"Goldie" (a long term build of a '79 WT Cherokee)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
charlie

"Goldie" (a long term build of a '79 WT Cherokee)

Post by charlie »

Introduction

Rig is a ’79 Cherokee W/T “Golden Eagle”. I bought it in Idaho from the 2nd owner. It was 100% stock when I got it w/ an AMC 360, TH400, QT, D44 f/r, 30” A/Ts. I drove it as my DD for a year or so and during that timeframe did a TFI upgrade, put some Hedman headers and dual 2.5” exhaust with flowmasters. The Hedmans and duals are long gone…now on factory manifolds and a single exhaust. In 2008, we moved to Maine and brought it with us. My wife drove it here for a few months, then the flex plate stripped out again and the rust started showing up. I decided to pull and rebuild the trans instead of just replacing the flex plate. While the trans and t-case were out, it seemed like a good time to go ahead and address rust in the floorpan. That quickly snowballed into what you see in the pictures in this thread.

This thread will start with some old pictures and explanation of what was going on back then. I’ll try to make it make some kind of sense, but its been in this project state for a long time.

Little Nostalgia

Couple pictures from Idaho, roughly 2006-ish. Unfortunately it doesn’t look this nice anymore. :(

Let’s get to work

Spring of 2009

I bought this transmission and transfer case from a local Maine FSJeeper.

Some of the goodies

Opened up the t-case and saw this.

rust reconnaissance

Then I pulled the rear seat and cargo carpet out. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of rust on the rest of the truck compared to the passenger side. The inside of the body panels around the flares and rear quarters arent pretty. But I think I can clean it up and convert it well enough to stop the spread of rust. The fellow FSJeeper that I bought the spare tranny/t-case from stopped by with another t-case and tranny along with an old starter

I wound up using the case, diff and yokes from t-case #2 and the low range and input gear from #1. The needle bearing being trashed was likely related to the side gear in the diff being crooked and wearing into the pin. So I bagged the complete diff, even though it was nicer looking.

I tore into the transmission. Got it mostly cleaned up and had to order some new parts.

Summer of 2009

Trans parts ready to go back together

My tiny workspace/garage

As clean as it will probably ever be

My neighbors LOVED me :D

The badly rusted flare. Im getting a fiberglass replacement and a new lower quarter panel. This what a quarter panel full of towels to supress the jack/lug wrench noise looks like.

Back in Idaho in the springtime things started to warm up and I started noticing a foul smell. So I did some investigating thinking I had just left too much smelly/wet ski equipment back there. Popped open the access panel, saw a bunch of towels. So I started pulling them out wondering why there were towels stuffed in there. After about a minute or so of digging and pilling the towels in front of me, I noticed the pile was moving on it own. I dry-heaved for about 30 min. Finally got some gloves and a big trash bag and a water hose and flushed it. Im still wary of sticking my hand down in there. :o

Finished the trans up. One last look inside

Valve body mod to prevent unwanted up shift. Also plugged the hole.

BOOYYAAHH! It looks so dirty now.

1st automatic Ive torn into. I hope it moves. :)

Fall of 2009

Now getting deeper into the tear down.

Started sandblasting, using my 20 gal sears compressor. Got about 95% of the undercarriage to bare metal until it gave out on me. I emptied the shelf of old crap rattle cans and painted the bare metal I had been working so hard on :banghead: , then tarped her up, pushed her out and let her sit.

In the spring of 2010, I went ahead and took the motor out. And really didnt do a whole lot else. The soon-to-be misses and I bought a house.

Here's a couple shots of the upgraded space.

Winter 2011

Got the engine on the stand and tore it down to the short block.

its going to get replaced, but is this considered normal chain stretch?

Spring of 2011

Pulled the body from the frame. Wound up having to "retrieve" the 2 rear body bolts. But it mostly went well. Got most of the front end of the frame completely disassembled (pics are before this).

Any of you scrapped the heat shield on the passenger side (or driver side for later rigs, if they have them) and ran without it? Ive had to take it off to finish the floors and may not put it back on.

Finally got some paint on the frame.

