Fixing up a 76 J10

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Barimpact

Fixing up a 76 J10

Post by Barimpact »

Decided to move to a more relevant long term thread location. I just picked up this 76 J10. I've been looking for one that is a relatively healthy balance between affordable and fixable and I finally got one this weekend.

The truck is a 360 V8 turbo 400 automatic with full time 4x4. I originally thought it did not have selectable low range, but I found the lever under the seat attached to the transfer case. Clicking it back and forth at the transfer case feels like it has high, neutral, and low. Letank in a previous thread sent me some great info in the full time 4x4 systems. Also very cool, it has the Denim interior! It's so 70s and it's one of my favorite parts of the truck.

It is going to need just about everything gone through. My first step is the carburetor. It runs if I keep my foot on the gas, but won't idle on its own.

After that, the drivetrain is kind of a mess. The transfer case is leaking enough to leave a few drops on the shop floor, but the transmission basically puked all the fluids out when I tried driving it under its own power.

But besides the massive amount of work I'm going to have to put into it, I'm very excited to get this truck back on the road! It has been a dream of mine for a long time to get one of these. The only Jeep I could ever maybe love more is one of those Dually Forward Controls.Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

j10builder

Re: Fixing up a 76 J10

Post by j10builder »

Looks like a diamond in the rough. Have fun bringing it back.
'81' J10 w/all the good same year J20 stuff