Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Re: Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Post by Lumpskie »

Hello All! I can't believe that it has been 3 years since I last posted on this thread. I've just been driving the Waggy during summer months and storing it over winter. One annoyance is the smog pump. I am on my 3rd smog pump (Oreilly or Napa... can't remember which) and it is making the classic clackity sound that means it is on it's last leg. Since I had my last pump seize on me, causing lots of failures, I have decided to just cut the belt, for the time being.

I'd like to get everyone's advice on this. Can you all recommend a smog pump that will work for more than just a few years? Do you recommend leaving it disconnected? (I don't know why... the low end feels better on the waggy with it connected) What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks for the help and, to keep things more interesting, here is a pic of what it looks like these days. (running general ATX tires now... not much else has changed)

1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

All it does is pump air into the exhaust during warm up to burn off the unburned and partially burned fuel entering the exhaust. Do you still have a catalytic converter?

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

ProTouring442 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:38 pm All it does is pump air into the exhaust during warm up to burn off the unburned and partially burned fuel entering the exhaust. Do you still have a catalytic converter?
Yes sir. I'm still running the full stock setup. Honestly, other than replacing the smog pumps every couple of years, I don't have complaints. For now, I just disconnected the pump. But, I'd be interested in a more reliable pump... if there is such a thing.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I ran into the same issue. Could never find one that would last. Either failed bearings or the plastic blades inside would start to scrape and make a terrible noise.

But it’s awesome that it’s been a great driver for you.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Lumpskie wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:38 amYes sir. I'm still running the full stock setup. Honestly, other than replacing the smog pumps every couple of years, I don't have complaints. For now, I just disconnected the pump. But, I'd be interested in a more reliable pump... if there is such a thing.
Not having the pump may shorten the life of the converter, but it's not likely to do so by very much, should you want to leave it disconnected. Otherwise, search for a private rebuilder as such is likely to be longer lived.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

I doubt that it would shorten cat life, it might decrease its efficiency though - those old converter need extra oxygen from air to burn remaining hydrocarbons.

Ditch the pump and get a modern cat with air tube and it should be fine. Unless you’re in California :)
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

ProTouring442

Re: Lumpskie's

Post by ProTouring442 »

sirrus wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:23 pm I doubt that it would shorten cat life, it might decrease its efficiency though - those old converter need extra oxygen from air to burn remaining hydrocarbons.

Ditch the pump and get a modern cat with air tube and it should be fine. Unless you’re in California :)
As the lack of extra air will allow unburned fuel into the cat, it may shorten cat life. Probably not by much, but I thought it important to explain so he could make the best and most informed decision possible.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks for the reply, guys.

@Stuka My pumps all seem to make a clackity sound (It almost sounds like piston slap). I let that sound go undiagnosed a few years back and the pump siezed. When it did, it broke my fan clutch which sent the fan into my radiator. (I won't make that mistake again!) Have you run into that with yours?

Thanks for the information @ProTouring442 and @Sirrus. I'll take a look around and see if there's a local rebuilder who would be interested in doing the work. There are no emissions requirements in my area so, for now, I'll just leave it disconnected. Also, thanks for the reminder on the effect on the cat.

Long term, I get attracted to the idea of having the waggy running in the same configuration as the factory. (Feel free to make fun of me now)