1974 Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Nikkormat

Re: 1974 Cherokee

Post by Nikkormat »

Dang, that sucks. Groaning is definitely no good. Wish I had something to offer besides good luck. You've got the removing and installing down pat so hopefully after a quick rebuild you'll be back on the road. Maybe this is a good excuse for some upgrades?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Trying this tapatalk app.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Wow your trans is original, that's pretty cool.

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Yeah but it needs rebuilt.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Been a while so here goes!

Since my last update I have:

Replaced the passenger side exhaust manifold ( That was cracked)

Removed the Skip White junk distributor and put the stock one back in. Removed the points and used Pertronix. Much happier now. No longer have trouble restarting it after a 30 minute drive. No longer is pinging. Seems to be happy. :D

Drove recently to Vancouver Washington ( 90 miles one way) and no problems. Still need to fine tune, maybe change jets again on the carb but for now it is okay.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

This Jeep hates me! :lol: :banghead:

Drove to work ( All of maybe 1 mile ) It is all up hill too. Running fine until I was about to pull into work. Had to wait for on coming traffic, as soon as it was clear I press the gas pedal and it dies. Restart it, put it in gear and it does it again, and again. 2 cars drove around me, then the Sheriff behind me left me enough room and I put it in neutral and coast back and to the curb. Sheriff pulls along side, asks if I need any help. Tell him I'll be fine so he drives off and 6 more cars drive by.

I start it up again but no matter what gear it goes in it dies. So I start it up, it idles fine. Pop the hood to look see for anything. Notice nothing, close hood. Put it in gear and it is fine, nervously press the gas pedal and make it 10 feet into the drive way and everything is fine.

:banghead:

So tomorrow, weather permitting, I will follow these tune procedure from Redone http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=12415

Also watching this thread about EGR valve http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=12399

My '74 401 is basically all stock except the older Carter carb 1406, dual exhaust and Pertronix ignition. My stock 4 barrel manifold has a EGR with no vacuum line to it and the charcoal canister only has a fuel tank vent line to it.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

az chip

Post by az chip »

My stock 4 barrel manifold has a EGR with no vacuum line to it and the charcoal canister only has a fuel tank vent line to it.
Doesn't sound right.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

az chip wrote:
My stock 4 barrel manifold has a EGR with no vacuum line to it and the charcoal canister only has a fuel tank vent line to it.
Doesn't sound right.
Previous owners did this. I'll have to get a picture of how this is set up.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

letank

Post by letank »

berettajeep wrote: EGR with no vacuum line to it and the charcoal canister only has a fuel tank vent line to it.
74 charcoal canister is correct... vent from gas tank, and hose to snorkel to recuperate gas vapor

EGR is usually fitted with a exhaust back pressure sensor, vacuum feed from ported vacuum, 74 does not have a delay valve, but you could salvage one from the later models

No knowledge on the 1406, but stalling upon initial throttle action is a lean condition due to a failure of the enrichment circuit...

-either a vacuum leak or a failing rubber on the enrichment circuit...

Post on the tech section, it may get more answers

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

I am terrible at updating this! :oops:
In no paticular order...

(1) My steering shaft was original and very worn. Searching the web, I found a '76-86 CJ7 with power steering will work and I lose the rag joint and very worn out u-joint in the stock one. So I ordered a good used one. I was in a hurry to get it in and out of the rain that I did a no no. :x

On the steering gear box, at the end of the splines is a knub ( For lack of a better word) There is also a dowel pin holding it. Not thinking I tap the dowel pin out and try twisting that "knub" out. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

If I would have looked at a manual I would have seen that this "knub" runs through the center of the splines into the box, so it won't slide out. DON"T DO WHAT I DID!!!

Not knowing if I damaged anything, I put the dowel pin back in. I then took a sawzall and cut off the "knub" flush at the end of the splines. Next I connected the CJ7 shaft, after I compressed it down in order to fit.

Finally got it all hooked up. Started the Jeep and the steering wheel turned its self to the fully to the right and still sound like it wanted to go past its stopping point. :banghead:

So I messed up the box.

The welding instructor at the college I work for has a '78 Cherokee Chief the is a parts rig. He is only using the axles. So after getting permission, I have been scavaging parts of of it. So I took the steering box.

And of course it is different then mine.

From bjsoffroad.com

1974-76 = 13/16 Inch Input Shaft.
1977-91 = 3/4 Inch Input Shaft.

What they sell.

Steering boxes are: 71-76; 77-79; 80-91

Steering shaft coupler w/rag joint: 74-76; 77-91

Steering shaft stock replacement: 74-91

Steering shaft Heavy duty: 74-76; 77-91

O'Reilly's, Napa, and AutoZone sell rebuild kits. Only O'Reilly's list these for "With 13/16 Inch Input Shaft"

All of them say the rebuild kit is the same for a '74 and '78. Which is confusing, unless they include everything for the different boxes, I hope.

My '74 his a 4 bolt box that only utilized 3 of the bolts.
The parts '78 box is a 3 bolt. Also being a smaller spline I had to use the steering shaft from this Jeep.

So trying to upgrade my steering I ended up still using a rag jointed shaft that is smaller. Although this shaft does not have the u-joint that my '74 has.

Lesson learned on this. :(

(2) From the parts '78, I also took the rear side glass. It is the 2 piece that can be opened. Anyone know a source for the weather stripping?

(3) Finally had an alignment done at the automotive shop at the college. Camber is off on the right side, so I'll need to get adjustable ball joints.

(4) Last week after work I was going to drive straight the brewery to have a drink with my girl. Downtown was packed so I drove home. I can walk the 5 minutes there :lol: Get out of the Jeep, lock it, shut the door and it does not latch. try a few things and nothing.

So as it rains I am taking my door panel off to see what I see. Completely remove the latch assembly and clean it up. Rusted up just enough where it was not doing what it is suppose to do. My only I guess problem is that the interior door handle has lost its spring action. Not a big deal

(5) A while back my wipers would not shut off and every 4th time of movement they would get stuck. Gear inside stripped. I took the parts '78 and used it's gear ( The rest of it was so rotted out) Motor works but if they run for too long and then I shut it off they will continue wiping. They also don't rest in the all the way down position. A rebuilt motor is in the future.

(6) From the parts '78 I also took the power steering pump. Not for the pump but for the belt adjustment bracket. My '74 did not have one.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

any chance the rear flares on the parts chief are decent?
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

jpswapmohn wrote:any chance the rear flares on the parts chief are decent?
This parts Jeep is so rotted out and has bondo covering it.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Thanks, had to ask.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Today's project. Rebuild the original power steering box.

'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

I am terrible at updating this. :banghead: In random order:

Doors have been taken apart to clean and lube window and locks.
Rear window keeps tripping the breaker in the harness I got from Serhill. Have not looked into to it.
Drivers side hinge on the tail gate is loose, from rust. Nervous about even lowering the tailgate anymore because of the rust.
I knocked off the drivers side rear seat belt/seat holder, because of rust. I was putting in some tools and i barely touched it. :banghead: Fell right off.
Girlfriends dad took his 2wd rental ( Armada or something like that) on the beach, I tried to help but my bald tires could get traction. Put it in low range and it would not disengage when I went to leave. Where the cable mounts to the bracket it pushed itself out.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

berettajeep wrote:I am terrible at updating this. :banghead: In random order:

Doors have been taken apart to clean and lube window and locks.
Rear window keeps tripping the breaker in the harness I got from Serhill. Have not looked into to it.
Drivers side hinge on the tail gate is loose, from rust. Nervous about even lowering the tailgate anymore because of the rust.
I knocked off the drivers side rear seat belt/seat holder, because of rust. I was putting in some tools and i barely touched it. :banghead: Fell right off.
Girlfriends dad took his 2wd rental ( Armada or something like that) on the beach, I tried to help but my bald tires could get traction. Put it in low range and it would not disengage when I went to leave. Where the cable mounts to the bracket it pushed itself out.
The rear wheel well issues plauge my 74 too sadly

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Last Friday started the Cherokee, drove down the road for a moment. Looked down at my swapped in volt gauge ( Amp meter is stock) and it was registering 10 volts. Turned around and drove home. I shut it off and it stay at 10. Confused Start it back up and it is at 12 and not moving.

Sigh. So I said whatever in my best valley girl voice and drive 10 minutes to Home Depot. ( Kitchen project to add more counter space/shelves. Needed the Cherokee to haul the 4x8 sheet.) Driving there it moves up to 13 volts.

Get to H.D., shut it off and and it stays at 13. So I go inside, hoping to have a Jeep when I go back out. LOL (Good news, it was!)

Drove it back home and disconnected the battery. The gauge still showed 13.

Today I take the dash apart and the gauge has a couple spots where the needle gets "stuck"

End up destroying the gauge trying to remove it, so another was just ordered.

Yay Jeeps!!! LOL
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

berettajeep wrote:Last Friday started the Cherokee, drove down the road for a moment. Looked down at my swapped in volt gauge ( Amp meter is stock) and it was registering 10 volts. Turned around and drove home. I shut it off and it stay at 10. Confused Start it back up and it is at 12 and not moving.

Sigh. So I said whatever in my best valley girl voice and drive 10 minutes to Home Depot. ( Kitchen project to add more counter space/shelves. Needed the Cherokee to haul the 4x8 sheet.) Driving there it moves up to 13 volts.

Get to H.D., shut it off and and it stays at 13. So I go inside, hoping to have a Jeep when I go back out. LOL (Good news, it was!)

Drove it back home and disconnected the battery. The gauge still showed 13.

Today I take the dash apart and the gauge has a couple spots where the needle gets "stuck"

End up destroying the gauge trying to remove it, so another was just ordered.

Yay Jeeps!!! LOL

*valley girl voice* It's a Jeep Thing you probably won't understand.

Skypig53

Post by Skypig53 »

Wondering how the build is going. Just picked up my own ‘74 w/ 401. 2nd owner and pretty well original inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.