Off Road Expo Trailers anyone?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

jaber
Vendor

Re: Off Road Expo Trailers anyone?

Post by jaber »

Gumby wrote:Jaber- That set up you have there is pretty sweet. Is that a twin I see in the background?
If your asking about the other J-bed trailer, kinda.
The one with the tent is not mine, its a friends that asked me to build it for him. The one in the back ground is the bed off of my J-20 that I put the service bed on. I used the frame from my Willys P/U and will be building a 2"x2" square tubing frame to mount to the bottom of the bed so I can make it a dump bed trailer. I have everything but the pump and ram so far.
budojeepr wrote: First question: how does that hitch deal with thrust forces? Are there bearings, or ?
Not sure I understand this, but the "shaft" end of this hitch is built a lot like a king pin in a front axle. I did not pull it apart, but did not look like there was room in it for bearings...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I'm building one based off the M416 military 1/4 ton trailer.

Hitch I will eventually be using:

Removable shelter half tent top:

Still have a lot of work to do
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

budojeepr wrote:I have the bed from my Gladiator project sitting, waiting to become the camp trailer.

I like your ideas, especially the hitch and suspension. Since I do most of my forum browsing on my old iPhone 1, I can't see details too well.

First question: how does that hitch deal with thrust forces? Are there bearings, or ?
Im using sleeved Poly bushings and big Arss washers... Thinking I will try this first.

Second, what's the scheme for mounting the airbags? Do you have a good source for bags and compressor and controls?
I use these guys http://www.airbagit.com/ Good prices and service so far.

I just installed OBA using a york Compressor for the air source. The plan is to run Quick disconnects to the trailer and use control valving in the tow vehicle to manipulate the ride height on the fly. If I need more ground clearance just jack it up a few notches. If one side needs clearance for a rock just air up that one side...

I was going to keep this under wraps but for the Network I will show you how this thing will work. In my way of thinking, If Im going to be dragging this thing around in remote places I dont want to be able to break anything off of it, specially suspension stuff! So I have put every thing that is critical inside the trailer and out of the SCRUB zone. I also wanted it to be easy to work on in the field so everything will be accessible through a access door in the front corners of trailer. For this reason I have designed this new and unique trailing arm. A few things have changed since we did this model, Now the shock will mount just above the airbag to simplify manufacturing and making it a lot less apt to have issues with linkage problems.

A thought just occurred...all you need to do is add rear steer to your rig and you'll be the busiest 'wheeler in the state! :)
Thinking rig Rear steer isnt going to happen on this tow rig. I am building a tube car so we will see how that works out down the road. For now I think independent brakes will help in backing the trailer and help control it in unique situations?
Last edited by MT1 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Change is Opportunity

bigun

Post by bigun »

Interesting suspension set up!

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

A bit out of the norm. Limit straps will insure that we don't over extend the travel. A few sketches of what Id like to build. Kind of Jeep'ish looking from the rear.
Change is Opportunity

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

MT1 wrote:A bit out of the norm. Limit straps will insure that we don't over extend the travel. A few sketches of what Id like to build. Kind of Jeep'ish looking from the rear.
This is pretty much what I would like to build. Just not the upper section and the rear end, I am envisioning using a tailgate from a waggy for the rear. The upper section would be a flat rack to mount my bass hound (10 ft boat) that will slide like a roll off deck. It would be split in the center that when the boat is removed it would fold open (double the deck width). This way I can just put a tent on it rather than ay the cost for an expedition type. I have to find my sketch.

MT that will be one heck of a beast when completed. Keep us posted and I'm hoping that you get some spare time to do it :-bd .
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

To be honest that is one of the reasons I just swapped a Suburban engine drive train and suspension into the FSJ. I needed more pull friendly equipment in the tow rig. Now that it is getting all worked out I will have more time for this project hopefully. Ive been building and collecting parts and pieces for awhile now.
Change is Opportunity

budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

Ok, that suspension is cooler than the other side of the pillow. Thanks for sharing!

moorehouse77

Post by moorehouse77 »

budojeepr wrote:A thought just occurred...all you need to do is add rear steer to your rig and you'll be the busiest 'wheeler in the state! :)
Don't give him anymore ideas!!! Your just inabling!!! :-t

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Hey David... Free Thinkers are Golden besides "Change is Opportunity"
Change is Opportunity

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I just love change, but my wife hates it (it usually cost her more) :-D .
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Manimal70

Post by Manimal70 »

@ MT1...is that going to be independent? If not, how are going to address articulation on one side or the other?
But that is a very interesting set-up. Looks like something the "slammed" crowd is into.

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Manimal70 wrote:@ MT1...is that going to be independent? If not, how are going to address articulation on one side or the other?
But that is a very interesting set-up. Looks like something the "slammed" crowd is into.
MT1...is that going to be independent? Yes, with independent solenoids controlled from in the driver seat of the rig. Actually using some of the technology from the slammed folks as well as the design of the arms from the off road race group. Well sorta... :D If I wanted to I could use commercial bus auto leveling devices for road use and not use any type of sway bar controls... But for this I dont think its needed.
Change is Opportunity