Water Crossings in a FSJ

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
Lumpskie

Water Crossings in a FSJ

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey Guys,

I'm planning on going camping with some of my friends this coming weekend. For the first time, I'm planning on taking the Wagoneer instead of my Yota. The trail seems pretty easy, from what I hear, other than a water crossing that might be deep this time of year. My question is this: Should I be wary of doing a water crossing in a FSJ?

I know that wheel bearings are fully sealed on my yota... are FSJ bearings safe for immersion in water?
Also, my diff breathers are remote and located above the body line of my yota. Do I need to worry about submerging the diffs on the Wagoneer?
Are there any other things I should be aware of related to water?

Thanks for the advice,
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Stuka
Site Admin

Water Crossings in a FSJ

Post by Stuka »

Check the diff breathers, make sure the hoses are not rotted and that they are high enough up.

Also check your Trans. It only takes a tiny bit of water to destroy an automatic Trans.

Oh and t-case.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

letank

Re: Water Crossings in a FSJ

Post by letank »

The fan will splash water on that distributor as well, this is why the electrical fan is a favorite of water crossers, turn it off for deep water.. so hopefully the distributor is water resistant, the alternator will do fine, and the starter may not like any mud or sand...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Check your hoses like recommended above. Even though bearings are sealed it is always wise to change out fluids once deep fording has been done. If you are still running a fan clutch I would not worry about the fan splashing the distributor. The water resistance will slow the fan down to where it will not splash water. If it is real deep water I always make sure I am in low range. Keep the speed nice and even about 3mph. You want to create a wake in front of the grill. Drive too fast and you drive through it, go too slow and it will walk away from you. The wake will keep the water in the engine bay and around the vehicle lower than the actual water level. I have forded rivers deep enough where I could feel the body start to go buoyant. That is scary when you have a deep hole just a few feet down stream, but once committed it is all or nothing.

Oh, one more thing. Make sure your air cleaner intake is higher than what the water level can get to.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

If the water gets above the front hubs, then they should be checked when you get home. They are not as sealed as we would like.

Here is a little story of mine.

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7465
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

86gwrhino

Post by 86gwrhino »

I once ruined a 727 valve body crossing a creek that was not quite to the level of the frame. if you have the original 727 it vents on the front of the pump fairly low so any splash can get in the housing pretty easily.
1986 grand wagoneer
chevy 350 tbi, tf727
rusty's 4in spring lift, amc20 rear, dana44 front, np228,

'67 M715
all stock with pto

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks for the advice, you guys. The trans and hubs make a little nervous. I'll probably turn around if the water is more than a foot deep, just to be safe. I'd rather spend my money on lifting the waggy than repairing a broken trans.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Don't open the doors! Not a joke I can't remember how many rigs we had to service the inside or replace the carpet because somebody opened a door to see how deep the eater was or get a picture of the first water crossing
This would include factory personnel in loaner our mandatory loaners.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

If you keep a bow wave you'll be fine. The hubs are easy to check, you can do it when you get to camp your friends might even like to help.

As for the vent, it is located near the top of the case in the bell housing of the trans. This thread shows it well.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/dodge/17 ... ics/178297

ghcoe has stories and pictures of scary deep crossings in his rig. Like almost window high scary, so I think you'll be fine.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

To inspect the hubs just pop the covers off.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

A guy in my local 4WD club mentioned that the crossing is usually 20-25 inches deep. I know that depth would put my hubs under... not sure about that transmission or door seals though. I need to get some fresh springs under it bad. I'll take some measurements to see where I'm at tonight. If there's any chance of submerging the frame or door seals, I'll just skip the trip and wait until the rig is a little higher off the ground.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Where y'all going? The only place I know with water that deep isn't open yet.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Payne Mtn. Trail? It's off of Argentine pass. Have you been on that one?

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Never heard of it. Didn't know anything up that way was open.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I ended up having to turn around because the snow was too deep, but my friends continued on a while. I posted a few pics on my build thread. We were definitely the first group to break trail for the year.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

ghcoe wrote:Check your hoses like recommended above. Even though bearings are sealed it is always wise to change out fluids once deep fording has been done. If you are still running a fan clutch I would not worry about the fan splashing the distributor. The water resistance will slow the fan down to where it will not splash water. If it is real deep water I always make sure I am in low range. Keep the speed nice and even about 3mph. You want to create a wake in front of the grill. Drive too fast and you drive through it, go too slow and it will walk away from you. The wake will keep the water in the engine bay and around the vehicle lower than the actual water level. I have forded rivers deep enough where I could feel the body start to go buoyant. That is scary when you have a deep hole just a few feet down stream, but once committed it is all or nothing.

Oh, one more thing. Make sure your air cleaner intake is higher than what the water level can get to.
Deep water crossing this last weekend. The Toyota was running 35" tires. In the video you can see that the water got to the top of the Toyota's bumper, which is just below the black stripe on the side of my Jeep. The bottom of the stripe is 36" from the ground. Felt solid, but was being pushed down river from the current.
DSCF4272 s.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44DKyCxxChk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack