great grandads farm truck

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
keyappstate

great grandads farm truck

Post by keyappstate »

hey guys. happy to find a solid active forum, in the age of FB it seems like the forums are dying. anyways, ive been restoring late model toyotas for the past 10 years or so, i like them and they have been relatively cheap but the market on them is outrageous so ive gotten out of that game. i decided to sell my toyota fleet while the market is hot and put the money towards my great grandfathers J truck. im not a complete idiot towards jeeps, but im far from an expert. he died when i was a kid and my dad drove the truck through the 90s and it eventually turned into a weekend or holiday camper hauler. then it found its way into a barn, as most do. its been sitting quietly for about 10 years i guess. i made the move this weekend to finally drive home (i live in Louisiana but am from NC) and trailer her to my current house to start this project. its a 1972 (build date dec 71) j4000 with gvw 8000, so i guess that makes it a j48000? 360 with 4 speed. the truck isnt perfect but ive seen worse.. this will be a full restore/mod process. i started filming and plan to film to entire process. getting her running wasnt bad, new coil and points, some fuel and a battery and she fired up. brakes were all frozen, busted 3 of them loose, was good enough to get it onto a trailer. seems like the parts market is not so great for the pre-74 trucks. ive found BJs and jeeprecyclers. more to come, but i wanted to introduce the project and activate my account. thanks!

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: great grandads farm truck

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a really original example, even down to the bag for the wiper fluid. Should be a cool project. And yes, a J4000 with the 8000 gvw is a J4800. It will have a closed knuckle D44 up front, and a D60-3 in back.

As for Toyota's, you should see their prices out here on the west coast, they are ridiculously expensive.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome and Congrats! It will be a great story after you get your own time with it. All in the family. :-bd I doubt you will see any of these on the road. Really, it would shock me if I did.

I owned one for a few years, same year model. It was a project for a 401 because the 360 was a mosquito fogger. I had the 401. Plans changed and I sold it to help fund another more important project.

Couple things about these. You can have a J4800 that is not a Camper Special. The CS has an extra strip of 1/4" steel welded to the bottom of the frame rail between the rear spring mount on front and front spring mount on rear to give better support for cab over campers. The CS has a crazy tall stack of rear springs for the same reason. As far as I know, the CS came with dual tanks but a regular J4800 didn't. It was optional. If I'm wrong, fine. New brake drums are no longer for J4600, J4700, J4800. It is not difficult to mount a 2nd spare tire inside the bed and also attached to the back end of the spare tire mount mounted outside of the right side of the bed.

Mine had dual rear wheels. Not factory. First owner modified it.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

fulsizjeep wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:12 am Welcome and Congrats! It will be a great story after you get your own time with it. All in the family. :-bd I doubt you will see any of these on the road. Really, it would shock me if I did.

I owned one for a few years, same year model. It was a project for a 401 because the 360 was a mosquito fogger. I had the 401. Plans changed and I sold it to help fund another more important project.

Couple things about these. You can have a J4800 that is not a Camper Special. The CS has an extra strip of 1/4" steel welded to the bottom of the frame rail between the rear spring mount on front and front spring mount on rear to give better support for cab over campers. The CS has a crazy tall stack of rear springs for the same reason. As far as I know, the CS came with dual tanks but a regular J4800 didn't. It was optional. If I'm wrong, fine. New brake drums are no longer for J4600, J4700, J4800. It is not difficult to mount a 2nd spare tire inside the bed and also attached to the back end of the spare tire mount mounted outside of the right side of the bed.

Mine had dual rear wheels. Not factory. First owner modified it.

Thanks for that bit of info, I was almost sure the CS package had something to do with a towing hitch and rear springs. I have the factory bedside tire mount, my dad removed it in the early 90s because someone stole the tire in a Kmart parking lot. I have ordered a rear disk kit to help move the truck around, it wasn’t really expensive and I need to be able to move it, and disks were coming regardless. I spoke with hell creek suspensions today and they have new springs I just need to verify brass or rubber bushings. Engine and tranny are coming out soon, doing a basic rebuild and reseal. Nothing crazy. The closed knuckle axle is really great for me, because I’ve been rebuilding closed knuckle Toyota axles for years!

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

Stuka wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:26 am Welcome to the forum. Looks like a really original example, even down to the bag for the wiper fluid. Should be a cool project. And yes, a J4000 with the 8000 gvw is a J4800. It will have a closed knuckle D44 up front, and a D60-3 in back.

