'81 Cherokee Laredo Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
bruner1981jpce

'81 Cherokee Laredo Build

Post by bruner1981jpce »

Well I guess its time to move my build over here before IFSJA goes down for good. For lack of a better idea to transfer it all, I think I'll just put it all into one post here. I want to save the full conversation just so I can reread it and see where my ideas were going. Gonna be a long read. Thank you again everyone for all the help I've gotten over the years. Probably wouldn't be here today without it.
Last edited by bruner1981jpce on Sat May 11, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
1981 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/T176/NP208 2" front springs with new stock rear springs and 2 1/2" blocks, sitting on 31's
Build Thread: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2281

Topic author
bruner1981jpce

Re: '81 Cherokee Laredo Build

Post by bruner1981jpce »

I've been wanting to start a build thread for my Cherokee for some time now, just haven't had any free time until now.

So the story behind it:
After having a near-death experience with my first car, a 1985 Porsche 944, i decided that it wasn't the right car for a teenage guy, and started looking for a Jeep. I found this one on craigslist and just had to have it. A 1981 Cherokee Laredo W/T for $800. It was being sold by one of those children's charities that you see the billboards for "Donate you Car". It had a 258/T176/NP208, and it didn't run. My dad and i bought it, towed it home and got to work. Didn't take much to get it running, just a carb rebuild, had to put a couple push rods back in place, and drain the 16 year old gas (did i mention it sat for 16 years without being started?). I had the biggest smile on my face after getting it going. Here it is the night i brought it home. Sorry about the nighttime pics, they're not the best.

PA100298 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
PA100300 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
PA100299 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
PA100297 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
PA100296 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
PA100295 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
PA100294 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
PA100293 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
There's the stock AM/FM/CB radio i proceeded to take out then hack the dashboard for a modern stereo. I'm starting to regret that choice now. I've done A LOT of work on it since then. And i've had a blast doing it.
Here are some pics of how it sits now.
PB030208 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
IMG00098-20120204-1737 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

Since purchasing, just to name a few more major things i've done, I put on some 1" front shackles, 2 1/2" rear blocks, factory brush guard, relocated my Marchal fog lights (now with 100W bulbs, man those things really light up my street at night!) on to the brush guard, and put on a valley industries tire carrier; just to name a very few things i've done. The original $2700 that i got from the sale of the Porsche is long gone, and i'm sure i have invested well over $5000 into it total, including the purchase price. I was keeping track for a while, but didn't really keep up, and now i'm a little scared to see the actual numbers. Either way, i think this old cherokee is worth it.

This is by no means a professional resto/mod, this is being done on (currently) an unemployed high school senior's budget with awesome parents who are paying for necessary repairs, gas, insurance and registration. I'm very grateful for them :D . I'm doing this so i can look back and see all the work i've done, share my ideas, pick up some new ones, and hopefully give some ideas to others. I love this forum, you guys rock! I'm constantly coming up with new ideas after seeing all your work, now where did all my money go :rolleyes: ? Thanks for looking and I'll keep you all posted!
Diesel YJ wrote:Looks great, I love the Cherokee's, keep up the good work.
mud89 wrote:I like the Laredo seats :thumbsup:
It was the top of the Cherokee line in the 80s
Not very surprised that you succeed in getting it running, the 258 is a tough engine
Strode182 wrote:Sweet rig, I like it. Especially for $800. I'm surprised they ordered a 258/T176 in a Laredo.
77_chief wrote:Great looking rig! Wish I could find some stock seat in that condition. I also know what the hole in my dash towards the passenger side is thanks to your pic above :thumbsup: CB mic.
It may be a tough engine, but it definitely doesn't have the kind of power I want... Yet.

One thing I forgot about earlier was the conversation I had with the PO earlier this year. I didn't buy it from him, so I didn't get to learn all of this at the time of purchase. So the PO is a photographer, and he bought this cherokee new in 1981. He drove it all across the western US, and parts of canada and alaska. In 1983, he got a special pass from the government to take pictures at Mt. Saint Helens, so he drove the Jeep to the volcano, and drove it up the side! I was pretty excited to find that out.

All this and its got less than 140K original miles. I love this jeep. The interior is pretty sick. The whole 70's design is so cool.
blake5179 wrote:Looks like tons of fun!
Any idea from the PO why did it sit for 16 years? Seems like it is in pretty good shape.
It is in pretty good shape, aside from the slight front end damage from, I believe, an accident. he let it sit because he injured his right arm and was unable to shift, and just let the jeep sit.
SnowShoe wrote:nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3rdelement wrote:nice score!
dadley wrote:would you sell the radio/cb combo?
if so E-mail dadleys@gmail.com---Thanks:confused::confused:
AM/FM/CB is already out and sold, sorry. hacked up my dashboard to put in a modern stereo. Really regretting that now.

Bit of an update for you guys. About a month and a half ago, I developed a leak from the check valve grommets on the tank (what a PITA job that was). Now, after dropping and reinstalling the tank 4 times, countless hours of work, and not TOO much money, here's what i've gotten done recently.

New check valve grommets on the tank and sealed with gasoline proof sealant
New sending unit o-ring
Fuel level sender replaced in August
New fuel pick up sock in August
New pick-up and return lines on the tank
New fuel tank vent lines
New fuel filler lines
New vapor lines at and around the charcoal canister
Rebuilt Carter BBD carb
New fuel pump
New fuel lines in engine compartment
New fuel filters

I think thats it. Done so much i can't remember it all. Just about got my fuel issues worked out completely. Its reliable and driveable again. All that's left to do is buy a new charcoal canister for a 1991 Cherokee, retrofit it and install it to replace my bad charcoal canister, then check the O2 sensor and make sure its still giving good readings, then undo computer bypass. Still have to buy the new canister, but the O2 sensor check and computer bypass reversal will be done tomorrow morning.
81cherokee laredo wrote:Nice Cherokee, 81 was a good year.:D Good back story about the jeep as well.
78J-10 wrote:Nice rig. But does an 81 really have a Computer and a o2 sensor??? I could be wrong.

I would hve killed for a 4spd in my 79 jtruck that 3 spd and the 258 didn't like each other at all lol
Yep, it really does. I can go take a couple pics and post back in a few minutes with them. I think my cherokee may have been made recently after AMC decided to go with the computer controlled carb and O2 sensor on the 258, or it hadn't been sold before they came out with the computer controls, and the dealer decided to upgrade it. That's my theory.

Yeah the 4 speed is pretty nice. I'd definitely take it over a 3 speed, but i keep finding myself wanting a 5 speed. There have actually been a few times when i'm on the freeway going about 65-70 with my engine turning about 2500 rpms, and i've actually gone to shift to 5th gear (my previous car was a 5 speed). So it looks like an NV4500 is coming soon in my future, once i get a job. I think that should get me some better freeway mileage.

Well i've been chasing different problems back and forth to finally finish up all the work on the fuel system. I've replaced everything on the fuel system, aside from hard lines, the tank itself, the tank check valves, and carb (but it has been rebuilt). Today i put a gasket between the carb and intake (i was tired when i was working yesterday, don't judge), filled up, and ran in to some idle problems that i suspect come from routing the fuel tank vent lines right to the pcv valve. gotta replace the old charcoal canister and that should be the last of the fuel problems. Just need to order one online and i'll be set.
jeepjerry wrote:That is an awesome Cherokee you have!!! What a find! ...:eek:

I love the 258 and t-176 combo. Sure, it isnt fast, but it gets the job done! My dad had a 83 258 4-speed j-10 while i was growing up and he used that thing like it was a 3/4 ton. It towed lots of stuff. I would definately look into doing a 4.0 head swap and better cam. It wakes the 258 up nicely. If you find my wagoneer build thread, you can see how i built my 258 and mine pulls good.

I had that computer stuff in my 81 waggy as well. Out it went...:thumbsup:
Showngo wrote:Jeeps looking good.I hear you on the gas tank.I've gotta do the same thing on my 90 along with changing out the extremely rotted stock one.I found one at a pull-a-part,did a little repair work to it ,and linexed it.It should last a long time.Not looking forward to this job.:)
jeepjerry - Thanks! Yeah there is some engine work I would like to do once i get the money. I was actually talking with you about this not too long ago on your waggy build thread. I'm the one who has to deal with all the smog laws, so I'm pretty sure the 4.0 head is a no go, but now i want to go ask the smog referee. it'll get a better cam for sure. mine does ok towing as it is, it just doesn't like to tow on hills. last summer i used it to pull my scout master's 40's willys into our summer camp. pulling it on the freeway going up this one steep grade (sunol pass, for those of you CA guys) and i was in the far right lane, in 2nd gear, foot to the floor, doing 35 mph on the freeway. then for the hills into camp, i had to put the transfer case in 4lo (front axle disengaged of course) to make it in. top speed in 4 lo was about 25 mph, but that was the speed limit anyways, so not a problem.