Image[/quote]

New BJs poly body mounts in
body is loosely bolted on
rear springs/axle in
front springs/axle in

'79 Cherokee Golden Eagle - DEEEEP into a frame off rebuild and collecting dust

Topic author
charlie

Re: "Goldie" (a long term build of a '79 WT Cherokee)

Post by charlie »

Current State

She's been sitting ever since 2011. Any free time Ive had the last 2.5 years has been spent on my '05 Mitsu Evo autocross car, wrenching or racing. My wife and I both miss our Full Size Jeep. We had an XJ w/ 31s and a 3" lift for a few years and loved it. Wouldnt take a sticker due to rust, I got tired of welding and grinding on it so I sold it to a buddy with an older Jeep w/ 258 so he can do a stroker w/ the HO 4.0. Never was quite as cool as Goldie, but we loved it and now miss both big time. She's been "nagging" me to get back on Goldie and get a family excursion vehicle back on the road.

The plan for the build at this point is:
- Rebuilt 360 w/ cam and eventually either TBI or better carb/manifold
- Rebuilt TH400 w/ TCI parts kit a a few 4l80 modifications DONE
- Rebuilt Quadratrac DONE
- Refresh F/R axles, hubs and brakes
- 4” Rustys lift DONE
- 33” tires
- 7/10 paint job and lots of rust proofing. May not stay w/ the Golden Eagle scheme.

Basically just a solid all around Jeep that will fit the family and all our stuff for camping, fishing and light 4 wheeling.

I had a chat with my neighbor this past weekend about using his paint booth ready garage for painting the undercarriage, interior and engine bay. The short term plan is to get the floor pan finished, replace both quarter panels, replace both rear flares with fiberglass replacements, then paint everything that I wont be able to access once installing body panels. Then a wishful goal of painting the exterior next spring.
'79 Cherokee Golden Eagle - DEEEEP into a frame off rebuild and collecting dust

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Great photo chronology. Looking forward to updates.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

cma

Post by cma »

Thanks for sharing, well done!
I`m in the same boat.....long term project...since changing the job last year i have nearby 0 time ........... :oops:
Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Jeep Cherokee Chief Laredo, 12/1982, AMC 360, black/black

Picture Story: https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823415 ... directlink
Part II:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823415 ... directlink

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Great job. :-bd :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Seems like you certainly have the go-ahead to work on the Jeep, and, more importantly, spend some money on it! Good luck with getting it back on the road. It seemed weird to have that much rust on the passenger side floors instead of the driver side.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Atla

Post by Atla »

Great thread, you've gotten a lot accomplished - progress is progress! Look how far it's come.
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Polarfire

Post by Polarfire »

It is a shame what happens when these Jeeps are taken out of dry climates! Too bad nobody makes the FSJ Golden Eagle decal kit. Good luck on the rebuild!

jaber
Vendor

Re:

Post by jaber »

Polarfire wrote:It is a shame what happens when these Jeeps are taken out of dry climates! Too bad nobody makes the FSJ Golden Eagle decal kit. Good luck on the rebuild!
http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/amc/7780ge.php
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

Polarfire

Post by Polarfire »

jaber wrote:
Polarfire wrote:It is a shame what happens when these Jeeps are taken out of dry climates! Too bad nobody makes the FSJ Golden Eagle decal kit. Good luck on the rebuild!
That is the CJ kit. It is quite a bit different then the FSJ GE stripe package.

jaber
Vendor

Re:

Post by jaber »

Polarfire wrote:
jaber wrote:
That is the CJ kit. It is quite a bit different then the FSJ GE stripe package.
Send them a note, they have made them for other guys. IIRC, The eagle is the same, its the side stripes that are different. There was a build on IFSJA where someone used them, but too early to recall details...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Very cool project. Thank you for all of the detailed pictures! Made any progress since September? This will all probably be quite helpful to me, as I'm picking up a '79 Cherokee Golden Eagle this weekend...

Not that my opinion matters, but I vote you keep the GE theme, dings, scratches, and all, while perfecting everything else underneath that makes it move. Those white GE Cherokees are rare, and this one is a beauty in my opinion!

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Any updates?
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Jguess85

Post by Jguess85 »

Hoping you can update us on this build! I have the same jeep and am looking forward to seeing the finished product.