1978 Wagoneer project

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
jkcondrey

Re: 1978 Wagoneer project

Post by jkcondrey »

That lovely finished pic is not my truck. That is the color I want and he had already painted his truck the same, so posted it up for comparison. But advance adapters does sell the adapter needed for the th350/400 trans. Its a flexplate actually, for the th400. But they make all kinds of others.

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Back to the build. I just couldn't do the LS route. I found a 360 block, already machined up 3 over for $200. So I have now gotten crank, pistons, cam, timing set, front cover, water pump already installed. Going to buy some ready to roll heads from Aerohead racing. Then it will be an edelbrock manifold and carb combo to top it off. I have also been working on the body work and door gaps. I have tons of pics, but since they don't show up right, youll just have to envision it.

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Have the engine done now. Added edelbrock air gap intake and performer carb with some new valve covers as well. Got it mated back up to the rest of the drivetrain. Also ordered up a ton of parts for it.... weatherstrip package, carpet, wiring harness and a different tailgate as the old one had too much damage for me to repair well. Also ordered my primer, paint and clear to be waiting on my bodywork to get finished. I guess if I have to stare at the cans of paint, itll make me want to do the bodywork and get it over with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

That looks so nice, great looking frame and engine. The AMC blue on the air cleaner looks sharp! Very unique, I like it.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Its been a long time since any update. Here are few past pics. I have since remated the body to the frame after complete frame restoration and engine rebuild. I changed paint colors and made my first attempt at auto paint job. Sound deadener on the inside and roof. I will get some more pics soon. I have installed new harness, new carpet and side panels, new tires and have all but the hood on. New seals, gaskets all around. I am waiting on my seats to install next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

jkcondrey, Great progress! Keep up the great work. That engine/trans look awesome!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

jpswapmohn wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:25 pm Sunset Bronze Mica?
Yea, it looks great on a FSJ! Just be warned, it is rather expensive paint..

If pic doesn't show up, the imgbox link in my signature has pictures of the modifications, bodywork and paint.

:D
Are trim/bumpers painted or powder coated? I want to go black on mine as well but can't find anyone nearby who can do black chrome and worry about adhesion/duarbility for paint without taking it down to bare metal. Anything specific you did for prep for better adhesion and how is it holding up?
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

The shop prepped, primed, and painted it with 3M satin black. I can look up the exact paint if wanted. The shop had used this in past and stood behind it. The jeep has been garaged since complete (saving for drivetrain and interior..changed locations, jobs etc..). No real weather/road test other than trailering out to CO from VA. All still looks great though.

I don’t know if they just scuffed the surfaces or stripped but I would think scuffing as there’s a LOT of it.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

jpswapmohn wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:41 pm The shop prepped, primed, and painted it with 3M satin black. I can look up the exact paint if wanted. The shop had used this in past and stood behind it. The jeep has been garaged since complete (saving for drivetrain and interior..changed locations, jobs etc..). No real weather/road test other than trailering out to CO from VA. All still looks great though.

I don’t know if they just scuffed the surfaces or stripped but I would think scuffing as there’s a LOT of it.
I would love to know the paint if you have it handy.

I'd really like to have a shop do it for me. Over the last 6-8 weeks I've spent at least 100 hrs block sanding and many rounds of urethane primer and more hours body working to get the body ready for color. It was a huge milestone and the thought of touching sand paper again in the near future and scuffing and prepping all the trim right now does not sound the least bit attractive. I'm holding out hope I can find a place but haven't found a shop that would do it yet so may have to bite the bullet.

TIA
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Paint according to the shop: PPG Essentials ESSS911678 flat black
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)