A/C compressor conversion for onboard air

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
Renodemona

A/C compressor conversion for onboard air

Post by Renodemona »

Greetings! As I play adult LEGOs getting the 401's accessories put back together, It occurs to me that with the compressor off this would be a great time to do an onboard air conversion. Anyone have a link to a build thread of one? Not looking for like the fanciest most awesome you could run a hovercraft pressure, but enough to re-inflate tires and/or maybe a air locker down the road. Thanks!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

TUDrewser

Re: A/C compressor conversion for onboard air

Post by TUDrewser »

Here's a good search query for IFSJA (lot of posts...just have to muddle through): https://www.google.com/webhp?q=site%3Ai ... conversion

But I looked into it and here's what I found:

-York is better than Sanden due to oiling. Put York upright and it holds oil in better.
-Will still need an oil recovery drain thing in line with air
-Can put out crazy pressure...enough to run air tools
-An air tank with pressure switch is a good plan
-Most people who have them say they never use it past the initial "yay!" period.

I ended up putting my money elsewhere. I still thing it would be cool to put a fitting in the back with a tank. Then just back into wherever I'm working and have air tools ready. But for me, I like my working A/C, so then I had to figure out where to put the compressor. I'm still thinking about replacing my bad air injection pump with a York...
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I test stacked 2 Sanden pumps (serpbelt on 4.0L) so I could have AC also. Haven't got around to installing it yet. I need an oil return line to recycle the oil back to the inlet side then it will run Amsoil synthetic compressor oil. (I have it in my LPG generator too)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

I run a York on both my Jeeps. The compressors get used each time I go wheeling. The one on the CJ also runs the ARB's. I have no oil return line as neither compressor pumps oil. Just have to make sure the compressor is mounted with the fittings up. Assuming you have brackets (I had to make mine 'cause the CJ has a LT1 and the Cherk has a SBF) the expensive part is the brass fittings. It takes three fittings on the intake and pressure side to get to a pipe thread. My last install I spent $70 just for the %%^&^%&* fittings. I got a 50' hose from Home Depot for $12 for air lines and fill hose. McMasterCarr has small air filters for I think $8 with pipe threads. Screw Kilby. I got a pair of pressure switches off of Ebay for $20. Screw Kilby.

I also don't have air tanks. Never had a use for one.

Oh, and screw Kilby.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

$70? WOW!

I threaded the head FNPT and bought two male pipe to compression els. Haven't decided where to go from there.

I agree about Kilby. Who's Kilby.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Never thought of doing that. Of course I wouldn't want to pull the head as I can't find my gasket kit.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

68glad

Post by 68glad »

I use mine all the time. 6 gal tank above rear axle w/ a junction box mounted on pass fender, cheapo pressure switch(90/120), gauge, air hose fitting. If your not prissy about it as stated just NPT tap the fittings. I'll admit mine isn't pretty but it works. A ck valve will keep pressure from bleeding back. I used a reg ol piece of braided sink hose from the compressor to junction box. I wanna say it was rated at 90psi but it hasn't failed yet. :D A pressure relief is advisable. Adjustable throttle cable for faster refills. My compressor likes to leak some oil so I added a harbor junk oil separator. It cut oil in the hose by 75% but I still have some residual. I have all of this stuff on mine and it's just like having your garage compressor right there except with less volume.

edit: agree w/ threading the head instead of the fittings. Never thought of it. Hmmm...might make it look better too. :-bd Project for tomorrow. :)
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I went to Fittings Inc here and bought a single one for each side (inlet/exhaust) but I don't recall the number.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle