Lift Kit 101 Questions.

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
kirk

Lift Kit 101 Questions.

Post by kirk »

Im still a ways off from lift. But, I cant find what I'm looking for. Remember, Im a fSJ newb. XJs and TJs, no FSJs. I want to run a 3 or 4" lift on my '87. Ive been watching the lift pics thread, and I like the look on some of the posted pics. I think it helped me make up my mind. Originally, I wanted this look:

Found the image on google. The more I read, search and look at pics, I'm thinking thats a 6" lift? And maybe so I can drive everyday and not get like 6mpg, a 3/4" lift would be better.

This guy did 4", and I like it. However he just used springs i think his blog said, and the ride suffered.

Remember, I wont be doing "hardcore" trail riding like you guys. I just want to lift it and run bigger tires. So my question is, now that I spent the night looking on BJs website and others, what do I need to be looking at in a 3-4" lift? There are so many options and so many things I dont know. Like, at what point do I need longer brake lines? How about sway bar disconnects, driveshaft issues, etc? When does that come in? Should I lift it with leaf springs? Blocks? Sheesh. Who makes the best kit? I dont like doing things twice. I like to buy good parts, do it once, move on. BUT, just because somethings expensive doesnt always mean its best. So any basic FSJ lift info that you guys alllll take for granted that I probably have no idea about, I would love to know. Or post links or websites whatever. Ill do my own research, just point me in the right direction.

I did want to say that so far, everyone here has been super nice and super helpful to me in my infinate know nothingness. Thank you, and watch my thread for questions as I start working on it soon. (I hope)
'87 Wagoneer & a '87 Parts Carcass for sale

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Lift Kit 101 Questions.

Post by Stuka »

1: Blocks only work in back, so you have to have either new springs up front, or do a spring over (Closer to 7").

2: There are many different springs. Stay aware from Rough Country and Super Lift as their springs ride like rocks. SkyJacker arguably has the nixest riding springs, but they are also more costly. They also give closer to 5" of lift.

3: For a 4" lift, brake lines are advised, although it can be driven on the street without them if you need to buy the kit in stages.

4: Stock drive shafts are fine for only 4" of lift. Any more and you need either a custom front shaft, or you have to modify the exhaust and/or cross member. Rear shafts are fine up to about 7" of lift.

A good look for a grand waggy to me is a 4" lift with 31x10.50 tires. The tires are small enough that re-gearing is not required, it doesnt require lots of other mods, and the ride is decent.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
kirk

Post by kirk »

1 - Is blocks in the rear the prefered way to go? A 4" block worries me for some reason. I can do rear springs, if thats safer, rides better, etc.

2 - Thank you. If I go with SkyJacker, does that mean being closer to 5" I need to do something with the driveshaft? Is there a preferable brand?

3 - I should probably replace the brake lines anyway, they look kinda cracky. Besides, if I'm in there anyway....

4 - Thank you.

5 - I think thats what I shall do. Thanks for all your help.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

You may want to take a look at Hell Creek lifts as well. I have heard good things about them. I would not use a 4" block in the rear. If you want 4" lift, the only real/safe way to go is to use a spring.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I'd do a shackle flip in rear with angle shims to fix the driveshaft angle.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

carnuck wrote:I'd do a shackle flip in rear with angle shims to fix the driveshaft angle.
My son just got done with his shackle flip. It took a single 2deg wedge to bring the pinion angle back to where it was.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

It made a pretty easy rear lift with the correct flip brackets. Mine were 10 degrees ('73 J4000 which didn't need the frame brackets) and 17 degrees ('84 J10 that I modded the OEM frame bracket, but it's too weak) on the Jtrucks

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

carnuck wrote:I'd do a shackle flip in rear with angle shims to fix the driveshaft angle.

Not sure he is looking for that much lift. Unless you mean without moving the front mount. Which you can do (With shims put in backwards to get the pinion pointed back down), you just end up with spring geometry that is wrong so the ride is stiffer.
2017 JKU Rubicon

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

No front mount movement. Springs are almost the same ride as before because they didn't change

lindel

Post by lindel »

I'd shy away from Hell Creek. A good friend of mine had one and wasn't real happy with it. Didn't like the ride on the street, said it was too harsh.
Lindel

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

lindel wrote:I'd shy away from Hell Creek. A good friend of mine had one and wasn't real happy with it. Didn't like the ride on the street, said it was too harsh.
I have had two sets of springs made by hell creek and both were fine. Sure they are stiffer than a stock grand wagoneers, but I didn't notice a huge difference on my Cherokee or J10 (Were are sprung stiffer than a grand wag)
2017 JKU Rubicon

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

I would be another one to recommend Hell Creek.
Tom, the owner of Hell Creek is a member over on the 'Mothership' and give members of the IFSJA a discount (10% I think)
He stands behind his products and if a customer is not happy, I am sure he will go out of his way to make it right.

I had 3" Rough County springs on a '86 Grand Wagoneer...it rode like a tractor...maybe a little worse.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have 4" Rusty's Offroad spring kit on an 88 GW that rides very nicely on 32s.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
kirk

Post by kirk »

Flint - thanks for the pic, I really like the look of your GW. You guys keep saying "mothership". Everyone going back to ifsja? I cant keep up with you guys. Hahaha

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The PIG Smith wrote:I would be another one to recommend Hell Creek.
Tom, the owner of Hell Creek is a member over on the 'Mothership' and give members of the IFSJA a discount (10% I think)
He stands behind his products and if a customer is not happy, I am sure he will go out of his way to make it right.

I had 3" Rough County springs on a '86 Grand Wagoneer...it rode like a tractor...maybe a little worse.
If you run HC springs with stock shocks, You will be disappointed!

lindel

Post by lindel »

Just going by what I was told, I've never run them myself.
Lindel

MjrWraith

Post by MjrWraith »

I'm running a 3" Rough Country that was on the truck when I bought it. The Rough Country is ok but it does ride rough and I don't get near the articulation I know the truck is capable of. For my use and preference I'm looking at BJ's 4" kit w/ the extended brake lines. The 32's just barely clear with the 3" lift and I'd like a bit more clearance, but you can stuff 32's with a 3" lift just watch the back fenders they tend to rub a little.
CAM00026-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'87 Grand Wagoneer w/ 3" lift, 32x11.50x15 BFG A/T's, AMC 360 w/ a COMP 270H cam, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Holley Truck Avenger Carb, heads milled 0.030", and Flowmaster exhaust system with stock exhaust manifolds. The only difference I have found between my Jeep and my wifes Land Rover....the country of origin!

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

I have personally run trucks with a 3" Rough Country lift and a Skyjacker 4" lift. Both kits were used and removed from another FSJ. I liked the Skyjacker lift better than the RC lift. Of course, it's a lot more $$$$, too. :- (

But you get what you pay for.

For the 4" Skyjacker lift, I did not have driveshaft issues. I did install longer brake lines that ended up being REALLY long. I used springs and zip ties to keep them away from the front wheels. I also had to install a dropped pitman arm AND reinstall the front track bar (aka panhard rod) with the extension bracket (from Skyjacker) to reduce bumpsteer.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

billyrb
Vendor

Post by billyrb »

Also consider the BDS kit. They ride about the same as the skyjacker, are less expensive and have a lifetime warranty on their springs.

woodsboy00

Post by woodsboy00 »

Rustys would be a good option to look into! It was what I was considering before my descion to spring axle
1976 Cherokee Chief
360/T18/D20 (SWAPPED)
WT D44s
3" RC
37x13x15 Boggers
Twin Stick
MM Hubs

Currently in mod stage!
(Almost done, hah...)