wim's '84 blue hemi swap - now with sound!

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Since the broken and chipped pig nose grill is going, what alternative do you like best:

egg crate (Boobie)
33%
razor grille
67%

Total votes: 39

Topic author
wimsurf

Re: wim's '84 blue hemi swap

Post by wimsurf »

So tomorrow it's garageday again. I just received a big BJ's delivery, so I have got enough to do. (rubbers, grommets, brackets, tons of small stuff necessary to rebuild the tailgate, relay kit, new wiring kit, etc)

Interior ideas are keeping me busy though and that stuff needs planning and ordering of accessories. One thing I came across a couple of years back is the highjack seats that were apparently delivered in Australia early 80's models of the Cherokee limited and wagoneer:

These seats look fantastic, exactly like mine but with integrated headrests, I will take this to my upholsterer and ask him what he thinks.

Is there anyone with experience in adjusting the shape of a seat? It looks to me like I would need to carefully take the cover off the seat, then somehow take the foam off without destroying it, welding an extension highback to the frame and recover it with new foam to the example of the original.

after that the upholstery shop should be able to reproduce with the original and this image as a reference..

any ideas on these?
Last edited by wimsurf on Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

I promised some more pictures of the door catches and the shims that had to be added.

Behind the door catch.
I found more original shims online and added one extra for both the front and back doors, as they never really caught the doors right. I could also find scratch marks on the side of the door catches so the door lock would scrape the catch, now the doors shut with a soft shut, and fall in the lock perfectly.

Then I went on to stick the Dynamat to the ceiling, tailgate and rear quarter panels and wheel wells:

After that I had some time left to redo the rear window.
My old rear window was damaged ( heater lines scratched and big scratches in the center of the window vertically) and no longer working, The strip for the tailgate motor arms was completely rusted through.

Luckily I found a very good condition rear window with working heater lines and bought a new stainless strip from bj’s.

I Used the rubber that goes with it, greased it up with white Vaseline and started wedging and prying it in.
This is nerve wrecking and not a fun job, the strip will only go on with force, wiggling and gentle tapping of a mallet. I was pretty anxious to do this job as you have to apply force to a window :cry:
Took me over 1,5 hours to do, but it’s on. it's stuck on good,it fits and it slides in the new window felt channels smoother than I have ever seen before
See the difference in the picture below, new on top. the rusted one on the bottom,

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I always thought Dodge trucks from the 80s had the worst body panel fitment issues.

That was until I adjusted the doors on my Wagoneer. :shock:
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

dodgerammit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:04 pm I always thought Dodge trucks from the 80s had the worst body panel fitment issues.

That was until I adjusted the doors on my Wagoneer. :shock:
it is no wonder these things are hard to get watertight. the doors are adjusted properly now , they align, and close with a slight push, no need to slam. Regardless, I can literally watch through the gap between the body and the window frame of the doors when the rubbers are not in. This gap is only closed by the single door rubber, so I think I will solve this by adding an extra row of door rubbers on the door, much like icon did it with their blue wagoneer build. if it is not for the waterproofness, it will be for extra reduction in wind noise.

look closely at the doorsill on the outside, extra rubber:

and on the door inside: extra rubber:

Talking about noise, but then the right kind, Initially I thought about adding a retro sound radio in the original location, but I never ever listen to radio. I also removed the original antenna and welded the hole shut.

I was looking for a bluetooth only option, For looks I wanted to convert a Marshall Stanmore 2 speaker and mount the controls in the dash, and connect it to an amp in the car. the Marshall however needs an inverter as they are 230volts. I have one at home and the startup and connect function is also not really for turning on and off all the time, but look at that control panel with its brass knobs and LED's

I tried it with an inverter in my other car, but decided the usability is going to irritate me down the line, you'd have to manually turn it on every time you enter the car, and due to taking the power off, it will sometimes forget the bluetooth connection forcing you to repair your phone.

