Axle/suspension upgrade early FSJ

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

threepiece

Re: Axle/suspension upgrade early FSJ

Post by threepiece »

I have not read all of the posts here so I don’t know if this has been considered:

My Wagoneer had a serious wobble condition that got worse as the temperature increased. In fact I could not drive it above 35 MPH if it was 90 deg. F outside. The problem started about five years after a complete vehicle restoration. These two clues led me to suspect rubber. I noticed one of my spring eye bushings had deteriorated so I made two new ones from polyurethane and installed them. This cured the problem.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

The springs and bushings are all brand new. Front springs have new rubber bushings and front shackles are HD with poly.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Finally got the shims in the mail. They are 4 degree steel caster shims from WFO Concepts. Just installed them and it rocked the knuckles forward to about 5.5 degrees positive caster. I'll take it down the road tomorrow and post back the results. Then its gotta get an appointment for the alignment. Everything has been on hold lately due to the house deal, loss of my best friend, dog having puppies, and working a graveyard skeleton crew at work with overtime due to positive covids at my job. So it's been crazy here and the Gladiator has been an afterthought but I WILL update as motivation and time allow with this. But as of now that's where this project stands
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hey, take care of yourself and your family, they are more important than the Jeep :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Been a while so I will update this thread for those interested. 4 good nitro shocks and a nitro stabilizer did the trick and hasn't had the death wobble in a year now. It still has the 3.73s but I AM planning to regear to 4.56 after my divorce is final and life is back on track. Still never got the alignment done or new tires lol it tracks pretty straight and I have not seen uneven wear so I'll hold off the alignment til I replace with 4 new tires hopefully in spring. It rarely rolls in the winters nowadays. Just wanted to update this dead thread. Recommend anyone doing this reads EVERY bit of it before buying parts. The parts I finally ended up using worked very well and I hope others can use it to make they're early FSJ more steetable now that I've worked out the kinks doing a later model axle swap. Really just need the FSSR from rocklaurence and a pair of CJ7 spring hangars for the front shackle end, and 4 Ford ranger shackle brackets per my previously listed part numbers. Gm bracketry doest work. Go with the ranger ones on the rear. Good luck!

lpukas2

Post by lpukas2 »

Bring this back as I am working on something similar. (Can't sent messages yet)

What front shackles did you end up going with? Looking at your pictures, they look thicker than the Crown automotive 52000507. I am also thinking rear XJ shackles will work but most of the heavy-duty ones are longer than OEM.
72 J4700 (Duke) Eagle Head 5.7 Hemi/NV4500/NP205 in progress
02 TJ: 4.0/32RH/Atlas on 14" ORIs and tons.

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

lpukas2 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:42 am Bring this back as I am working on something similar. (Can't sent messages yet)

What front shackles did you end up going with? Looking at your pictures, they look thicker than the Crown automotive 52000507. I am also thinking rear XJ shackles will work but most of the heavy-duty ones are longer than OEM.
They were from BJs, just stock replacement front shackles, 0" lift. Side note the truck is still driving regularly and riding good. No regerts