As for Toyota's, you should see their prices out here on the west coast, they are ridiculously expensive.

I was stationed in California briefly. The prices were insane and they are only going up. I just sold a 1980 SR5 model for three times what I paid. To my knowledge the only molestation to this Jeep is the rear bumper was modified and the original wheels were swapped out at some point because, the story I was told, is that they were split rims and my dad couldn’t find anyone to put tires on them so he put these non split 16.5” on them from an old Ford.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Cool truck -

The Tom Collins site has a J-series parts book that includes '62-73 production. Suggest you download the entire book and get familiar with it. If you need help finding specific parts let me know. When you find what you need, look online by "Jeep" and the part number. RockAuto has a part number lookup that can be helpful. Being a 4-speed, the drivetrain of this truck is not exotic and you should be able to find all the service parts you'll need.

https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

Interesting what Flint says about the brake drums. Certainly the 12" 5-lug druns are gone, but RockAuto shows the Raybestos 2934R (oops - not Bendix) for an 8-lug axle available for this truck. I did not cross the part number, but it seems unlikely there is more than one 8-lug drum for this year.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jee ... ,drum,1744
Last edited by tgreese on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

tgreese wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:50 pmInteresting what Flint says about the brake drums. Certainly the 12" 5-lug druns are gone, but RockAuto shows the Bendix 2934R for an 8-lug axle available for this truck. I did not cross the part number, but it seems unlikely there is more than one 8-lug drum for this year.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jee ... ,drum,1744
Sometime in 2008 or 09 I went on a quest for the brake drums and could not find any. So, that is old news now. Glad you found them Tim!
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Oops - Raybestos, not Bendix.

According to the app info, that drum fits a bunch of Dodge/Fargo trucks too. If I owned this truck, I'd go ahead and do the brakes now and fit all new drums. I'd measure the old drums and keep them if they are turnable (less than 60 thou oversized.) This should prepare you for at least a couple of decades of old-truck operation. This truck should have 4.09 gears, and will sound very busy on the highway, I predict.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

tgreese wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:49 am Oops - Raybestos, not Bendix.

According to the app info, that drum fits a bunch of Dodge/Fargo trucks too. If I owned this truck, I'd go ahead and do the brakes now and fit all new drums. I'd measure the old drums and keep them if they are turnable (less than 60 thou oversized.) This should prepare you for at least a couple of decades of old-truck operation. This truck should have 4.09 gears, and will sound very busy on the highway, I predict.
I will be converting to disk brakes on all four corners, and I’ll start looking around for power brake options. I’m assuming I can swap a booster in from another J series truck. I have already ordered a disk kit for the rear, just to be able to drive it around the yard. I’d like to find or fab a tcase e-brake setup as well. 4.09 will be the highest gears I’ve run in a long time believe it or not. Most of my trucks run 5.29s or 4.88s, BUT none of them are big green Sherman tanks ha.

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

i put some feelers out on a few FB pages (i know, theyre usually idiots but sometimes you hit gold on there) for a tailgate. my tailgate is complete minus the bottom section where it attached to the "posts" on the bedsides. it is a chain latch style, no center handle. could anyone post/provide pictures of that area of a complete tailgate for me? im hoping to fab back that section, possibly with a section of DOM tube and a piece of sheet metal bent around it. also, ive been going over the interior which is largely intact, even the headliner, but the dash pad is fubar, as expected for a vehicle of this age. i had no luck searching for repops online, has anyone had good luck having one made by an upholstery shop maybe?

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

hunting around for some repair panels online, obviously Bjs is the #1 hit but they are very proud of their work and im trying not to blow my entire budget on the body repair. i came across https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-ru ... 0-j20-j40/ and they have floor pans and bed deck panels for significantly less. the bed decks are 130 bucks compared to Bjs 700 dollars a side.. theres obviously a difference in quality here but i searched on the forums here and google for some kind of review with no luck. does anyone have any info on these guys? for 130 bucks im willing to take a gamble on them..

