivences are you after? Do you have any emissions laws you have to consider? Tell us a bit more what you are looking to do. You have a good budget and there are a lot of ways it can be spent. (I put a lot of $$$ making mine a decent trail rig but with less emphasis on the 'comforts'. ) We are here to help and you will find it's a great group of folks who will encourage you to get to where you want to be with your rig. Oh yeah, some pics would be nice. :)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

KeithVus

Best place to invest 15k into stock 82 Cherokee Laredo

Post by KeithVus »

Where abouts did you get the trimmings done?
Local guy in Bairnsdale, not in business anymore I think

Pity he was quite good and cheap too

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

IMO, for a good, enjoyable, driver is to rebuild the engine and trans if needed. Spend the money on EFI, AC, interior [seats] and nice [bigger] wheels and tires. Having a reliable and good looking FSJ makes it so much more enjoyable and can be easily done for under $15k.