phpBB add-ons

Area to ask questions or post comments related to this forum.

Topic author
pyro

phpBB add-ons

Post by pyro »

'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

AwesomeJ10

Re: phpBB add-ons

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Yes, that looks to be a very helpful little mod. Kinda obvious, actually.

You will have to convince Stuka ;)

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

There is also an add-on that puts browsing controls at the bottom of the page as well. Keeps you from having to navigate to the top of the page to browse. Its quite handy. :-bd

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I have not looked at the above add-on. But I am going to state that the reason I don't go crazy with add-ons is it inevitably makes upgrades more difficult. Because more often than not, I have to go in and manually recode things to work with the latest version of the forum software. And I prefer to have an up to date forum that is solid, than one that has to be behind the update curve because of add-ons. But I will look at the above one to see what it changes.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

I think what I am referring to is not really an add on but maybe a setting. It simply puts the "view new posts, view active topics, etc" link at the bottom of the page. I will ask the admin of one of my other forums to elaborate for me then pass that on to you to decide.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Stuka wrote:I have not looked at the above add-on. But I am going to state that the reason I don't go crazy with add-ons is it inevitably makes upgrades more difficult. Because more often than not, I have to go in and manually recode things to work with the latest version of the forum software. And I prefer to have an up to date forum that is solid, than one that has to be behind the update curve because of add-ons. But I will look at the above one to see what it changes.
Agreed. My experience with these LAMP based setups is they are not very 'upgradeable'. I know what a pain in the @$$ it is to have to go through all those config files, edit the text, etc each time you upgrade. My own site, blakeoffroad.com has yabb installed and it's all hacked up and is in some kind of limbo. I don't think I could ever get it up to a stable version. All started with a couple of mods, then a jacked upgrade. Now the forum (closed to the public) is all messed up :banghead: Still hosts my pics pretty well though.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

So this mod actually uses automod, which means it should have gone fine.

However, it didn't. So... the site may be going up and down for a bit while I try and fix what it broke :/ The main forum is fine, but the admin control panel is broken.
2017 JKU Rubicon

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

LOL see what you guys have done!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah that mod is not compatible with PHPBB3 version 3.0.11. So until they update it, no go.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

ScottsMojo wrote:I think what I am referring to is not really an add on but maybe a setting. It simply puts the "view new posts, view active topics, etc" link at the bottom of the page. I will ask the admin of one of my other forums to elaborate for me then pass that on to you to decide.
Well this was easy to do. That was just going through and making a few mods to the template. So now it will display:

View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics

At the bottom of the forum and topic pages. This has been done for both the dark and light themes.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

sorry didn't realize it was so fubar. ..I used to run a vb forum and add-on adding was a cinch for the most part. def something to keep an eye on for updates tho.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Stuka wrote:
ScottsMojo wrote:I think what I am referring to is not really an add on but maybe a setting. It simply puts the "view new posts, view active topics, etc" link at the bottom of the page. I will ask the admin of one of my other forums to elaborate for me then pass that on to you to decide.
Well this was easy to do. That was just going through and making a few mods to the template. So now it will display:

View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics

At the bottom of the forum and topic pages. This has been done for both the dark and light themes.
Perfect! That was what I thought and was referring to.

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

fyi appears to have been updated if you have any interest in reinstalling. :x
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176