Gear Bag Stuff

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
Renodemona

Gear Bag Stuff

Post by Renodemona »

Hey Gang!
Putting together a bag of stuff to throw in the Jeep while going offroad. Looking to see what kind of stuff you guys like to keep around (and maybe why?). Here's what is in there so far:

Flashlight
Bottle Jack
Zip Ties
Waterproof matches
Hatchet
Leatherman style tool thing
Flint/Steel
Paracord
First Aid Kit
Binoculars
CB Radio
Work Gloves

Anything that I'm missing, feel free to let me know!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

XJChad

Re: Gear Bag Stuff

Post by XJChad »

A small spool/coil of bailing wire, duct/duck/gorilla tape, tire plugs, small shovel and granola bars. Also some spare insulated copper wire. Ive used the bailing wire two different times to repair jeeps to get them off the mountain. 1st was to hold a bolt in for a control arm when their nut came off, 2nd time to hold the exhaust on when it broke. A good knife and a take down 22 cal rifle/ammo.
1989 Grand Wagoneer, 4" Rusty's Lift, LS 5.3L swap (in progress), 4L60e, NP241c.
1991 Grand Wagoneer, all stock, a work in progress, for sale soon.
1982 Cherokee Laredo, 360ci, aluminum intake, Edelbrock carb, HEI, w/32x11.50x15, warn 8000, Dana 44/AMC 20
2001 Cherokee Sport, Old Man Emu lift (worn out), front/rear C4x4 bumpers, Smittybuilt 10,000 winch, 31x10.50x15, Edge Tuner kit w/throttle body & AFE cold air, Gibson exhaust-my daily driver until the '89 is finished.

68J2000

Post by 68J2000 »

I don't know how hard you go when you're off-roading but it wouldn't hurt to bring something similar to JB weld putty in-case you happen to crack or puncture your oil or trans pan and of course extra fluids for both you and your Jeep.

Have fun out there and post up some pics when you go wheeling! :-bd
1968 J2000 Gladiator {The Poached Rhino} : AMC 360, Holley Sniper Injection w/ Hyperspark Ign, AX15 Terminator, Dana 300, D44/D60 Truetrac 4.11 Gears, 33's (W.I.P.)

1969 Triumph GT6+ :evil: 1JZGTE, CD009 6 speed, R200 LSD rear, 300ZX running gear, shooting for 600hp @ 1800lbs GVW restomodds in order, (on the back burner)

2015 Ram 2500 Cummins {Big Hoss}, Laramie, CCLB, Deleted, MM3 tuner Tuned by Ray @DoubleRDiesel

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I now carry a spare distributor gear, and punches to drive the roll pin out & in. :roll:
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

XJChad wrote:A small spool/coil of bailing wire, duct/duck/gorilla tape, tire plugs, small shovel and granola bars. Also some spare insulated copper wire. Ive used the bailing wire two different times to repair jeeps to get them off the mountain. 1st was to hold a bolt in for a control arm when their nut came off, 2nd time to hold the exhaust on when it broke. A good knife and a take down 22 cal rifle/ammo.
Bailing wire is still holding my exhaust on...just keep twisting it back together when it breaks. I should probably consider fixing it...
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Why not run with "will-e" he carry it all :D

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

A Tarp. You have no idea how handy a small 7x7 tarp can be if you have to get under the rig in the mud, or you need cover from the rain/sun.

Also this should be a given, but a spare tire.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Don't forget to actually tie the bag down. If you roll over, you don't want stuff rolling around and hitting you.

Blazer3664

Post by Blazer3664 »

A Tarp. You have no idea how handy a small 7x7 tarp can be if you have to get under the rig in the mud
X2, and maybe a basic change of cloths (sweatpants and a t-shirt fit more than one size person).

A big ratchet strap can be used to slowly and carefully bend, straighten, move, and of course hold things.