Showngo - yeah, i now despise working on the gas tank. my best advice for you now, is replace everything around the tank while its down, if it could need to be replaced in the near future.
jeepjerry wrote:Oh yeah!!!, now i remember.....duh...:rolleyes: ...:D

Yeah, that really sucks. Your best option is to drop a bunch of cash on the 50 state legal mopar fuel injection kit. But that is way expensive. You could pop it apart and put a little bigger cam in it along with an adjustable timing chain set to advance the cam timing over stock. Maybe do some porting to your stock head and put it back together. You would have an improvement with that.
Today's a good day. with my dad's help, i figured out and worked out the last of the engine bugs, and it is running amazingly well and smooth now. The culprits:

Vacuum choke pull of should have been opening the choke to 1/8" when cold, it was opening to 1/4"
The fuse for the seat belt light and reverse lights had blown, it also powers the choke heater, so it would never open fully
Choke heater not set quite right

Feels great to have those bugs worked out now. It hasn't driven this well since the summer last year. I was driving home from my grandparents' house today after helping them get the boxes down for their christmas stuff (yes they still have some lights and the tree up :rolleyes: ), and i decided to go the long way home since i was enjoying driving it so much. passed some little kids with their dad on the corner, and it was after i passed that i realized they were having a lemonade stand. made a u turn to get back to them, and got some of the best lemonade i've had in a while, freshly made from the lemons off of their tree. they told me that when i first passed, they were yelling for me to stop, but figured i didn't because they thought i was rushing to the gas station because my car is so big and takes up so much gas. just thought i should share. little kids crack me up.

Finished up the work i described earlier and started to relax, but just couldn't stop myself from going back for more :D Put all the engine wiring harnesses back into their wiring looms (got sore thumbs now), and then cleaned out my heater box with a vacuum. That took care of the problem i had where the door in the box wouldn't close either direction too. that thing was stuffed full of pine needles from when the previous owner had it, and i just never found it until today. not many pine needles ended up in the vacuum's bucket as they did in the garbage can i had to keep unplugging the vacuum hose into. now my heater should get really hot compared to before when it would be mixing with cool air as well. been a very good day for my jeep and me.

Got a good amount done today. reconnected the vacuum ball on the firewall to the heater controls, air flow is much better now and the vents blew the rest of the junk out of the vents and onto the floors, readjusted the windshield washer nozzles so they actually spray onto the windshield, then washed and vacuumed her out. nothing beats the feeling of having an old, clean rig running great and a bunch of the little things working the way they should.

Not too much to do now. Lubricated the shaft for the choke plate today to see if that could fix the problem with the choke not closing on its own. we'll see how it works tomorrow morning when i go to school. odd feeling not having much that has to be done. i like it :D
sorry i haven't been posting many pics recently. i'll take a bunch tomorrow for you guys and put them up. i know how much you all like pics.

As promised, here are some more pics for you guys. Enjoy!

P1100230 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

P1100231 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

P1100232 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

P1100233 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

P1100234 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

P1100235 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
There's the headliner I redid during last summer. So much for that. I used the 3M 70 adhesive, like my dad suggested, then we found out that there's adhesive specifically for headliners :banghead: . Both my headliner and the headliner in his '76 Plymouth Duster (blue sitting in the driveway in one of the pics) are sagging now. Sooner or later I'll redo the headliner... again. its running and idling like a dream now. its an odd feeling coming up to a stop light and the engine not stalling like it was doing for quite some time, especially since it idles so smoothly that i think it did stall. Well i think the next thing i want to do is take the polished strips off of the rear carpet (and hold on to them to restore it sometime down the road), remove the cardboard backing from underneath the carpet and use a bedliner product on the rear floor so if i ever have to carry anything dirty, wet, etc in the back, i can just roll up the carpet, and there's the bedliner. I'd really like to do diamond plate back there, but i haven't seen any at a great price. we'll see
jaber wrote:LOL, I can relate on the quite idle. Or trying to take off without feathering the throttle. :D
Looking good. :thumbsup:
kill-billy wrote:great thread! looks like you have done alot of work!

