How I store all this stuff in my Jeep

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
will e

How I store all this stuff in my Jeep

Post by will e »

This is my current storage configuration. I have gone through a lot of iterations in the past 10 years. What really made the difference is removing the back seat, adding the roll bar and getting the fridge.
Once I committed to no back seat and a roll bar this allowed me to store the spare inside. Originally a 35” spare, now a 37”. I also use the roll bar to mount the 6x9 speaker boxes and I mounted an aluminum shelf on top of the roll bar to mount my compressor and both the CB and HAM radio bases.
The overall strategy with the storage is to keep the things I use the most accessible with the items rarely use a bit harder to get to. This includes the spare, I have never had to change my tire on the trail. The action packer is full of infrequently used items and spare parts. It’s strapped down. I don’t have to pull it out if I need something in it.

The tool box is strapped down, I don’t use it a lot but I keep it easy to get to.

Next up are a pair of Front Runner ‘Wolf Packs’. I have the taller top on one, it allows me to carry spare oil in the upright position.

These are stackable and very strong. Unlike the smaller Action Packers, these are hard sided and will not ‘crush down’ when secured. The lids lock on tightly too. They cost more than the action packers but I think they are worth the extra cost.

These fit just between the large Action Packer and the fridge mount. It’s a tight fit but that keeps them from moving around. The floor is not level so I use an oven mitt to kind of level it out a bit.

Next to the Wolf Packs I keep my portable cheese crisp oven and a big jack stand. To the left of the tire I keep a spare chair and table.

The oven is easy to get to when the tail gate is up. When we stop for lunch I reach in and grab the oven first along with the spare chair and table.

The fridge is on a sliding rack. This one is unusual because it slides on the short side of the fridge, most of them slide long ways. I decided on this one because my original plan was to put drawers on the passenger side. But after wrestling the tire in and out I realized I needed as much space as possible to maneuver so I gave up on the idea of mounting drawers. The tire will roll over the empty fridge tray.
You can see just how tight a fit the jack stand is. The tray, when closed, just barely clears the jack stand.

The other reason I went with this slider is the tail gate doesn’t sit flat, a longer slider would have been stopped before fully opening. Placement of the fridge slide was ‘critical’ and took me an entire day to settle on this position. It’s too long to move much more to the driver side, the wheel well gets in the way. But with the fridge in I would need to be able to get to the handle that opens the tail gate. Also, the rear gate doesn’t close vertical, it actually leans in quite a bit. I can open the fridge and reach in when the tail gate is closed
And if the tail gate is open I slide it out to get to the fridge stuff.
The fridge is secured in place with straps on the handle. I really like having the fridge, my food doesn’t get ruined by ice water anymore and it is super convenient compared to strapping down a cooler.

I added a couple of power outlets, one for the fridge and another one just because.

Next are a pair of ‘cub packs’ also made by Front Runner. In these I keep my cooking, camping, lunching stuff.
These are also stackable and fit nicely between the fridge and tool box.
The don’t weigh much so I use something called a ‘Stratchit’ also from Front runner. They cinch down easy and have the looped ends which don’t fall off the mounting points.
As a side note, I tried several different tool boxes till I found one that fit. I went to home depot, bought 4 that looked like they might fit, tried them in the parking lot and returned three.
I slide the cutting board between the cargo and tool box. The spill kit is light, I don’t tie it down, and the hi-lift base is tied to an anchor.
I toss a couple of rugs on top too.

On the passenger side I have a propane bottle holder
This is from a company call ‘Fish Fighter’. On the driver side I have an oil storage rack

The funnel collection is held by a giant zip tie. When I need a funnel I just cut the tie and then reuse it.

I keep a selection of cleaning stuff and a couple of spare trash bags in this duffle
And use the paper clamp on the strings to hang it from the roof rail

And I toss a chair on top of it all, I use another ‘Stratchit’ to keep it from flying around. It’s not cinched down but it will keep it from flying forward and hitting us in the head.
Everything I use a lot is easy to get to. When I stop I can quickly get into the fridge. If we are going to hang out for lunch I leave the tail gate closed and grab the chairs, table, the cleaning duffle and oven. Then I open the tail gate, get the two smaller cargo boxes, the cutting board and slide the fridge out.

Here's what it looks like all together

Behind the driver seat I made use of the roll bar again. I have a trail vice that I clamped to the roll bar.
On top of that I have a socket kit, which is pushed between the rollbar and interior panel. Also a short and long recovery strap, again, easy to get to.
On top of all of that is a duffle with some jumper cables.
In the seat pocket I keep my air down stuff and a pair of gloves. Another Jack Stand is secured behind the seat. You can also see the air hose for pumping up the tires.

Over on the passenger side is the fire extinguisher and air tank both mounted to the roll bar.

The extinguisher is on a quick release mount

And the second air hose connector is mounted right to the tank.

The subwoofer is strapped down.

My ‘recovery bag’ is hooked to the strap that also holds the sub-woofer in place.

Since we don’t have stock cup holders I included this option with the Tuffy console

I keep a pair of wheel chocks tucked up under the driver seat.

I use the ‘Magnetic MIC’ holders for my radio mic’s and portable radios. These things work like a charm.

I have the roof rack where I mount my hi-lift.

It won't clear the garage door so I only mount it when I am heading out wheeling. I used a couple of U-bolts on the rack.

It just clears. It also 'rests' on the jack handle dampers.

I also use the rack for the normal things like larger propane tanks, pop up shades, a portable fire pit and gas can.

So that’s about it. Thanks for reading!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

irondawg

Re: How I store all this stuff in my Jeep

Post by irondawg »

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you can hit the trails for a long time.

Are you packing a tent or sleeping in the Jeep?

What are you doing for water?
1978 Cherokee Chief WT in a thousand pieces
Previous Jeep: 2001 Grand Cherokee

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

I toss in a sleeping bag, pillow, comforter and a duffle with clothes on top of everything else if I go camping. I don't secure this stuff since it is light weight. I have a rear view camera which I use all of the time anyways since visibility is a bit limited.

I have room to toss water bottles behind the seats.
And bungee them in. I can also put water on the roof rack if it is going to be a longer trip.

I don't sleep in the truck. If I HAD TO I could pull out everything but the tire and fridge and with the tail gate left open I would fit. Im a bit tall so leaving the gate close is not a good option.

My biggest concern is the rear window stops working and it is in the UP position. If I can't fix it I will try to remove and arrange everything to get to it but in the end I will probably just have to break the window and replace it.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

And a big shout out to Evil Twin Fabs. Bob did the custom roll bar and roof rack.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

All I see is a little icon and "Image".
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

My favorite part:

"The floor is not level so I use an oven mitt to kind of level it out a bit"

Also can be used to hold a hot pan when cooking as well I suppose :)

BLee

Post by BLee »

Awesome setup! Thanks for sharing all the pictures. Gives me some good storage ideas.
Brandon
----------
Current Jeep - 1992 YJ 4.0L
Future Jeep (on the hunt) - 1968-1972 Wagoneer / Cummins R2.8L / Tremec 4050 manual

Always looking to learn something. Preferably through other peoples mistakes and before my own. :D