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Dusty wrote:I now carry a spare distributor gear, and punches to drive the roll pin out & in. :roll:
This is why I have a spare distributor pickup coil in my box...
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

COLORADOCRAWLER

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

Some odds and ends of electrical wire, fuses, and crimp connectors jumper cables, electrical tape, crimper/stripper pliars. A complete set of hand tools and a little of each type of fluid in your rig. You definitely want whatever special tools you need to change a hub or axle shaft. Have put in some seriously unnecessary time waiting on someone to go to/from town to get a big socket to pull a front drive shaft on a TJ that no TJ owner in the group possessed. One of every size u joint , tow strap with shackle, good work gloves, high lift, and winch remote if you have a winch (yes it happens lol). I like a shovel too, they've gotten me out of a lot of trouble in both snow and mud. I also have a 3/4 ton chain come along that is pretty compact and is better than ten dudes holding a tow strap to keep you from slipping into a hole. Some of my wheeling buddies think I over do it because my junk rarely gives any trouble, nor does theirs, but I've helped a bunch of folks off the trail and maybe carma will come around if I need it some day.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

My vote is for xtra oil, water, a whole bunch of sandwiches and a hot girl!
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

spool of wire and basic connectors, bailing wire, wd40, wire cutters and needle nose vise grips. large heavy jacket, if not for cold, for putting on to crawl under instead of getting your clothes dirty. Thats my basic kit, gotten me home a couple times.
1982 Cherokee Chief, 258, T5 , NP208, 3.31, 33" BFG KO2's
32/36 weber, MSD 6a, Core/Hurst Shifter

VOX

Post by VOX »

if you're going to carry all this stuff you're going to have awful mileage, so you'd better consider carrying a couple of extra 5 gallon gerry cans of gas. ;)
Keith

1980 Wagoneer
1973 J10
1975 Cherokee Chief

letank

Post by letank »

sleeping bag rated for the temp you expect and a small backpacking tent... invaluable when you get stuck in the snow late in the afternoon... so no need to panic after mutiple failures... set tent, enjoy dinner, and in the morning... the snow is hard again and off you go... snow shovel of course...

cardboard (from broken up boxes) are usefull to lay down so you do not get soaked if you do not want to carry a tarp.

for clothing my old motorcycle rain suit is perfect, it is a one piece... so no leaks at the waist, add fleece gloves, even wet they keep your hands warm, leather will fail.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

If you can find some of the coated cardboard (don't know if it's vinyl or what) it tends to last longer for sleeping on and it's almost impermeable, but don't burn it in an enclosed space!
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

bigun

Post by bigun »

Camp chair, charged cell phone with Blackbart's number on speed dial, Nook and snacks to hold me over till he gets there to rescue me!

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I'm one of those who bring a ton of stuff along that covers every conceivable problem...
When I decided to drive my Willys M38A1 from Reno to Ely, Nevada solo I had so much crap in the back and on the rack I rolled it on a 15 degree sidehill after driving over a football sized rock I didn't see.

That is why I went back to a Cherokee!
Along with just everything else mentioned here I carry a spare set of driveshafts, water pump, alternator, full bearing and seals for one side front and rear plus pinion seals.
Equipment includes:
Rifle, revolver, 12-pack of fresh road flares (Great for signaling, emergency light and wet night fire starter. I carry a full ALS med kit minus the controlled substances, a dozen cans of potted meat or vienna sausages and enough water for the cooling system and myself for a two week unplanned stay.
All this fits in the area behind where the rear seat goes and is secured with floor mounted automotive tie down loops/plates for rollovers.

This is my extreme expedition loadout I took with me on my aborted drive to Cordoba, Argentina that ended in Chiapas Mexico a few years back. All that junk and the only failure I had was a plugged fuel filter courtesy of PEMEX gas.

For a weekend wheeling trip I take the usual loadout good for an unexpected overnight stay in BFE waiting for the cavalry to arrive.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation