Off Road Expo Trailers anyone?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
MT1

Off Road Expo Trailers anyone?

Post by MT1 »

Im going to be building an Expo trailer and was looking for ideas for accessories and design ideas. Anyone here into these things?
Change is Opportunity

pyro

Re: Off Road Expo Trailers anyone?

Post by pyro »

Sorry I'm not more help, but i will be watching this thread. I would love to have one myself. I always wanted to make an m416 with some type of fold out tent and light camping tools.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I have done a lot of looking into them. My Wife and I want one to go behind the JK for camping. A normal travel/tent trailer wont go where we go. But a small off road trailer will.

I have considered building one using an M416 as a base. There are a few guys around here that have done the conversion. They have turned out nice.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Ive been thinking about this for a few years now and am finally to the point where I can actually think about building a complete Expo soon. I have built a test platform and the suspension works really well on a flat trailer so I think it will transfer nicely to an Expo Style rig. Thinking way out of the box on this one guys. I was thinking about building it in a modular fashion. Thinking Im going to base it on a 5 Foot wide by 8.5 foot long deck above the wheels. Im thinking a base level which is just a bare flat deck trailer. The second level would be a module that would attach to the base much like a camper in a truck bed. The 2nd level would be just the boxes around the deck much like the typical expo trailer. The 3rd level would be an enclosure with a roof rack. This level would enable you to lock things inside and out of sight completely. A roof top tent could be attached to any of the 3 levels depending on how long your going to be out in it.

Id like to make the complete tow frame on the trailer completely removable. Id make it so it could be attached to the rear of the trailer as well so if you had to it could be pulled in either direction (mainly for recovery with another vehicle behind you). Im thinking it might be a good idea as well for storing the trailer in a garage or other tight area. And if you were to pull off the complete hitch assembly and lock it up in the trailer there is a very good chance it wont be stolen while your out wheeling. LOL

I have some sketches that I have fooled around with as well as some unique trailing arms that I have already designed, built and tested. Think it should work out just fine. The plan is to air bag it and keep as much of the arm above the scrub line as possible. This is a solid work design of my arms. I am going to loose the shock mount portion of the arm and just mount the shock inside the trailer right beside the air bag. What do ya think? Im always looking for good ideas, direction, or criticism... Yea or nea?

Last edited by MT1 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Change is Opportunity

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Pretty cool!

I dunno anything about those trailers, but I remember watching Tim Hardy on take a sammy through ALL the hard obstacles while towing a trailer on the Ultimate Adventure. I think they were both on 35" tires. Pretty sure he had leaf springs on both the sammy and the trailer. Simple pintle hitch. Worked great!

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Yeah I saw that as well... Guess it is all relative. How much do you really need to get the job done and how much is just bling or creature comforts? I build custom stuff for a living so I tend to get a bit carried away and always try to take it to the next level. Sometimes more is not better! :-bd Guess anything can work?
Change is Opportunity

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

You can make most anything work...

But there is something to be said for designing and building something for yourself... Personal satisfaction is hard to put a price on.

I say you go for it!

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I built a Jeep truck bed trailer for a friend. He got a set of full length side boxes to mount on the bed rails and I built a rack across them for his roof top tent. He also got one of those wild hitches that pivot in all directions. Came out real nice.

Cant wait to see how yours turns out. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

I built a hitch like that and I'm anxious to see how well it works?

The tube spins on the axle inside for the final axis.
Last edited by MT1 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Change is Opportunity

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

That. Is. Sweeeeet!!! ^:)^

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

It will be sweet if it works...;)
Change is Opportunity

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

I wonder how that will react under braking?

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Good question... Thinking very seriously about running a set of turning brakes that are permanently mounded in the tow vehicle. A set of quick disconnects to a couple hydraulic flex lines to the disc brakes should do it. Might be fun to play with while backing as well. Might enable me to make extra sharp turns in reverse? Im thinking I might be able to lock one wheel and force the other up on a large rock or step? WHO KNOWS? #-o
Change is Opportunity

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would advise going to electric brakes and not hydraulic. You don't want it tied into your vehicles braking system.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Stuka wrote:I would advise going to electric brakes and not hydraulic. You don't want it tied into your vehicles braking system.

No I would make it a stand alone system. I have several Cutting break assembly's from a few years back when I was building long travel sand cars. Thinking about burying the handles in the ctr. console of the FSJ permanently and having designated hard lines to the back. Non Leaking QD's dont require bleeding and work fairly well. The Disc brakes are much lighter and smaller than the electric trailer brakes. Ive never liked those magnetic electric brake puck things. for some reason they seem to work well going forward but want to lock up in reverse. My experience anyway...
Change is Opportunity

Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

This is a topic in which I am keenly interested. I miss the camping trips my family took when I was a kid. But my wife is not a fan of camping because she HATES creepy-crawly things. So the only way to go camping while allowing her a reasonable degree of comfort would be with a trailer. I have yet to see a trailer which suits my needs. The factory expo trailers are too minimalist. But a beefed-up Airstream would be a bit much for trail use. So I'm curious to see what new ideas people come up with.
Having seller's regret.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

OK, I got some pics of it loaded, enjoy...

Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

MT1- I love the plan you have coming along here. I have been planning a similar suspension set upbut I really dont have the skills to make it a reality :-D . I cant wait to see the finished product.

Jaber- That set up you have there is pretty sweet. Is that a twin I see in the background?
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Gumby wrote:MT1- I love the plan you have coming along here. I have been planning a similar suspension set upbut I really dont have the skills to make it a reality :-D . I cant wait to see the finished product.

Wish I had more free time to play. This project is going to be slow go unfortunantly.
Change is Opportunity

budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

I have the bed from my Gladiator project sitting, waiting to become the camp trailer.

I like your ideas, especially the hitch and suspension. Since I do most of my forum browsing on my old iPhone 1, I can't see details too well.

First question: how does that hitch deal with thrust forces? Are there bearings, or ?

Second, what's the scheme for mounting the airbags? Do you have a good source for bags and compressor and controls?

A thought just occurred...all you need to do is add rear steer to your rig and you'll be the busiest 'wheeler in the state! :)