a little tip or suggestion for using bedliner in the rear. i used roof rails from a wagoneer and screwed them down to the floor after spraying the liner. i find it helps alot with sliding things in and out of the back. i didnt re-use my carpet however so i dont know how it would work with carpet overtop. :D

Not a bad idea. The pic isn't working for me though. The rails definitely make it easier to slide stuff in and out, but then all the stuff in the back slides around when I'm driving. I'm not a huge fan of that. I do want to see a pic though! Sounds like it looks pretty good.
kill-billy wrote:not sure why you cant see it.

i installed some tie down points with removable rings in the back so anything that is back there, is secured down with ratchet straps.
Now i see it. Looks good! I'm liking your idea for the tie down straps. I might actually have to go through with this when i get the time.
kill-billy wrote:thank you! you could go to an auto wrecker and find different styles of roof rails from minivans and such. could get something all black if you dont want the contrast.

anyways... keep up the good work!
Thanks! Now if only my school would make homework optional... :rolleyes:

The cherokee has been doing pretty good recently. its all tuned up and running like a dream, i figured out that the rubber part to the fuel return line in the engine compartment was rotting away and causing the fuel odor i was getting. i replaced it, and no more fuel odor! i can finally drive with the windows all the way up again.
my mileage has been tanking recently though, even for a 258. last time i filled up, i got 11.5 mpg! what's up with that? i used to get 15 and now i don't know what's going on...

Well I think I figured out my bad mileage. the vacuum motor on the air cleaner that opens the door that cuts off the neck of the cleaner from the cleaner itself (not hot manifold air redirect), broke so little to no air was getting to my engine. i removed the vacuum motor and tied the arm up to keep the door open yesterday, and it was doing fine after that.

today was a different story though. i was driving around, and it noticeably lacked power again and was stumbling and hesitating while i was accelerating. got home and decided to check the timing and do the first compression test on this engine i've ever done. timing checked out, but when i tried to measure the amount of vacuum being applied to the vacuum advance, there was none there :eek: . capped the original port for the vacuum advance and hooked it up to straight ported vacuum off the carb. working better now. then i pulled one spark plug at a time for the compression test, and every spark plug had massive ash deposits on them. well that also helps explain the lack of power and hesitating if the cylinders are barely firing. ordered some E3 diamond fire plugs from oreilly that i'll pick up tomorrow. now for the compression test results:
1- 140
2- 140
3- 140
4- 140
5- 140
6- 140
Woohoo! I was expecting some low numbers to show, considering this is still the original engine with a little less than 140K on in. i'm pretty happy. tomorrow comes new spark plugs and an overdue oil change, and possibly repainting the air cleaner. we'll see how that goes.
if there's anything in particular you guys want to see pics of on my jeep, let me know. i want to post more pics, just don't have anything new to show really.

Spark plugs haven't come in yet, but I changed the oil, and I did repaint the air cleaner.

P1220240 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

P1220241 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

P1220242 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

P1220243 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

P1220244 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

P1220245 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
Original plan for the air cleaner was to use a Rustoleum rust-inhibiting flat black as a base, then use a semi gloss to finish it off, but I liked the look of it a lot with just the flat black. makes the engine compartment seem a bit cleaner too.

After reading that the ammeter going bad could start an electrical fire, I started getting very nervous, and gave in to my nerves today. Bypassed the ammeter and installed a voltmeter from harbor freight. here it is
Here is the bracket I made. I didn't have much time, so I made a very rough bracket that could get the job done for now. I'll make a better bracket eventually.
IMG00120-20120312-1253 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

Bracket installed under AC vent
IMG00121-20120312-1323 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

Gauge installed and working
IMG00122-20120312-1326 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
Not too bad. I spent a little less than $7 after using a 20% off coupon, and got a free 25' tape measure from HF as well. not too bad.
also used the jeep to jump start a ferrari the other day. it was my friend's grandpa's 1981 308gtsi. my friend's little brother was driving it at the time. my friend and i left, only to get a call from the brother saying that it died before it got to the driveway parking lot, and we had to go push it back into the shop where it was stored.

