Off Road Tool Kit Suggestions...

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
MT1

Off Road Tool Kit Suggestions...

Post by MT1 »

While I tend to have good intentions on a tool selection for off roading trips it seems that I always have a need for the one tool I failed to pack. It would really be nice to say my rig is in good enough shape not to need any tools while on the trails, but it is an FSJ so you all would know better! =)) At times I really think a Porta Power might be a good tool to pack along but where to draw the line? Just curious what you find the "MUST HAVE" tools are for your off road ventures? Different tools for different types trips? Hope to finally get a good working list of tools needed without dragging the whole garage along with me. And a long the same subject how do you pack your tools to insure they stay in place encase of a roll over?
Change is Opportunity

Tad
Vendor

Re: Off Road Tool Kit Suggestions...

Post by Tad »

First off, yes, everything gets bolted or strapped down to something.
Even if it doesn't weigh much I try to wedge it, stuff it, secure it somehow.

I pack differently for different trips/trails.
Las Cruces being the most hard core packing (and I'm not that hard core) I even bring a 110V flux cored welder on my trailer for camp repairs if needed. On the trail I can deal with two batteries, some good cables and some 7018. So obviously a good jacket along with my helmet and gloves always go.

I tend to leave most items in the jeep (helps keep the dining room tidy). Ball joint tool, spindle sockets, breaker bar and all my 1/2" stuff has a home inside.
My tool box is bolted to the floor (no rear seat) along with a milk crate and lg tub that carry water and parts that are strapped down and back to the rear wall.

Right now I'm finding it quite interesting to fit just under 1/2 of this into a Infinity QX4 for Ouray.

I can't recommend enough a good, well stocked first aid kit either.
We realized in Nov 2010 how minimally stocked all the rigs were for first aid supplies, we all had something and we came out ok but no single rig had what they might need alone.
I keep all this in a soft back pack now including sterile water, peroxide, tape, sling, gauze, etc.
I was panicked enough on that trip I even added a cervical collar to the pack.

EDIT:
Don't forget the infamous bag-o-electrical stuff.
That bag gets used darn near every trip by someone.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

bigun

Post by bigun »

Cooler full of drinks, charged cell phone, ham radio equipment, Good Sam's Road Rescue card, and I'm set!

lindel

Post by lindel »

Didn't know you were a Ham Charlie!

First and foremost, a good first aid kit. Bandages, gauze, ace wraps, neosporin, aspirin or tylenol (generic is fine), if you're squeamish about CPR a mouth barrier or something similar, scissors all at a bare minimum.

For tools, generic hand tools in assorted sizes and in both sae and metric (some folks bring odd-ball things like TJs and Infinitys...) ;) , decently sized hammer or two with cold chisels, punches of assorted sizes, screwdrivers of assorted types and sizes, pry bar. For those of us silly enough to bring TJs, a complete torx set... :roll:

Air source if you air down, can be either on-board air or power tank of some sort, if you have a big inverter - some power tools or cordless power tools and extra batteries/charger. Assorted air tools if your air system is stout enough.

If you have welding skills (hopefully I'll develop them soon!) then cables and a few sticks of 7018 as tad mentioned (batteries can/do make adequate "welding machines", as can modified alternators).

I generally have a first aid kit and the hand tools. An air system and welding tools are on the "to do" list...
Lindel

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

I'm planning on fabb'ing up an expo trailer so I'm planning on hauling as much as I need. Thinking I will be finding a place for a portapower. I think I had better do some research on the battery welding thing. Sounds interesting...
Change is Opportunity

letank

Post by letank »

If all fail... a sleeping bag rated for the expected night chill, small pad, not mini Ipad, a small tent, stove and some dry food or mre can make the most pleasant experience of a bad situation.... shovel or snow shovel.... ask me how I know.... 0 degre rated sleeping bag, not down as wet down is useless....
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

I just pull the race car tool trailer. :D

Just kidding, that was the race car pit trailer for King of the Hammers.
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Blazer3664

Post by Blazer3664 »

EDIT:
Don't forget the infamous bag-o-electrical stuff.
That bag gets used darn near every trip by someone.
Make sure to include a basic digital multimeter. Then learn to use it.
Can be used to find all kinds of problems. From a bad ground to which ABS sensor is setting off the warning on somebody's tow rig.

I hope nobody takes offense, cause its not aimed at anyone here, but I have seen it happen enough it needs mentioned...........

There is one line in the above that can be applied to any tools you carry. Learn to use it/them.
Knowledge is a powerful thing. You can make do with somewhat limited tools if you know how to fix the thing you are working on, and how to use the tools you do have.

You can have a fleet of 18 wheelers following you around with every tool and spare part known to man, and they still wont do you any good if you dont know what to do with them.

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

lindel

Post by lindel »

No argument there. You have to be smarter than what you're working with!
Lindel

j20brett

Post by j20brett »

Lots of good info here. I pack according to where i will be wheeling. If i know i will be within a mile or two from the trailer, ill pack a cooler, ratchet straps, small tool chest and highlift. Most every issue ive had to date has been tire/vale stem related to not having beadlocks, which wont be an issue for much longer. Ratchet straps can fix many, many issues if used correctly! Highlift handle can potentially be used to sleave a bent tierod/draglink also in a pinch.
"Kaiser" - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I'm a fan of "universal tools" for carry-along, like the 4-in-one screwdrivers, and a Leatherman tool. That would be a good place to start. If no Leatherman, then a good pocket knife.

I also like the Knipex pliers - http://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8603180-7- ... pex+pliers - these are particularly good to carry in place of a full set of open-end wrenches.

The Cobra pliers are also excellent - http://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8701250-10 ... bra+pliers

A hammer and chisel will work in place of big wrenches in many circumstances.

IMO the right approach is to think about what the most common failures are, and then bring along minimal tools and parts to deal with those. The usual failures are flat tires, and no start / no run. The usual no-start is either gas or spark. So backup ignition parts, and the old bits from your last carb rebuild would be helpful. A long length of fuel hose (say, 6'-8') is a great addition to your kit, either for siphoning or jury-rigging a gravity fed fuel supply.

I've been a backpacker since my youth, and I apply the same rules to my bring-along took kit that I apply to what I put on my back. If you need it, bring it along. Leave behind anything you can do without. Pare away relentlessly at bulk and weight. Make everything you bring do as many different jobs as possible.
Last edited by tgreese on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Also, tool rolls are a much better alternative to a tool box. You can put them more places, and they don't rattle.
http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-Brand ... =tool+roll
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

tgreese wrote:Also, tool rolls are a much better alternative to a tool box. You can put them more places, and they don't rattle.
http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-Brand ... =tool+roll
Good point, the tool rolls are good to stay organized with everything under your eyes. Things stay clean.

For the Jeep I use the stackon brand, the fixed dividers can be trimed to fit odd size tool, and they are inexpensive, $6 on amazon for the econo model:

http://www.stack-on.com/categories/stor ... oducts/185

The first aid kit is an excellent reminder, things can go really bad from a small cuts to a big gash. Suture materials, and small extraction forceps have been used a few times. Hicking poles can be used to stabilize broken bones, or for the hike back to the highway.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

I've come to realize the best preparation comes from practice. If you wrench on your Jeep often, you can get a sense of the tools you need and put them in one toolbox and use that same box at home and off-road. At least, that's what I did.

Basically the farther away I'm going to be from home, and the longer the trip, etc., the more tools I bring. Near home I start with the common basic, and universal stuff like standard wrenches, sockets, vise grips, medium to giant adjustable wrenches, pry bars, hammers, stuff like that. Standard car electrical tools. Farther from home, I bring my cordless drill, and specialty tools for brakes, p/s, carb, and those kinds of things. Really far away trips call for my tune up tools, and the really rarely used but nice to have stuff like seal pullers and such.

Sometimes you have to channel macguyver. Finding creative fixes in addition to knowing how to use the tools, is quite helpful. Better yet, don't wheel alone. In a group, someone is bound to have an idea of how to fix whatever's wrong.

I remember when I was having bizarre carb problems and was just totally lost on what to do... couple friends helped out and got the truck running again. Another time someone ripped off a front brake line and we were able to pinch it off with a vise grip and limp off the trail. The cordless drill saved my bacon; was able to re-fasten a broken off spring mount one time.
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!