wheel too narrow?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

wheel too narrow?

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

As many of you know, I've ran 17x8.5" H2 hummer wheels on 42x14.5R17 Goodyear kevlars for years. They work great both on/offroad.

I've had an extra tire laying around for a while and I finally got around to buying another H2 hummer wheel for it. Took it down to the local discount tire where they refused to mount them because the 'tire is too wide for the wheel'.

Sucks cause they are SUPER busy and I had to wait in line for a while.

:fsj:

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Re: wheel too narrow?

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I'd like to add that over the years, I've purchased around 8 of these tires from the same store, same manager, etc. But this little zit faced kit had to challenge it.

I told the manager that I'm sorry, but I'll take my business elsewhere. (and I give them quite a bit of business)

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Yeah, this is becoming more common in many places due to liability concerns. I couldn't get any of the big name tire shops to mount my 33x12.50s on the 10" steel wheels so I tracked down a shop that catered to the 4x4 crowd to get em put on.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

wait what? they wouldnt mount a 12.50 on a 10" wheel? they should by all means mount anything as long as it's within the manufacturers recommendations.

a 12.5 should be FINE to mound on an 8" wheel.

I was concerned that 4wheelparts wouldnt mount my 10.5" tires on my 6" wide wheels as I had been turned away by other places before, but they didnt even ask any questions and just mounted em up.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

It does seem tire shops are being told by manufacturers to abide by their specified wheel width for a given tire size.

Not mounting a 12.50 ona 10" wide wheel is laughable though, as thats in the allowed wheel width given by the manufacturer.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

LOL at the small tires not being mounted. Those tire shop guys must have been in a REALLY bad mood that day.

The first thing the kid at discount would always say is they can't balance a 42" tire. Truth is they really can't balance ANY tire (I believe there is a lot more too it than just slapping it on the balancer...).

luckily I know a small shop here in town that actually does know how to balance tires. They once balanced a set of 42" IROK bias and believe me, those tires are tough to balance.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Yep! We have a new generation of ID10T's calling themselves 'mechanics' these days.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Had the same problem with my Dodge. They wouldn't mount 285-75-16 anymore.

I had them demount the old 315-75's, which is the hard part, and mounted the new ones myself. Then had them balance them.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.