So I had to find something bluetooth only, like a bluetooth amp. During Black Friday search, I found this on a boat forum, apparently these things are often added to boats, and I decided to order it and mount it when I create my center console. it is an infinity bluetooth receiver with pre-amp. it turns on with the car, has a pre-amp out, and can control the amp turning on and off, as well as volume, play/pause, skip forward and back. it is looking a bit modern, but I'm sure I can get it to integrate, the infinity INF-BC4:

also decided to order the window channels in the door to be replaced, I thought I could save them, but decided that this is something I should not try to save on while I have them all out, so I'll wait a week or two before it gets in and focus on engine fitment the next couple of weeks, more updates towards the weekend!
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:05 pm

look closely at the doorsill on the outside, extra rubber:

So I had to find something bluetooth only, like a bluetooth amp. During Black Friday search, I found this on a boat forum, apparently these things are often added to boats, and I decided to order it and mount it when I create my center console. it is an infinity bluetooth receiver with pre-amp. it turns on with the car, has a pre-amp out, and can control the amp turning on and off, as well as volume, play/pause, skip forward and back. it is looking a bit modern, but I'm sure I can get it to integrate, the infinity INF-BC4:
Thanks for posting the dash picture. It inspired me and may have solved some challenges I was mulling over with vent layout. I was looking at putting vertical vents at the outer edge of the dash on driver and passenger side. See below.

Space was tight though and would require more fab work behind as I'd have to cut out some structure to do that. I love how they integrated a vent on the passenger side so may consider that and just go with three front vents. Can't match it on driver side since my cluster takes up all the space but still might be a nice option to the vertical vents I was planning.

Also looking at various BT controllers after you mentioned that to me a few weeks back. Looking for one with satellite radio module and ideally a 4-5" display for a back up camera image keyed of trans controller.

BT controller, like you are considering, would go in center console together with t-case controller switch, power window controllers, heated seat switches,and USB charging ports. I wanted to mount t-case controller on dash but doesn't really fit well. A bit large and I kind like the idea of it being in the center console. If that works, will fill stereo cut out and might move AC controls there. Need to get get seats mounted to new power bases first and figure out most comfortable spot. Might be as pictured above or in place of radio.

cheers, matt
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Great mock-up, I will do the same with the ac controls, move them into the current radio location.

I will be re-using the original dashpad so I will not have vents on the far ends of the dash though, other than that very similar ideas!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Last edited by wimsurf on Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I was hesitant to move my HVAC controls, but they make more sense in the middle where the passenger can get to them. I think the remote amp is a good idea too. The retrosound & custom sound radio's aren't the best quality if you don't use an external amp. Might as well skip them if you are going to cut/modify the dash anyway.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Had very little time over the last couple of days, government issued a new full lockdown causing almost everything to close. In turn causing me a lot of real work ( I work for retail, so they all had to take measures) but this weekend I Worked on taking apart the dash:
Started with modding the original under dash airco ducting: I took a small cutting wheel and removed the active airco unit, only leaving the plastic ducting.
I will patch up the hole it left with new fiberglass patches.
That way it should look original.
When that’s done I’ll create a connector for the vintage air ducting.

I did not have enough epoxy and glass material to fix this this weekend, so this needs to wait until my order comes in. Also need a heater for the garage otherwise the epoxy won’t cure.

To kill some time I decided to hook up the infinity Bluetooth controller to a 12v source, wanted to know how it looked and interacts with my phone.

I like the looks, white backlighted buttons. Not a fan of blue LED, but maybe I’ll find something to cover that.

Interaction with phone is flawless. On/off, forward, back instantly. This thing will be awesome.

With Christmas coming up in a lockdown we decided to take a little holiday and get out of here, if there will be no travel ban the next week we will be in New York for new year. Good to be out for a bit.
And then back to work on this thing in Jan!