Not a lot been going on recently. Didn't have much homework today, so on the drive home i'm thinking "ok, i'm gonna finally take apart the choke thermostat and give it a good cleaning today." first chance i've gotten in quite a while. what's that thing they say about you make plans and God laughs? well its true. i get home and it starts raining. but i went ahead and pulled the carb anyways. got the thermostat all cleaned up and rod inside rotating nice and smooth with no binding :D . there was a good amount of dirt on those parts. didn't get a chance to test it tonight, but we'll see when i head off to school tomorrow. i'm hoping it works, i'm getting tired of having to go under the hood to manually set the high idle and choke every time i have to do a cold start.

Spring break is back! No, there's nothing wrong with my springs, just off of school for the next 10 days now. Let the projects begin!

What I'm planning on:

Figure out and fix why my 258 is only getting 11.5 MPG
Pull headliner to redo (again :banghead: )
Build a front receiver hitch to use my receiver plate-mounted winch with
Maybe some front recovery points.
While the headliner is out:
Install a cab light kit I bought back in September
Reinforce stock roof rack mounting points
build a roof rack to mount onto the existing stock roof rack

So far, I've figured out that my air filter was bad, so I replaced that today, so we'll see how mileage does after that. I've also pulled the headliner and started work on the cab lights. I've got all the mounting points/holes sketched out on the roof in pencil, lights going on and getting wired in tomorrow! Gonna be nice not to have that kit sitting on my dresser anymore like it has been since September! Pics to come tomorrow after I finish the cab light install.

Kick started it all yesterday. So far:
Replaced the air filter

Pulled the headliner so I can redo it again :banghead:
P2170248 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
P2170249 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
No rust! :thumbsup:

And while the headliner is out, I installed these
P2180251 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
P2180250 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
Cab lights on a WT Cherokee! I've had the kit sitting on my dresser since september and finally got a chance to install them. Got them at Harbor Freight, can't remember how much though. I'll grab a pic tonight with them lit up. I think they're really cool, so I'm happy with the result.
jeepjerry wrote:I love this widetrac!!!....:thumbsup:
Glad to hear you like it! I like hearing when others like the work I'm doing. Makes me want to try more unique things.
Didn't do too much today. Started out putting her to work again, this time hauling 600 lbs of cardboard to the recycling center and made $30 off of it.
Then, apparently the old air filter was really clogged and restrictive (fram), so i was tuning my carb to run with less air. Now, with the new filter (wix), it was running too lean at idle. So i readjusted the idle mixture. There was the first part of the carb work. Next, I replaced a leaking gasket that was letting gas leak out onto the intake and burn off while driving. Last, I readjusted the vacuum pull-off clearance. Should have been open 1/8", it was open about 3 to 4 times that on the vacuum pull off, so that explains why it was stalling while cold when coming to a stop.
So some good work for today. Running very smooth and accelerates nicely again. Now i'm gonna start trying to figure out where to mount my new hi-lift jack i got for $35 at harbor freight :thumbsup:

As promised, here are the pics of the new cab lights lit up at night. i'll apologize now for not being a great nighttime photographer

head on, marker lights only
P2180253 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

Side view, markers only
P2180258 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

Side view, markers and headlights
P2180256 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

Side view, with markers, headlights, and marchal fog lights with 100W bulbs installed :thumbsup: would have taken a head on shot like this, but it was too bright for my camera
P2180255 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

Wow, I didn't get as much done this break as I had hoped to. Did some tuning to the engine and got it running and idling very nicely, don't know if I've fixed the 11.5 mpg yet though :banghead:. other than that, i got really busy and progress kinda stopped after installing the cab lights. must have had something to do with easter on sunday, working monday through wednesday, going to the beach on thursday, and visiting colleges friday through today. crazy how much all the little things eat up your time, huh? well on the plus side, i got a lot of money (for a high school senior anyways) for my work, so more money to spend on the Jeep! looking like a rough country 3" lift is in the near future... :cool:

So some of you may know I tried a MC2150 swap not too long ago, but stopped because I thought it was causing problems, that as it turns out, it wasn't. the fuel filters were clogged, making run very weird. Anyways, i decided to give it another shot today. Wow! You all weren't kidding when I read that the MC 2100's and 2150's really wake up the 258. that was a huge improvement over old Carter BBD. much better power now. here's a pic for all you pic lovers out there. enjoy!