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

keyappstate wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:30 pm hunting around for some repair panels online, obviously Bjs is the #1 hit but they are very proud of their work and im trying not to blow my entire budget on the body repair. i came across https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-ru ... 0-j20-j40/ and they have floor pans and bed deck panels for significantly less. the bed decks are 130 bucks compared to Bjs 700 dollars a side.. theres obviously a difference in quality here but i searched on the forums here and google for some kind of review with no luck. does anyone have any info on these guys? for 130 bucks im willing to take a gamble on them..
So, the reason BJ's is more is the free shipping. If you add a second panel, meaning the full bed, its then only $110 more than the price for one.

Shipping from the site you linked is $375 for one panel. So the price difference is closer to $150.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

keyappstate wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:31 pm
tgreese wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:49 am Oops - Raybestos, not Bendix.

I will be converting to disk brakes on all four corners, and I’ll start looking around for power brake options. I’m assuming I can swap a booster in from another J series truck. I have already ordered a disk kit for the rear, just to be able to drive it around the yard. I’d like to find or fab a tcase e-brake setup as well. 4.09 will be the highest gears I’ve run in a long time believe it or not. Most of my trucks run 5.29s or 4.88s, BUT none of them are big green Sherman tanks ha.
You are going to want to basically update the front axle to a D44HD instead of trying to adapt disc brakes to that closed knuckle axle. The front axle from a 74-79 J20 will work, or a 3/4 ton GM from around 74-86. I think in 80 or so GM switched to a 10B HD, but its the same from a strength perspective. However, neither axle will bolt in for you. You will need to weld spring perches to it. And you will need to find out what gears you have now, so that you can match them in the front. You most likely have 4.10s.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

Looks like bjs has a swap kit but it’s only for 6 lug. Maybe be possible to modify their kit to work with an 8 lug setup? I’m not super opposed to an axle swap. Are the GM axles you recommended the same width or would they need spacers?

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

You can swap the hubs on a D44F from 6 to 8 lugs easily. Or look for a j20 front axle. These are 8 bolt hubs for a D44 that where swapped onto a 6 lug J10 D44. We changed the gearing, it' not cheap. That closed knuckle d44 will not be a lot of fun. larger turning radius , like battleship large. I concur with Stuka, look for something later 20th century. Maybe call Watsons in the east end of the state. Bring a list if you go though, they have a ton of FSJ's. Good folks, Kenny and his Dad.

Image[/url]0923181832 by highsiera

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

FLeetFox wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:10 pm You can swap the hubs on a D44F from 6 to 8 lugs easily. Or look for a j20 front axle. These are 8 bolt hubs for a D44 that where swapped onto a 6 lug J10 D44. We changed the gearing, it' not cheap. That closed knuckle d44 will not be a lot of fun. larger turning radius , like battleship large. I concur with Stuka, look for something later 20th century. Maybe call Watsons in the east end of the state. Bring a list if you go though, they have a ton of FSJ's. Good folks, Kenny and his Dad.

Image[/url]0923181832 by highsiera

Fleet Fox

Not sure exactly what state to look in the east side of there bud. I already started peeling through pirate and a few other boards for the best suitable swaps. Looks like a lot of guys go with the d44hp from fords. Not a lot of j20s in my area. And by that I mean none. (Baton Rouge). I don’t really care what goes under there as long as I keep the same width and wheel lug pattern.

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Apologies for the assumption. I saw the Carolina plates. Watson and sons is an FSJ specialty junk yard in Pinetown NC.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

FLeetFox wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:25 pm Apologies for the assumption. I saw the Carolina plates. Watson and sons is an FSJ specialty junk yard in Pinetown NC.

Fleet Fox
I’ll see if I can track them down. I’m from NC, fam lives there but I currently live in Louisiana for work. Thanks for the tip.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

keyappstate wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:34 pm
Not sure exactly what state to look in the east side of there bud. I already started peeling through pirate and a few other boards for the best suitable swaps. Looks like a lot of guys go with the d44hp from fords. Not a lot of j20s in my area. And by that I mean none. (Baton Rouge). I don’t really care what goes under there as long as I keep the same width and wheel lug pattern.
Ford Axle won't work for you unless you also plan on switching to a driver drop transfer case. Your D20 is passenger side drop. Which is why I mentioned a GM axle.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

Stuka wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:49 pm
keyappstate wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:34 pm
Ford Axle won't work for you unless you also plan on switching to a driver drop transfer case. Your D20 is passenger side drop. Which is why I mentioned a GM axle.

Guy who sent me the pic had the axle upside down and I thought it was a passenger side drop. Nice catch. Back on the hunt.