Starting my FSJ adventure

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
rebturtle

Starting my FSJ adventure

Post by rebturtle »

A couple of years ago, I came into the possession (long story) of a 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I haven't had the time or expendable cash to work on it, so it has been sitting under a car cover while I debated what to do with it. I grew up with Fords including a Ranger that I lifted (7.5") and off-roaded extensively many years ago. After having kids I switched to and have been driving a very practical and dependable Honda Ridgeline for over a decade, but really miss (serious) trail riding.

Enter the Waggy. I immediately recognized how special this Wagoneer was. It wasn't just missing the woodgrain, it was missing almost all of the things that make a Wagoneer an "upscale" off-roader. Manual everything except the steering and transmission. Very little chrome. Turns out it was once a vehicle for the Army Corps of Engineers, and still has the nameplates to prove it. That cool heritage aside, it has already been very well loved by somebody. I haven't gone through it with a fine-tooth comb yet, so I don't have all of the details, but here is what I know it has so far:
  • Lift of undetermined height
  • Dana 44 front and Dana 60 rear with ARB air lockers
  • Dual fuel tanks
  • Atlas II transfer case
  • GM TH700R4 trans
  • Chevy 305 V8 (dead)
  • Tired BFG 33x10.50 AT/KOs on what appear to be at least Jeep-style 15" rims
  • Unknown gear ratios
  • Vinyl seats and floors
It was parked in front of a building that caught on fire, which is why there appears to be fire damage but only to the exterior. Windshield has been replaced, and I have a new grille and marker lights sitting in boxes.

First thing on the to-do list is addressing the engine. I have sourced a 6.0L LQ9 Gen III LS (345 hp, 380 ft./lbs stock) out of a (running) 2005 Cadillac Escalade complete with wiring harness, ECU, and all accessories, so that will be a fun chore. Haven't decided how I'm going to deal with dual tanks and new fuel pump(s) for fuel injection yet, but I think that the far tougher nut to crack will be that I'm in California, so everything has to be CARB-approved by an emissions referee. I don't have a vehicle large enough to tow this to where the fun is, and I'd really like to have it available for any heavy hauling duties, so getting it road-legal will be important.

Second will be rust. The quarters are actually in beautiful condition, but the lower A-pillars and drip rails are cancer-ridden from many years stored outside, probably in the snow.

I am happy to have a new challenge, and welcome to visitors and advice.
Thanks!
-Randy

San Diego, CA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/29PTwfeTZ38j92YB8
Last edited by rebturtle on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1986 Grand Wagoneer, Army special, 33" BFG ATs, dual ARB lockers, 6.0L LS swap

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Starting my FSJ adventure

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum. That looks like it was most likely sold to a government agency. Forest service or the like. They were ordered with bare bones everything. We have them show up here every now and then. They are certainly more rare than regular models.

The rust around the windshield there is a new one. Not a common place for it when everything else looks pretty good.

Being the axle are of stock width and 6 lug, both will be D44s. Lift looks to be in the 4" range.

Here is your VIN decoded:
1: USA
J: Jeep Corp
C: Multi-Purpose Vehicle
N: 8 Cyl, 360 CID
E: Automatic Transmission, Column Shift, Part Time Transfer Case
15: Wagoneer, 4 Door Station Wagon, 109" Wheelbase
U: 5200# (GVW)
2: VIN Verification
G: 1986
T: Toledo
2017 JKU Rubicon