Bill's Build (with comments, questions, and Conundrums)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Re: Bill's Build (with comments, questions, and Conundrums)

Post by ProTouring442 »

j20brett wrote:So what did you end up with for a 4low ground switch?
I didn't use one. Because my VSS is in the adapter between the transmission and the transfer case, the transmission shifts fine. The only "difficulty" is that the speedometer reads incorrectly. Other than that, with my shift pattern altered the way it is, I don't need it to be different when in 4WD low.

DenverWoody

Post by DenverWoody »

ProTouring442 wrote:
Jeepin Jeff wrote:One more question I have is about your exhaust, I have the flanges already but was wondering where you got your pipe? Was it a kit or did you just someone custom bend pipe for you.
Great job on your build!
The down pipe/y-pipe I made using pre-made stainless bends and straight pieces. The rest of the exhaust is the Stainless kit available from BJ's Off-Road: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-959.htm
The link to the BJ's stainless exhaust kit is dead, which is not surprising, given this post is 3+ years old. Regardless,could you confirm whether this is the correct part, for those of us who are just now preparing for this swap?:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Exhaust-Kit-f ... p_754.html

Thanks!
I'm from the Midwest and I'm here for your tacos.

theQman

Post by theQman »

What options did you select from PSI? A/C and Cruise?

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

DenverWoody wrote:
ProTouring442 wrote:
Jeepin Jeff wrote:One more question I have is about your exhaust, I have the flanges already but was wondering where you got your pipe? Was it a kit or did you just someone custom bend pipe for you.
Great job on your build!
The down pipe/y-pipe I made using pre-made stainless bends and straight pieces. The rest of the exhaust is the Stainless kit available from BJ's Off-Road: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-959.htm
The link to the BJ's stainless exhaust kit is dead, which is not surprising, given this post is 3+ years old. Regardless,could you confirm whether this is the correct part, for those of us who are just now preparing for this swap?:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Exhaust-Kit-f ... p_754.html

Thanks!
Yes, that's it!

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

theQman wrote:What options did you select from PSI? A/C and Cruise?

Neither. Being a Gen IV motor, you can't use the factory cruise capability (it's in the BCM). As for the A/C, the only thing you can get with a Gen IV is idle bump, and frankly the ECM is quick enough it really doesn't matter.

For cruise, I used Spanky's Rod Shop's cruise.

Lcosper

Post by Lcosper »

ProTouring442 wrote:Well, between a 4-day migraine and loosing the A/C part I promised someone, I've actually gotten a bit of work done. Not a lot, mind you, but some!

Mostly, I've been wiring. Obviously, this means I don't have a lot of pictures to show, because cutting, soldering, and putting heat shrink on wires can't really be seen. But there is one place I can show where progress has been made.

Here is the back of the instrument cluster! I used some old connectors I had laying around to make it so the whole thing can be disconnected as a unit.

There has been a lot of "tidying up" of the wires where they run behind the center stack, and some rerouting as well. While doing all this, I was visited by this little guy.

I don't know what he was, but although he is colored to look like a bee, he was not. He tried to feed from the knobs on the CB (who knew they were nutritious?), then fleww away. One cool thing I noticed, but couldn't get a good picture of, was that he folded his legs straight up when flying. It reminded me of some sort of space ship!

That's all for today...
I would like to know where you bought the loops on either side of the toggle switches?
Thanks

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Lcosper wrote:I would like to know where you bought the loops on either side of the toggle switches?
Thanks
Bought them from this guy on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180639618032?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Lcosper

Post by Lcosper »

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GaJeep94YJ

Re: RE: Re: Bill's Build (with comments, questions, and Conundrums)

Post by GaJeep94YJ »

ProTouring442 wrote:We have Jeepness!!

Made a place to hold the Chevy airbox. I cut a 4" hole in the bottom of the airbox, and made a tube to connect behind the front fascia.

[img]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/OneBill2mny/DSC_0036_zps6c9c4bb6.jpg[/img]

Modified the airbox to close off the original air intake and instead use the new 4" intake tube. By the way, the welds are Silicon Bronze. Nice stuff to work with! Not for anything structural of course, but great for working with sheet metal.

[img]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/OneBill2mny/DSC_0037_zps69b3db64.jpg[/img]

A test fit with the lid.

[img]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/OneBill2mny/DSC_0038_zpsa25a7fe7.jpg[/img]

Finished, except for the last flex joint and clamps.

[img]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/OneBill2mny/DSC_0042_zpsc1a18da9.jpg[/img]

I forgot to take photos of the build process, but here's the battery box (built out of the bed frame mentioned in the other thread).

[img]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/OneBill2mny/DSC_0045_zps9f095464.jpg[/img]

I also made a bar to hold 3 Maxi Fuse holders and 4 Bosch style relays.

[img]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/OneBill2mny/DSC_0040_zps00a673ac.jpg[/img]

Lastly, I mounted a set of Cadillac 4-note horns (A, C, D, and F) in the old pie plate positions. They're not actually louder than the factory horns, but their tone really gets your attention!

[img]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/OneBill2mny/DSC_0043_zps91830ca8.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/OneBill2mny/DSC_0044_zpsea72592e.jpg[/img]

No critters this time, though I wish I'd taken one of the Carolina Wolf Spider I found in the kitchen sink a few weeks ago! :shock: Egad that thing was huge!
What Cadillac did you get those horns out of? ! ? !

Also any pics of the flex tube for the air box?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

GaJeep94YJ wrote:What Cadillac did you get those horns out of? ! ? !

Also any pics of the flex tube for the air box?

It was an 80's Cadillac with 4 note horns.

No pics on the flex tube. I just used whatever was commercially available.

theQman

Post by theQman »

I'm trying to do the shift quadrant swap like you. How did you get the old one out? Do you need to remove the shift lever as well? I was lucky that the junkyard van had the column taken apart and the quadrant was easy to get out.

ProTouring442 wrote:Got a little more done today...

I needed to pull the column apart and install an overdrive shift quadrant.

Fortunately, I was able to sneak the old quadrant out and install the new one without completely disassembling the entire top of the column...

Quadrant in and column on its way back together...

And with the correct Jeep wood wheel... :shock:

That's all for today. Tomorrow I teach, then for the next week I'll be working on my Dad's '59 Impala, so no Jeep updates for a bit.

Iroc313

Post by Iroc313 »

ProTouring442 wrote:
I didn't use one. Because my VSS is in the adapter between the transmission and the transfer case, the transmission shifts fine. The only "difficulty" is that the speedometer reads incorrectly. Other than that, with my shift pattern altered the way it is, I don't need it to be different when in 4WD low.
So the speed sensor is mounted before the transfer case?

Does the trans do anything funny in 4wd low?

Just curious since I'm thinking of doing the same thing since I have a t case with a mechanical speed sensor

GaJeep94YJ

Post by GaJeep94YJ »

theQman wrote:I'm trying to do the shift quadrant swap like you. How did you get the old one out? Do you need to remove the shift lever as well? I was lucky that the junkyard van had the column taken apart and the quadrant was easy to get out.

ProTouring442 wrote:Got a little more done today...

I needed to pull the column apart and install an overdrive shift quadrant.

Fortunately, I was able to sneak the old quadrant out and install the new one without completely disassembling the entire top of the column...

[img]http://blg.nikonsrc.com/image/Ullne5BsGkpqpa-UTOsqQpXYZ7kyZ3-UVC6NAppZUop02ieVBiD0RAmtoKug6n4_vWgJX930eKw/item.JPG[/img]

Quadrant in and column on its way back together...

[img]http://blg.nikonsrc.com/image/Ullne5BsGkpqpa-UTOsqQpXYZ7kyZ3-UVC6NAppZUoomwTTxAvt46gmtoKug6n4_vWgJX930eKw/item.JPG[/img]

And with the correct Jeep wood wheel... :shock:

[img]http://blg.nikonsrc.com/image/Ullne5BsGkpqpa-UTOsqQpXYZ7kyZ3-UVC6NAppZUop8eUD6hDAjtgmtoKug6n4_vWgJX930eKw/item.JPG[/img]

That's all for today. Tomorrow I teach, then for the next week I'll be working on my Dad's '59 Impala, so no Jeep updates for a bit.
You gotta pretty much disassemble the whole column. I'm those pics above is how far apart you gotta take it. I did it on mine, it's not hard just tedious

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Iroc313 wrote:
ProTouring442 wrote:
So the speed sensor is mounted before the transfer case?

Does the trans do anything funny in 4wd low?

Just curious since I'm thinking of doing the same thing since I have a t case with a mechanical speed sensor
Sorry it took so long to get back to you... because the speed sensor is on the transmission side, it shifts perfectly in 4wd low.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Had my first real breakdown, and it had nothing to do with the engine swap!

The wife and I were headed out to do some shopping the other day when I heard some rather disconcerting noises. Slowly drove back home and began to investigate.

You're not going to believe this...

Pulled the rear differential cover and found bolts mixed in with the gear oil. Some were bent, others were broken, but they were bolts! As it turns out, they were ring gear bolts! :eek:

Thank God, none ended up between the ring and pinion, but the fact remains that several ring gear bolts had backed out and made contact with the housing, or got pinched between the housing and the carrier.

Now, I haven't opened the differential since I purchased the thing, much less pulled a ring gear bolt. My guess is that some previous owner/mechanic worked on the rear and didn't use Loctite and/or failed to clean the ring gear threads properly before installing the bolts.

The thing is, however, I've put nearly 50,000 miles on the Jeep since buying it, including trips to New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, and Maryland. Can you imagine what would have happened if, out on the highway, a bolt made its way between the ring and pinion! :eek: :eek:

Fortunately, there are only a couple of small chips on the trailing edge of the ring gear. The rear is still quiet, and so the chances of anything bad happening are very slim. I have a Dana 60 to swap in, and plan on doing so later this year.

Whew, dodged that bullet!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Wow! How many were still in place? Were they still tight? Did you replace them all?

Someone may have thought they didn't need a torque wrench and put them in too loose or more likely too tight and yielded them.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

SJTD wrote:Wow! How many were still in place? Were they still tight? Did you replace them all?

Someone may have thought they didn't need a torque wrench and put them in too loose or more likely too tight and yielded them.
Six or so were still in place, all were finger tight. I'm thinking too loose, or, more likely, no Loctite. I cannot believe they made it 50K-plus miles before making themselves known!

Hunter82

Post by Hunter82 »

Hey new to the forum. A lot of the picture links of the completed project are broken on the last few pages. I would love to see the dash. Great job on an amazing build.
78 Cherokee Widetrack with a 360 on 35s

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Hunter82 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:43 am Hey new to the forum. A lot of the picture links of the completed project are broken on the last few pages. I would love to see the dash. Great job on an amazing build.
I'm actually getting ready to completely redo the dash and interior... and the outside, for that matter!

emillika

Post by emillika »

i too was bummed after reading 7 pages or so to see (or not see?!?!) that the last few pages of pics are gone. Any hope that they are posted somewhere we can see them?

Thanks~