IMG00148-20120422-1745 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

Just finished installing a brand new Skip White HEI ignition system. It is a very nice improvement! Pics will be up tomorrow, don't worry ;)

IMAG0012 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

Just with the MC2150 and the HEI, I got my mpg back up to 15, right where it should be. Since the last fill up though, I've dropped jet size from #56 to a #52, and i hooked up the powervalve to an actual vacuum source (i hooked it up to manifold vacuum, just on the wrong side of a delay valve). Working well now!
Unrelated, I'm working on getting my homemade kayak ready for summer. I'll be posting in Off-Topic about that soon for anyone who's interested.

Cleaned out my fresh air vents today.

IMAG0025 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

That's what came out of both vents. I got a much different experience with the work though, than the impression I got. I got the impression that the driver side vent would be harder to get to and clean because of having to remove the parking brake pedal, and the passenger side would be easier because you just have to drop the AC unit. Exact opposite for me. In my case, removing the parking brake pedal was really quick and easy, and you could get everything out of the way, where the AC unit just sat there in the way. Just my .02. Well this is gonna make the drive to my annual family camping trip much nicer, since I can't use the AC on the hill into Auburn, CA since it saps all the power from the 258. They work really well now, just gotta get some screen and JB weld it to the bottom side of the cowl grill.

A couple months back, I bought a hi-lift jack from harbor freight for about $30 or so, but it sat in the garage since then since I couldn't find a place in the Jeep to put it. Well I finally had some time, so I mounted it to the tire carrier.

IMAG0034 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
Since taking this pic, I unbolted the base and put it inside the jeep since it was already rubbing through the paint, and I made a couple spacers out of metal pipe to keep the jack from resting on the tire carrier bracket on the tailgate. I'll see if I can find the pics I took before the mounting.
fsj1979 wrote:I realize this thread is a year old, but that is a GREAT looking rig! Keep up the great work!:thumbsup:
Wow has it really been that long since I updated? Looks like I've got some catching up to do haha.
And thanks Jeff! Gotta admit its been tough at times, but I love this Jeep and it treats me well.
So there's not too much to report on right now, but there's a few things. I put on a brand new Weber 32/36 DGEV carb over my Thanksgiving break, then I had 5 weeks for Christmas, so I started with rigging the rear window to bypass the safety switch and the rear key switch since they were both causing a little trouble, so now it only works on the front switch. Then I got around to installing a 2" lift kit (I'll post pics soon once I find them again). Then just before I leave for school again, I installed a $25 pair of yellow fog lights I got from Oreilly's. I'll take some pics of those as well and post them when I can.

Well, its taken me long enough to update here. This semester's been rough. So I installed a 2" lift for starters.

Before
IMG_20130120_122658 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

After
IMG_20130122_104054 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
IMG_20130122_104107 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr
IMG_20130122_104117 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

Here's the yellow fog lights I installed
2013-05-09 11.29.08 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

And just for fun, I bought and installed a PA speaker. Sure makes driving around Chico at night on weekends more fun and less stressful
2013-05-09 11.30.57 by bruner1981jpce, on Flickr

Next up i have to figure out why my engine dies whenever my HEI gets any kind of vacuum advance
WHSII wrote: Bruner,

Pull your distributor cap and look at the rim of the aluminum housing.

We all know that there is a notch in that ring for the distributor cap to index in for alignment.

Check to see if there are two notches... Yes two places to index the distributor cap in.

I believe if you looked at the top of the cap, you would see a bump out where the wires connect to the cap. Call this the cap's tail.

Looking down on the cap, if the vacuum advance is on the counter clockwise side of the tail, it seems the advance kills the engine.

If you find the "other" notch, the vacuum advance will be to the right or clockwise of the tail, and your vacuum advance will not kill the engine, it will enhance...

If you do in dead have the two notches and move the vacuum canister to the right of the tail and it will not start, I would bet you have an adjustable vacuum advance and need to take the allen wrench and I believe turn it clockwise a turn or so, then try to start.

Ask me how I know...

I have fooled with distributors for 40 plus years and have never seen two indexing notches for the cap to align until I set up my HEI.

PM me if you need more info.

Just my thoughts...
Thanks for the info WH. I'll have to look into that after class today.