Last edited by wimsurf on Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

I finally made a digital dash mockup good enough for me to order the parts at Dakota Digital: the dials are actually for a mustang, but I like the font used and the fact that they are oriented in a circle rather than just horizontal. They are all separate dials, not one cluster, so I can make it fit. my mockup is true to size, so the 4.1" dials fit approximately like pictured (although it could be that the dials are a bit bigger and a bit tighter fit vertically

I'll need to do the following:
  • create the new panel that holds the main gauges and the 3 minor gauges
  • modify the center area that that currently holds the ashtray, radio, and clock
  • create the panel that holds the 2 top vents, and the Dakota Digital airco controller
  • find the right wood veneer to cover the new panels
  • fix the chrome surround on the main dial cluster and air vents
  • center the middle vents underneath the dash (somehow Jeep did not bother to center them on the car, but on the transmission hump)
  • paint the dash
  • re-cover the dashpad with the right color, still doubting between leather and alcantara
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:36 pm I finally made a digital dash mockup good enough for me to order the parts at Dakota Digital: the dials are actually for a mustang, but I like the font used and the fact that they are oriented in a circle rather than just horizontal. They are all separate dials, not one cluster, so I can make it fit. my mockup is true to size, so the 4.1" dials fit approximately like pictured (although it could be that the dials are a bit bigger and a bit tighter fit vertically

• modify the center area that that currently holds the ashtray, radio, and clock
  • create the panel that holds the 2 top vents, and the Dakota Digital airco controller
  • center the middle vents underneath the dash (somehow Jeep did not bother to center them on the car, but on the transmission hump)
  • paint the dash
  • re-cover the dashpad with the right color, still doubting between leather and alcantara
Your dash looks great! The lower air vents do as well.

I know Dakota is months behind on orders, were you able to find a set already?

I just ordered my new gauges. I returned the other cluster and went with and individual set of HDX2070 series. They have a delete option if I don't want to run all seven gauges. I may delete the battery gauge but will wait and see how spacing is to decide. I did a cardboard mock up using all 7.
I'm also using the Dakota a/c controller. I just got off the phone with Dakota about an hour ago verifying that you can run dash and floor vents at the same time using their controller. It seems like a silly question but their product images don't show that mode and I wanted to verify before purchasing.

What wheels are you running? Just curious, it looks like you've got a new set on in your flickr link but can't see them very well.

cheers
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Laredo Matt wrote:
wimsurf wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:36 pm I finally made a digital dash mockup good enough for me to order the parts at Dakota Digital: the dials are actually for a mustang, but I like the font used and the fact that they are oriented in a circle rather than just horizontal. They are all separate dials, not one cluster, so I can make it fit. my mockup is true to size, so the 4.1" dials fit approximately like pictured (although it could be that the dials are a bit bigger and a bit tighter fit vertically

• paint the dash
Your dash looks great! The lower air vents do as well.

I know Dakota is months behind on orders, were you able to find a set already?

I just ordered my new gauges. I returned the other cluster and went with and individual set of HDX2070 series. They have a delete option if I don't want to run all seven gauges. I may delete the battery gauge but will wait and see how spacing is to decide. I did a cardboard mock up using all 7.
I'm also using the Dakota a/c controller. I just got off the phone with Dakota about an hour ago verifying that you can run dash and floor vents at the same time using their controller. It seems like a silly question but their product images don't show that mode and I wanted to verify before purchasing.

What wheels are you running? Just curious, it looks like you've got a new set on in your flickr link but can't see them very well.

cheers
About the wheels, they are my original turbine style ‘84 wheels that I have had restored!

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:05 am
About the wheels, they are my original turbine style ‘84 wheels that I have had restored!

Your jeep is coming together and the wheels are perfect. Thanks for the regular posts, fun to see your progress.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
wimsurf

wim's '84 blue hemi swap

Post by wimsurf »

Tried doing the oil pan today, had some bad luck with the torque converter that was damaged and leaking, so I’ll need to fix that

Will go back at it tomorrow to do the rear sump oil pan, mount it back to the trans with a new torque converter that I just picked up at the dodge dealer.
The first task of the new year will be fitting the engine.

