1979 Cherokee Chief Restoration

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Driftwood

Re: 1979 Cherokee Chief Restoration

Post by Driftwood »

The awesome shift knob in my 79.

1979 Wagoneer

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Nice! What is the knob for, lower right of your image?
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

No matter what is done with this ride, it has to be reliable. Decided to delete the brain ignition system in favor of HEI. We obviously installed a new alternator and improved the battery cable system using 1 ott welding wire. Getting pretty close to firing up this Survivor!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

No idea why all my images get posted sideways, sorry. Looking for a small air cleaner now that will not cover up all that sweet Cerakote work. Will likely Cerakote the air cleaner to match the intake. Wonder what 41 year old brake fluid looks/smells like?
Junior

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

JuniorFab wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:28 pm Nice! What is the knob for, lower right of your image?
Passenger side fresh air vent, judging by position and symbol on it
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

JuniorFab wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:28 pm Nice! What is the knob for, lower right of your image?

Yes, its the passenger side fresh air vent knob.
1979 Wagoneer

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

The brakes worked from the get go but in order to make it safe we are going to replace all of the brake fluid, the Master Cylinder, all of the rubber lines, wheel cylinders in the rear, and of course pads and shoes if necessary. What we found was amazing. This 41 year old Chief Cherokee had the original pads and shoes. Now that we have seen fan belts with AMC logo on them, dealer inspection sticker still on the windshield, clutch and pressure plate with almost no wear and now OEM pads and shoes with little wear, I am convinced, the title document stating that this vehicle has 12,000 miles and change is accurate. Wow.

These images are of the wonderful patina and what appears to be hornets or bees nest material which was under the wheels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Pads and shoes with tons of miles left in them....
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Fresh fluid and new parts will ensure this survivor will be safe to drive.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Not much left to get this bad boy back on the road where it belongs! Replaced the rotted tires with new 32x11.5x15 BFG KO2 units. Swapped out the rusted out lug nuts with shiny new ones figuring the contrast would look sweet against the patina filled OEM wheels. That stance is perfect!

All we have left now is paperwork (insurance) and some tuning to get her into service. Once reliability is confirmed, off to Mexicali for upholstry, flooring and headliner.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Yes, I know, there is some electrical work necessary as well. I got a bit excited there for a moment. Need to replace the broken headlight and a load of rotted out bulbs etc. I may need some help locating a headlight. Not really interested in using LED upgrades etc and OEM style seems difficult to locate so far.
Junior

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Love the patina look! And just 12k miles is insane lol

On my rig (190k) I still had original AMC ignition coil, which I had to replace as it barely had any oil

Headlights shouldn’t be hard to find - it’s standard sealed beams. I don’t like how LEDs look on those too. You can upgrade to H4 halogens - exactly same look but infinitely better light at night. When you have the headlights off - check adjusters, they were made from nylon and are probably rotten or cracked by now and wouldn’t hold aim. You can get a set of new metal ones from member here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

You are giving me some hope/inspiration for my Cherokee Laredo.
I plan on doing much of what you are doing...keeping the outside patina as is, but making sure the interior is nice. Mine has the original interior (seats and panels, no carpet) also and it is in pretty decent shape. So I plan on cleaning up the seats and panels the best they can then re-doing the carpet and headliner.
It's been sitting for a while and no idea what shape the engine is in, the gas tank is currently dropped and driveshafts pulled.
So the plan is to see if the motor turns by hand, then change every fluid, put the gas tank on, a new battery and see if she fires.
I ain't got time to bleed.

83 Cherokee Laredo
85 Grand Wagoneer
98 TJ Sahara, 2 1/2in lift, 32s
01 TJ Sport, 2 1/2in lift, 33s

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

JuniorFab wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:32 am Not much left to get this bad boy back on the road where it belongs! Replaced the rotted tires with new 32x11.5x15 BFG KO2 units. Swapped out the rusted out lug nuts with shiny new ones figuring the contrast would look sweet against the patina filled OEM wheels. That stance is perfect!

All we have left now is paperwork (insurance) and some tuning to get her into service. Once reliability is confirmed, off to Mexicali for upholstry, flooring and headliner.
Btw, how are the 32s fitting? any rubbing upfront?
I was planning on taking the KO2s off my daughter's Sahara and putting them on the Cherokee. I'll eventually put a 2-3 in lift on.
I ain't got time to bleed.

83 Cherokee Laredo
85 Grand Wagoneer
98 TJ Sahara, 2 1/2in lift, 32s
01 TJ Sport, 2 1/2in lift, 33s

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

sirrus wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:39 am Love the patina look! And just 12k miles is insane lol

On my rig (190k) I still had original AMC ignition coil, which I had to replace as it barely had any oil

Headlights shouldn’t be hard to find - it’s standard sealed beams. I don’t like how LEDs look on those too. You can upgrade to H4 halogens - exactly same look but infinitely better light at night. When you have the headlights off - check adjusters, they were made from nylon and are probably rotten or cracked by now and wouldn’t hold aim. You can get a set of new metal ones from member here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the lead. I will search these forums for info on the H4 replacements as well as for the adjusters.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Dutch wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:28 am
JuniorFab wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:32 am Not much left to get this bad boy back on the road where it belongs! Replaced the rotted tires with new 32x11.5x15 BFG KO2 units. Swapped out the rusted out lug nuts with shiny new ones figuring the contrast would look sweet against the patina filled OEM wheels. That stance is perfect!

Btw, how are the 32s fitting? any rubbing upfront?
I was planning on taking the KO2s off my daughter's Sahara and putting them on the Cherokee. I'll eventually put a 2-3 in lift on.
The 32's do not rub so far. Limited driving around until I get the paperwork in place. Need to try hitting an obstacle or curb with fronts at full lock to know for sure. If it rubs I will just cut the sheet metal away with a plasma. JUST KIDDING! Lol
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Frustrating. Local MVD offices are by appointment only. I need to change the Chief from "non-op" to Operating, present insurance etc to get some miles on her but can't seem to get a slot. Bummed about the lack of progress on this issue.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Scored registration and insurance Finally! While waiting I have been going through the electrical. Lots of electrical did not work due to corrosion and bad grounds. Installed new headlights while I was at it. Look for a few images of it on the road soon. I know the 4x4 works but, driveway testing only. Time to see if this super low mileage gem lives up to its reputation!
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

The Chief rides like a dream. 41 years old and it is smooth as ever, doesn't pull or anything. Everything works. Upholstery is all it needs now. Can't believe this vehicle is 41 years old and less than 13,000 original miles.
Junior

freehold

Post by freehold »

Oh man, what a score! And you have the textbook definition of a perfect patina. Congrats!
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX