My dream 1978 Chief build!

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
JohnnySwell

My dream 1978 Chief build!

Post by JohnnySwell »

Hey all!

First off thanks for clicking and checking out the start to my journey here. The goal of this build thread is to document my journey and also get some input on ideas and some successes you guys have had with your builds. I'm also thinking about vlogging my build and posting it on YouTube so I'll let you know if I decide to do that.

So I recently picked up my dream/forever Jeep which is a 1978 Cherokee Chief! She's got the brilliant blue and fell in love with the color the second I saw her. She's got the 2-barrel 360 with the TH400 auto transmission (might swap for the T18 manual down the road but let me know your thoughts!) She's also got some cool options like cruise control which I plan on keeping. She has a secondary gas tank installed by the PO which isn't hooked up right now. Also has the rear automatic window control which I plan on cleaning and fixing up!

Here are a few of my plans and what I'm currently working through right now and could use your input!!

Wiring:
- Original just had the battery draining and ended up going gung-ho and started pulling the entire dash apart.
- Currently (slowly and steadily) labelling all wires and I'm going to get the wiring kit off of Z&M Jeeps soon

Dash:
- Dash pad is cracked so I'm going to pull both
- Might take the dash-pad to an upholstery shop to repair and delete the top vent
- Sand and clean up the metal dash and repaint (maybe with raptor-liner?)
- Thinking about going a different color with the dash. Maybe sand? Might look good with the brilliant blue.

Sound:
- I'm a huge music fiend and need a great sound system
- Plan on throwing in a DIN- style head unit
- Install an amplifier and sub but where should I put them?
- The vents in the doors, do most people put the front speakers there? Can I?

Gauge:
- I'm thinking about going digital with the gauge but not sure what requirements that would need?
- I've seen Dakota Digital make some cool gauge units but not sure of others?
- Do these digital gauges have the cruise control or seat belt alerts on them?

Other interior:
- I am going to remove the carpeting but not sure what to replace it with so I'm looking for some ideas on this?
- I plan on throwing in a solid amount of sound-deadening material in her
- Down the road I think I might add some wood paneling to the roof of the interior and the interior side panels but not yet

Engine:
- I'm thinking about swapping the 2-barrel out for a fuel injection system, what are the pros and cons? Which system do you recommend?

So I would love some of your ideas or input on what my plans are. I'll have to post some pics for you guys soon but I really appreciate you checking out the start to my build thread and would be super grateful for any input whatsoever.

See you soon!

-Johnny B
Johnny B

1978 Cherokee Chief

I'd love some input on my build here:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=20266

will e

Re: My dream 1978 Chief build!

Post by will e »

Greetings. I am looking forward to your build.
Regarding amp locations. I have two.

One is under the passenger seat. My seat is not electric so there is a bit more room. The down side is if the cab gets a bit wet the amp may get wet too.

The second AMP I mounted in the rear passenger well that normally has the spare tire jack. I used a couple of angle bars (aluminum because it is easy to work with) and basically the 'bottom' of the amp is mounted towards the inside of the cab. This is a pretty good place BUT it gets very dusty especially if you do a lot of off roading. Both locations have worked out fine for me.

My SUB is a tube style. I don't have a back seat so there was plenty of room to mount it.

I put some 6x9 in boxes on the roll cage verticals. You can see the back of them in this picture:

81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

ZacharyH

Post by ZacharyH »

12 inch sub on one side and amplifier on the other side. made the panels out of plywood and mounted the amp into the back of the plywood.

Topic author
JohnnySwell

Post by JohnnySwell »

Hey guys! Sorry for just replying to this. I appreciate your inputs 'will e' and 'ZacharyH' Love the pics and ideas for your builds. Gives me a lot more to think about for my speaker setup.

Unfortunately I don't have a garage to work on my Chief so it'll be tough working on her outside in the winter here in PA. Much of it will be planning and sourcing parts and such. My next step is to basically gut the interior. I'm going to remove the windshield and send my dash to get reupholstered so while that's happening I'll have a tarp on her to cover her up.

Carpet is going to get removed as well and she's got some heavy surface rust on the interior roof that needs to be addressed.

I've got a few questions if anyone could help answer I'd great appreciate it and will be more responsive on here I promise!!

1. What's my best option to replace the windshield? I've heard Safelite might have them but are not so great at installing them? Where else could I get one?
2. What's the best way to attack the surface rust on the interior roof? Rust remover attachment for a dye-grinder? or sander? and cover with a rust repellent or sealant?
3. After ripping out the carpet and cleaning the bottom up I want to sound-deaden the interior as much as possible. Should I replace with carpet, raptor-liner, or another option that I can't come up with yet?

You guys are awesome for replying! Thanks for any and all input here! Talk to you soon!

-Johnny B
Johnny B

1978 Cherokee Chief

I'd love some input on my build here:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=20266

Oak

Post by Oak »

Sounds like you have a good plan. I have a few suggestions as i went through some of this with my 78.
1) gauges: check out speedhut. They make nice gauges and are customizable. This is the route i went although it takes some modifying your bezel. I did 3 separate gauges... tach, speedo (gps) and quad with temp, oil, fuel and voltage. Dakota digital had some nice stuff and look to be plug and play but i wanted to keep a semi-original look.
2) fuel injection: lots of opinions out there on this. i went with FITech and it works fine. Many folks like Holley Sniper as it is apparently more USA made than others. lots of info out there on this. Either way for me the starting reliability after sitting weeks or months and offroad drivability were my main drivers for ditching the carb.
3) carpet removal: a bed liner alone won't help much with noise or heat in cab. i did this and am now looking at vinyl on top of jut or some other insulating material so it's easier to clean than carpet. most aftermarket kits seem like they require some work to fit.
good luck!
Chris