I fixed the vacuum advance. I actually didn't know that there were notches for indexing the cap, so that's what I check on, I only had one notch but I didn't even have the cap on it. Got that straightened out and readjusted everything, and now it doesn't die with the vacuum advance on :thumbsup: Thanks again for the info WH!
WHSII wrote:No problem, I fought mine for a week before I found out about the two notches...
I've had this dizzy for close to a year and I've been fighting the problem since about last august. All because of that notch. Weird how that works.
Andy
1981 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/T176/NP208 2" front springs with new stock rear springs and 2 1/2" blocks, sitting on 31's

will e

Post by will e »

Wow, that's turing out NICE. I like the cab lights, really nice original touch. The hijack mount is super clean too. The lift really finishes it off for sure. Just a really nice looking truck!

I would suggest something to secure the tool box/winch and such in the cargo area.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
bruner1981jpce

Post by bruner1981jpce »

will e wrote:Wow, that's turing out NICE. I like the cab lights, really nice original touch. The hijack mount is super clean too. The lift really finishes it off for sure. Just a really nice looking truck!

I would suggest something to secure the tool box/winch and such in the cargo area.
Thanks! Yeah those tend to slide around a bit. I still need to put in some tie downs
Andy

Topic author
bruner1981jpce

Post by bruner1981jpce »

Copied from my post from IFSJA a few days ago:

I’ve been gone for quite some time, and it feels good to be back. Back in the summer of 2014, I was broke and in college and just didn’t have the time or money for the Jeep, so I had to park it in storage. Since then I worked a few small jobs and internships, worked in law enforcement for a couple years, then got out and got a job as a draftsman. My fiance and I just moved with the company I’m working for now up to Payette, ID, so the Jeep got loaded on a car hauler and came up with us, and now it’s got it’s own spot in the garage. I’ve been wanting to get it running again for the last couple years, but it being in a storage yard a half hour away made that difficult. Now it’s just right out in the garage and I am itching to get back to work.

Seems kinda funny, when I first got the Jeep it had been sitting for 15 years or so and had a whole list of things to fix right off the bat. Now that’s it’s been sitting again for 7 years this time, the list is almost exactly the same. No ridiculous smog where I’m at now, so the whole mess of vacuum lines are out, fan belt is replaced, rebuilt and installed the BBD, and cleaned up the horrifying mess of electrical I did back in high school. I don’t know what I was thinking when I wired in all that stuff back then. Quick splices everywhere, speaker wire used for power wires, black wires used as hot wires. There was no cleaning that up, that all got cut out and I’ll be starting that from scratch.

I’m hoping with the long weekend coming up that I’ll be able to make some good progress to getting it running again. Needs an oil change and coolant, the rear diff is leaking again so I’ll be putting a new gasket in, and I’ll have to drain the old gas. I ordered a simple 12V electric fuel pump off Amazon, so I’ll pull the hose from the inlet side of the filter I’ve got just after the tank and hook the pump to that, hook it up to a battery and let it do it’s thing. Hopefully with some fresh gas and the rebuilt carb it should fire up pretty easily. I’ve got my eye on some used tires that I can throw on temporarily until I can get some money together for the tires I really want.

I’ve got a few plans in mind for the Jeep, and it sounds like some of my new friends up here want to help make them happen, so I am beyond excited to get it back on the road. My fiance has never ridden in it yet, so I’m hoping after the first ride, she’ll get more on board with it. I’m sure it will win her over soon, these FSJs have a way of doing that!
Andy

Topic author
bruner1981jpce

Post by bruner1981jpce »

Friday was a good day. Changed the oil and added coolant to get it ready to try to start. That little electric pump I bought worked wonders for draining the tank. Turns out while it was sitting in storage, someone siphoned off most of the gas and left me with only about 5.5 gallons. Jokes on them this time, it actually made my life easier! Added 5 gallons of fresh gas and tried to start it up, but nothing, even with starter fluid. Turns out I wasn't getting a spark from the HEI. Pulled the HEI and put the stock ignition back in and only got backfires through the carb. Took me a few tries to realize I installed the stock distributor 180 degrees off. Flipped that around and she fired right up! Runs really smooth, seems to have good throttle response too. Ran out of time to take her for a test drive this weekend but hopefully today.

I'm hoping I'll be able to run the tires that are on it now for just a little bit. I think I put those tires on back in Nov 2011. Really liking the idea of some 33's...
Andy

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Good to hear from you, and that you are now in a better position to get it running again. A lot of people aren't able to store a vehicle for so many years until they are in a better position in life.

33's will look great, but with stock gears, its going to kind of suck. I was there with my J10, which is why I regeared it from 2.73s to 4.56s. Although 4.10s would be more HWY friendly and still fine for 33s.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