Front spring Reversal for 88 Gwag

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
shaggywaggy88

Front spring Reversal for 88 Gwag

Post by shaggywaggy88 »

Im thinking about moving the front axle forward by doing a front spring reversal. what are the downsides to doing this? and what parts would be involved?
I know I would need a longer front drive shaft and to trim the front fender. I posted this on IFSJA but that site is giving me all kinds of hell. I figured Id give this place a try.
88 GWag- 4" lift, 31s, Razor grill
Im not the killer man, Im the killer Mans son. But Ill do the killing till the killer man comes. RLTW

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Front spring Reversal for 88 Gwag

Post by Stuka »

Already responded on the other site, but will here to keep things consistent :)

You will most likely have some steering issues unless you are running cross over steering, as the drag link wont be lined up properly anymore. As I recall it moves it forward 1.5" or so.

Question is, why? Your sig says you are running 31's. Unless you plan on running 40's or something I doubt you are going to have issues with your tires rubbing your firewall.

Oh, and you may have to address your caster angle, as it will change some.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
shaggywaggy88

Post by shaggywaggy88 »

If it only moves the axle 1.5" then its not really worth the time and trouble. I was thinking about it because it would improve approach angle. Im trying to maximize the capabilities of my rig with stock dana 44s. I will be upgrading to 33s soon and I dont plan on going any bigger with the stock axles.
Im not the killer man, Im the killer Mans son. But Ill do the killing till the killer man comes. RLTW

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Your approach angle really is fine stock, thats that departure angle that you have to worry about ;)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
shaggywaggy88

Post by shaggywaggy88 »

Its not worth messing with the steering just to get 1.5''. Ill hold what I got. thanks for the advice.

lindel

Post by lindel »

Stuka wrote:Your approach angle really is fine stock, thats that departure angle that you have to worry about ;)

If he drags his butt enough, it'll self-clearance...
Lindel

bigun

Post by bigun »

We did a spring over on Crom now blackBart has brought up the idea of flipping the front and rear springs to get a little more wheel base. Eventually we are talking about droping the 37s and going to 40s or bigger!