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Love progress!
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Installed a new torque converter, installed the rear sump oil pan as well. Great kit assembled by Axis industries.
Felt like a real pro torquing down all the bolts with the right torque specs Image

Engine on the pallet.

Engine on the stand, upside down with original pan off, look at the pickup left top. The new pickup will go all the way to the rear off the block.

Pickup and windige tray off, looking real good and clean in there!

The stud delivered with the kit, this replaced one off the main bolts and needs to be torqued exactly.

The new tray and pickup installed

New shiny black pan installed!

Started test fitting the engine as well, it will fit, however the transmission has a heat exchanger on the left side that is in the way, I’ll need a heater delete kit that just routes the transmission oil cooler lines to the front. Axis industries should have this. Other than that, the thing will fit with space to spare.

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

wim's '84 blue hemi swap

Post by wimsurf »

Did not go to NYC over Christmas due to new travel restrictions, changed our plans last minute to a snowboarding trip to the French alps instead

Tons of snow, couple of days with sun, great family time and all charged up to continue the work on the Jeep in this new year!

So today I went back to the garage to prep the engine and gearbox for final fitment, as I mentioned, there is a huge block on the side, a heat exchanger.
After talking to various bmw and dodge techs I understand that this thing is mostly for EPA smog compliance and the gearbox will function just as well with a more conventional oil fitting to oil cooler with a different thermostatic valve so I can lose the heat exchanger.

See here the monstrosity that dodge bolted to that fantastic gearbox, the thick cut lines are the engine coolant lines used to heat up the gearbox oil, the looped line is the gearbox oil cooler line. To me it is just a giant device waiting to fail and get serviced so away with the complexity. on top of that it is massively in the way for installation, I would have to change the transmission tunnel, and in turn the seat bracket to make it fit and I'm not prepared to do that.

Anyway, I ordered two possible options to have direct fitment for oil cooler lines on this gearbox. One from Germany and one from Poland ( lucky me being in Europe)
The one from Poland:

and the one from Germany (actually my preference)

Today I tried both and both do not fit..
Oil cooler fittings plug right in, the hold down does not,

I altered the one I got from the supplier in Poland, and emailed the German supplier that theirs is preferred as it looks much better but the mounting screw hole is off by half an inch,

Anyway, here is what I made.
I cut off the flange plate that had the mounting hole in the wrong place at the wrong depth, and made a clamping plate out of steel that reaches the middle of the flange, threaded it so a small bolt applies pressure to the flange pressing the o-ring fittings in place. It’s ugly but it works until I find something factory..

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Another week, but it was productive,
The engine is in!
First, test fitting and clamping the engine mount brackets to the frame

Centering the engine, measuring the height, driveline angles basically squaring it all out so the engine is in absolutely straight, and as far back as possible

The welded and painted engine mount bracket. Note that it is exactly where one of the bolts from the shock mount goes through, since it is too tight to fit a nut behind the mount bolts I drilled and threaded a hole for the bolt to catch in.

This is how the passenger side mount looks with the engine in.

And voila! A 5.7 hemi and 8hp70 in it’s final location!
Very happy with this as it allows me to fit everything around it.

Still doubting about exhaust manifolds ( the Jeep art ones are very compact) or a compact set of headers.
For now, I’ll enjoy my progress Image

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Enjoy the accomplishment....huge step and looks great!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

I went ahead today with the dash.
I printed the dials true to size (exactly 4.1 inch)
and mocked up how they can look in the original cluster
I like the positioning, not sure if and how many small dials I will place on the left side, it could also become a place for additional switches and buttons

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Moparmikeo

Post by Moparmikeo »

Looks great so far. What transfer case are you using? Apologies if I missed that while reading through the thread.

Wife is hinting she may want Roscoe (82 Wagoneer Limited) to have a little more "oomph". Mind you, he's not yet safely mobile but she remembers driving her old one "back in the day".
82 Wagoneer Limited, A/K/A "Roscoe"

Was: brown metallic/Nutmeg

Now: Turd brown house paint/Nutmeg