AMC 360 - complete rebuild for New Zealand ’76 Cherokee Chief

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Trosskyll

AMC 360 - complete rebuild for New Zealand ’76 Cherokee Chief

Post by Trosskyll »

I finally got around to stripping the engine... what a sorry sight!
Water had been inside the engine for a considerable period of time judging by the corrosion. Long story short - complete rebuild required.
Can anyone recommend which brand of master rebuild kit to order? there are NONE here in NZ, so shipping from the USA is my only option, and I want to make sure that I obtain the best quality products in the kit, but not pay over the odds for it.
I would appreciate your advice here please.
There appear to be many companies offering these kits, at various price points.
I have spend some time trying to get to the good advice via FSJN forums here, and AMC Forum.
At this stage I am tending towards this kit;

https://www.cleggengine.com/engine-rebu ... -1991.html

I also need a new oil pump set up (timing cover), and harmonic balancer as there is a deep grove worn into the sealing surface of the shaft.
The piston bores need machined and honed due to surface scoring and corrosion, and I have yet to expose the main and rod bearing shells to see what damage is there. Judging by what I already see, I am won't be surprised if they need machined as well.
So, I am in for a big spend on the engine if I want to get this one running sweet again.
The Z code on the VIN plate says it came out of the factory with a 410...
Do I not spend money on this motor and see if I can find a 401 instead?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'76 Cherokee Chief AMC304, TH400, QT, Dana 44F, Dana 60 R. = Under restoration right now :fsj:
'82 J20 AMC258 4.2, T18a, NP208, Dana 44F, Dana 60 R. = 3x J20 truck waiting for restoration next :D

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: AMC 360 - complete rebuild for New Zealand ’76 Cherokee Chief

Post by Stuka »

Fixed your images for you.

As for finding a 401, I guess it depends on a few things. Do you REALLY want a 401? If you can find a 401 that has not been bored over, and if you can find, and ship one, for a decent price.

If this engine seems farther gone than you want, then maybe find another one. 360 or 401. The valves certainly look bad, but those are easily replaced. How do more important parts look?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Trosskyll

Post by Trosskyll »

Wow Stuka - thank you so much for making my images visible - is that something I can do for future posts? Am I attaching them wrong in the first place?
'76 Cherokee Chief AMC304, TH400, QT, Dana 44F, Dana 60 R. = Under restoration right now :fsj:
'82 J20 AMC258 4.2, T18a, NP208, Dana 44F, Dana 60 R. = 3x J20 truck waiting for restoration next :D

Topic author
Trosskyll

Post by Trosskyll »

One of my good mates has offered me a sweet running Oldsmobile 403.
I have something he wants for a clean swap of items, no cash involved.
On the face of it, seems to me like it may be a good way to go as the 360 is needs everything replaced - pistons, rings, bearing shells, cam, valves - the whole 9 yards, plus the machining work. I will keep the 360 for when (...if?) I can afford to spend the required US$3500.00 to US$5000.00 on getting it sorted. it seems to be standard sizes, no oversize machining done, yet.
Apart from an adapter plate for the AMC pattern TH400 mated to the Oldsmobile engine, and altered engine mount, what other pitfall should I be aware of? Has anyone here had anything to do with this combo? It looks like the specs on the engine could make a good motor for the Cherokee Chief. I would be grateful to hear from you especially if you have experience with the Olds 403, and if any of you actually did this conversion!
I hope you can all keep safely away from Covid-19.

Topic author
Trosskyll

Post by Trosskyll »

Well - here is a long overdue update on the engine side of things. I found a very good deal on a mostly rebuilt 304, which I have now popped into the chassis of the Chief. I will rebuild the 360 and drop it into one of my J20's. This Chief is not going to be a real bush-basher, more of a mild off road and regularly used truck, so the 304 will be fine. I have heard of only 4 or 5 other Cherokee Chiefs in New Zealand, so they seem to be quite rare here, so I want to treat mine with a bit of care. There are more Cherokees, and some Wagoneers in addition to the modest number of J20's introduced to the New Zealand car-scape. I will post more details in my build thread.