FastEddie J10 restomod

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: FastEddie J10 restomod

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Will you please post pics or a walk around video when you can? I realize you do t want to “release it” in entirety until after the show(s) but it would be cool to have a virtual tour to see it all at once.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

MReese Wagoneer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:18 pm that truck is looking sweet !!!
Thank you!
Truck was scheduled for it's first show The Good Guys west coast national but of course that's been cancelled, rescheduled for the end of May, cool thing the good guys are allowing the J10 to be indoors with the high end customs, first J10 I think to be at that level. Cheers

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:20 am Will you please post pics or a walk around video when you can? I realize you do t want to “release it” in entirety until after the show(s) but it would be cool to have a virtual tour to see it all at once.
Pictures I can do on Tapatalk but don't know how to post a video other facebook, maybe you can help me with that Stuka?
Right now it's stuck in my garage at home, surprised it made it thru the door, had 1/2" roof clearance to spare! good thing really needed the rain.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

No way to post videos directly here. Would need to be on YouTube.

But once this is all over, I would happily help with a walk around video. I have the camera for it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Stuka wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:40 am No way to post videos directly here. Would need to be on YouTube.

But once this is all over, I would happily help with a walk around video. I have the camera for it.
Thanks Stuka, That would be appreciated!
Working out the bugs right now, looks like the 4.56 gears aren't low enough cruising thru town in 4th gear no lockup the engine turning 500 rpm at 30 mph the D20's not happy,looking around for a backup camera that work with the rear view mirror, can't see a thing behind me, hate the stock seats, don't tilt or go back far enough,
On the plus side fits in my garage- that a relief!! love the engine starts right away sounds good and gobs of power, dashboard turned out better than I expected, padded dash,hydroed wood grain,built in AC vents, body and paint is perfection Steve did a great job, power board steps worked out well don't think I could have climbed into the cab otherwise, gets lots of attention!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Overdrive is really for the HWY, so I would not be concerned with it not being able to hit OD at 30mph.

That's a lot of power for the D20, is it making noises? You may have to swap in an NP style case. Downside is pulling the trans apart to change the output shaft :(
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Maybe, I talked to the owner of advanced adapters at sema he felt a Dana 300 would work well ,more clearance front driveshaft to trans oil pan as a bonus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

D300 would be a big strength improvement, but still require changing the output shaft. Which AA's adapter for the D300 comes with the output shaft, similar to their D20 kit.
2017 JKU Rubicon

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Have you tried the ac out yet? How well do the vents work that low if so?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

As far as I know the Dana 300 doesn’t give any more pan clearance than a Dana 20, just food for thought.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Nikkormat wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:52 pm As far as I know the Dana 300 doesn’t give any more pan clearance than a Dana 20, just food for thought.
I think it may if its clocked down more. But the output is the same distance away from center line otherwise.

An NP case would move the drive shaft over more.
2017 JKU Rubicon

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I do know that a D300/TF727 has interference issues at the 727 pan. However, if you clock-it down it will clear with the expense of ground clearance.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

hutcho wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:05 am Have you tried the ac out yet? How well do the vents work that low if so?

Volume of air from vents is good, because the Vintage Air vents were so small they fit perfectly in that small space just above the bottom of dash which is pretty much where the oem Jeep evap was but really haven't had a chance to drive it in hot weather,
When it comes to AC and what works and how it feels boils down to cold air blowing toward the driver and passenger torso no matter how well insulated and tinted the cab is you will never cool the interior down to an acceptable level on a really hot day.
So back to the concept of AC venting, Vintage Air makes under dash panels with vents that would have worked fine if painted to match the dash and looked much like the factory AC evap or a good metal man could have fabricated a dash extension below the dash to accept bigger vents, I have a buddy that does this all the time in Hot Rods, but the vents we used as far as I know have never been used in this application and the plenums behind the dash are just metal tubes with adapters for the flex hose from the Gen IV evap so was worth a try just to be a little different.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

sonoraed wrote:
hutcho wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:05 am Have you tried the ac out yet? How well do the vents work that low if so?

Volume of air from vents is good, because the Vintage Air vents were so small they fit perfectly in that small space just above the bottom of dash which is pretty much where the oem Jeep evap was but really haven't had a chance to drive it in hot weather,
When it comes to AC and what works and how it feels boils down to cold air blowing toward the driver and passenger torso no matter how well insulated and tinted the cab is you will never cool the interior down to an acceptable level on a really hot day.
So back to the concept of AC venting, Vintage Air makes under dash panels with vents that would have worked fine if painted to match the dash and looked much like the factory AC evap or a good metal man could have fabricated a dash extension below the dash to accept bigger vents, I have a buddy that does this all the time in Hot Rods, but the vents we used as far as I know have never been used in this application and the plenums behind the dash are just metal tubes with adapters for the flex hose from the Gen IV evap so was worth a try just to be a little different.
I love how clean the install is and how it looks almost factory. My only concern was you would end up with hot/cold knees like factory lol! Really don't want to add vents up high in the dash though, aside from the ashtrays I haven't seen a really clean factory appearing way that I like lol! Your build is spot on perfect though, one of my absolute favorites!

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Stuka wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:09 am D300 would be a big strength improvement, but still require changing the output shaft. Which AA's adapter for the D300 comes with the output shaft, similar to their D20 kit.
I don't know much about Advance Adapters,trans is from Novak something I bought years ago before we did the build and was set up for a D20, the transfer case is the same one I used behind the original TH400 (was a quadratrac at one time) had Moose's Mountain Jeep rebuild it with a Novak OH kit, first few test drives after we got J10 running had a lot of clanging from the drive train driving down the road at 50-60 mph in 4th gear with original diff gears and no lock up TQ engaged.
Going to 4.56 gears and getting driveline angle right helped loads, but still not quite right, 700 R4/Dana20/4.56 gears/35" tires combination translate to 500 rpm in 4th gear at 35 mph (no TQ lock up) which tells me we need to install diff gears in the 500 range, but not going to mess with it now and when I do will probably go to a 4L60/80 so we can program shift points/lower gear ratio/and stronger t-case.
Right now tired to working on it and spending gobs of money and time, just going to enjoy it for what it is!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

When I run the numbers over on http://grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

I get 1088rpm at 35mph with your setup plugged in. It also translates to 2176rpm at 70mph, which is a good range to be in for that speed.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

I used that to determine the diff gear ratio but don’t think it’s accurate

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

hutcho wrote:
sonoraed wrote:

I love how clean the install is and how it looks almost factory. My only concern was you would end up with hot/cold knees like factory lol! Really don't want to add vents up high in the dash though, aside from the ashtrays I haven't seen a really clean factory appearing way that I like lol! Your build is spot on perfect though, one of my absolute favorites!

Thanks I appreciate that!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

sonoraed wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:48 pm I used that to determine the diff gear ratio but don’t think it’s accurate

Strange, I have used it for many vehicles and its always matched right on. When you are going 35 per your speedo, does GPS from your phone say the same speed? Perhaps the speedometer is off?
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Stuka wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:48 pm
sonoraed wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:48 pm I used that to determine the diff gear ratio but don’t think it’s accurate

Strange, I have used it for many vehicles and its always matched right on. When you are going 35 per your speedo, does GPS from your phone say the same speed? Perhaps the speedometer is off?
To be honest haven't spent the time needed to be super accurate about the numbers, I normally use my radar detector to set up speedometers I'll go and check it today, last couple of months have been nuts,got a new hangar I've waited 17 years, then the plane went thru the annual from hell and next week it goes to northern Oregon for a GPS navcom, busy at the shop with AC installs and my wife just retired and has long list of honey do's, don't have time to die from the Wuhan :)