1979 J20: Tan Can

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
ReggieWilliams_jr

Re: 1979 J20: Tan Can

Post by ReggieWilliams_jr »

Stuka wrote:Wow, the guy that built the rear bumper originally went a bit overkill on those frame mounts.

For winch rope, I second synthetic. Steel has very little advantage over synthetic in most use cases. Also, contrary to what many say, a roller fairlead is better for synthetic than a haus style. So you can keep that.
I know! The truck has some old faded marks on the cowl like it use to be apart of a fleet.. I would love to have more background history of this truck.

My tj has synthetic rope that came with my winch from warn, it makes working with the winch enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Ive seen plenty of 80-100' lines but cant recall a 150' that could fit on the classic Warn

j10builder

Post by j10builder »

Thanks for posting this. It's motivating to see what others are doing. I'm also a SC guy. I've got Uwharrie on my mind but likely not til next spring.
'81' J10 w/all the good same year J20 stuff

Topic author
ReggieWilliams_jr

Post by ReggieWilliams_jr »

A good friend of mine just got ahold of this beautiful 79 Cherokee, we have been prepping to go on a trip to Windrock Park to camp and ride around. Us and a decent size group will be driving to windrock from update SC. We have been going on trips like these with pre 80’s rides every year and have been calling it the “old school ride”.

Also I grabbed a camper top for this trip from a local friend that I think came off a chevy. Obviously it does not fit, but it was free and that’s what matters. In the next week or so I’ll be making it fit better and making a good spot to lay down inside it.

It’s so ugly. It makes me happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freehold

Post by freehold »

That Cherokee is a looker for sure. But your pooch really makes the side shot of your camper shell. Dogs + FSJs = happy.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX