1976 Jeep Cherokee planning phase

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Chief Hardcase

1976 Jeep Cherokee planning phase

Post by Chief Hardcase »

Hello everyone, I am new to the group and jeeps. I recently picked up a 1976 Cherokee narrow track government issue, 4spd with factory winch. 76k original miles. It is very low on rust, with a really cool patina, which I plan to preserve. 

Interior plans are subtle mods, like wrapping the dash pad in leather and replacing the rear carpet with wood and slide rails. The seats aren't terrible, so they'll be last.

I'm comfortable tackling the cosmetics, suspension and undercarriage, but I don't know where to start on the 360 motor. It runs rough with the carb/bulb hand filled with gas, but will run out. I'd like to get to place that is simple, reliable, capable. 

Thanks in advance for any advice or links to similar threads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1976 Jeep Cherokee Govt issue, 360 4spd

Lti57

Re: 1976 Jeep Cherokee planning phase

Post by Lti57 »

Damn nice score
Any idea last time the carb was gone thru or the wires and plugs checked/changed?
That where I would start.

Keep us informed
Directly above the center of the Earth 🌍
2017 Chevy Silverado DD
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1987 BMW E30 325i convertible
1981 Jeep Wagoneer. 360 ,TF727 , NP208

Topic author
Chief Hardcase

Post by Chief Hardcase »

Thanks!! I don't have much info, but the seller said the gas was super old. I've ready got my shop manual off eBay, so will get to work and share along the way. Very glad to be here!
1976 Jeep Cherokee Govt issue, 360 4spd

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome!
How does the gas in the tank smell? If it's been sitting too long it will smell like 'varnish'.

First thing would be to replace the fuel filter and if that doesn't do the trick check if you have fuel pressure at all. Your fuel pump is may be bad.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge