Panel delivery resto-mod wag canceled in lieu of 78 Cherokee NT.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

willysdave

Re: Panel delivery resto-mod wagoneer build

Post by willysdave »

Thanks for that, you are right, I had forgotten Kaiser owned it before AMC. I was just curious, I have owned a similar wagon to yours and I loved it. It rode like a dream on road and commanded respect.
1961 Willys Wagon, high compression 383 stroker,custom exhaust, TH400 w/stage two kit, Dana 300, Currie twin stick,LoMax 4:1,D60 front, 14 bolt rear, Discs, E brakes, hydro brakes, PSC hydro assist, ARBs,38 x 14.5 x 17 MTRKs on steel, 4 link front w/ King coilovers, Autometer Phanthom Gauges,Winters shifter, buckets ,old crappy paint with some rust and dents, just the way I like it ;)

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Lol, Carnuck, how could I forget Renault with their awesome transmissions!? A pox upon me for a clumsy lout- as usual. Hahaha.

Willysdave, yeah, the models sent out October, November, and December of 1962 could've been sold before the end of the calendar year and registered as a 62 even though they were supposed to be 63's. My son's 62 thriftside is registered as a 62 due to an early sale.

I once had a 65 j truck that was meant to be a 66, but the owner bought it for himself as a Christmas present on Christmas Eve in 65 according to the paperwork that came with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willysdave

Post by willysdave »

That's good stuff
1961 Willys Wagon, high compression 383 stroker,custom exhaust, TH400 w/stage two kit, Dana 300, Currie twin stick,LoMax 4:1,D60 front, 14 bolt rear, Discs, E brakes, hydro brakes, PSC hydro assist, ARBs,38 x 14.5 x 17 MTRKs on steel, 4 link front w/ King coilovers, Autometer Phanthom Gauges,Winters shifter, buckets ,old crappy paint with some rust and dents, just the way I like it ;)

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The BA 10/5 was actually Peugeot and not Renault made. The engineers made 2 mistakes with those. They doubled the strength rating twice or used the wrong conversion chart (like the Mars probe some years ago) and they messed with end clearances. I had a Peugeot tech out here fix the end clearances of the one my Comanche came with and I ran it pretty hard then sold it still good functioning after 10 years when I converted to automatic.

The 4 cylinder diesel 84-86 was Renault (built with with Volvo and Peugeot) "suitcase" motor designed by a committee like the PRV 6 cyl gas motor that got sold to Delorean motors who then sold it to Mitsubishi and they fixed the wet sleeves, timing chains and other issues to make the 3.0L used in Dodge Caravans. Nissan had a hand in with the Jeep/Chrysler connection too by supplying SD33 and SD33T diesels and adapters to bolt to Chrysler big block 727 or T18s.

66stepside wrote:Lol, Carnuck, how could I forget Renault with their awesome transmissions!? A pox upon me for a clumsy lout- as usual. Hahaha.

Willysdave, yeah, the models sent out October, November, and December of 1962 could've been sold before the end of the calendar year and registered as a 62 even though they were supposed to be 63's. My son's 62 thriftside is registered as a 62 due to an early sale.

I once had a 65 j truck that was meant to be a 66, but the owner bought it for himself as a Christmas present on Christmas Eve in 65 according to the paperwork that came with it.

Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

KJ Ryu, here's some pics from the jeep service manual (circa 1965-66) of the two shifter styles for the Dana 20:

Standard shifter most of us have:

Kind of in-between early and later model jeeps:

It allows a driver's side shifter for a passenger's side drop Dana 20, but I don't think 4wd low would be an option- but I could be wrong on that.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Wow, that looks insane. Lots of wear points. Guess I just need to get the twin stick conversion done, with longer bent sticks, so I can reach them without taking my seatbelt off.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I have some graphics ready to go, just need time to get the file to the vinyl guy.

I adjusted the brake light switch to a better position, hooked up the tach to be operational and a few other misc. things, it's kind of warm today, but overcast, so I thought I'd get back into the process.

Topic author
66stepside

Panel delivery resto-mod wagoneer build

Post by 66stepside »

So now that I'm tooling around in her fairly often, I've got to do something about that old Ross box.

I didn't want PS, so I am opting for a Saginaw Manual Box for now.

I was going to use the XJ box bracket, but it seemed a little frail compared to the older FSJ bracket. Yeah, the panel will never be off road again, but still.

Then I snagged an AMC Eagle bracket:

Perfect fit on the box, but limited room to install correctly with the front clip still installed. A 1/4" piece of plate steel could've been used to make it work, but maybe a factory part is better in this case.

So an FSJ bracket is on the way.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The pre-'74 FSJtruck bracket is probably right for what you need.

Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Yeah, I had one for the panel, but used it on 62thriftside's truck.

I've got one on the way from the East Coast, though.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

She came today. Off a 75 cherk? I did not know Jeep kept them on that long, but then again, I'm a 60's kind of guy.

It did get the sniff of approval from Emma.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Oh yeah, the trim rings came and for a few more fists full of dollars I got some hub caps, too.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

What does your frame look like? I've always been confused about the steering mounts. My 68 was originally non power steering and just has a pad welded to the frame that is stock as far as I've been able to tell. I picked up one of those bolt on brackets from an early J20 awhile back thinking I was missing it but ended up not using it.

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Here's a shot of the panel's frame from the outside. Note the 4 holes where the plate is supposed to bolt up:

Here's a better shot of the 62 Thriftside with the same plate bolted in, but I had to drill two of the four holes as that frame did not have them pre-drilled:

Maybe the early, early models were supposed to just have the Ross set up, but somewhere in-between early to mid production the engineers realized something better was needed for the new line?

44bz

Post by 44bz »

This is what mine looks like on the steering box side (not my pic)
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/ ... damage.jpg

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Some had the factory bracket welded in at the factory- especially once the Ross set up was phased out, along with the Rambler-based V8s phased in. The 230 series motors did come with an optional power steering unit, but it was super rare as an option and I've only seen 3 early wags with it installed- I think it was without the Saginaw box, though, and kept the V shaped bracket on the front frame brace that the Ross set up also used.

My 66 (327 Vig., w PS from the factory) had the welded in bracket like the one in your pic; there was no separate bracket.

The green 65 S'wag has PS, but someone bolted it altogether with a separate bracket.

I would think that over the past 30 plus years, especially in the early years, if the truck, or Wagoneer was a base model, or ordered/sold without power steering to begin with, the dealer could install PS by retro-fitting the jeeps with that bolt in bracket, or it could be done an owner if need be.

The manual steering box I have came from that 67 Wagoneer- but it had a welded in bracket similar to the one in your pic.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

Very curious, thanks for letting me muck up your thread with steering bracketry nonsense:)

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

There's no progress with out mucking! Hahahha, it's all good, besides, I am willing to share what little I know.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I snagged a few parts today. I wish I could've gotten the matching front and rear seats off her- flawless.

Just a grill, pie plates, headlight bezels, black seat belts, instrument cluster, front turn signals, blah, blah, blah, and a slick nearly new looking jeep logo'd key with ignition switch. The pink grill was once red, I think.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Nice box of parts! You seem to be able to find some great Kaiser-era stuff out there! My only stuff from that time is a 69 dash with an ignition cylinder and key just like the one you posted. I saved it from a part truck I had which, after spending its life on Cape Cod, was not salvageable.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.