Post by rstep »

1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

will e

Re: Ouray KOA in the News

Post by will e »

Well, that is interesting. Imagine taking ownership of a place like the KOA in January and then being told shortly after that you have to shutdown.

These are weird times. Ouray relies so much on tourism I can't imagine the impact this is having on them.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

bigun

Post by bigun »

Since most people stay in either a tent or an RV at the KOA complaints sound like pure jealousy to me

will e

Post by will e »

I was thinking the same thing about risk at the KOA. The showers are probably the biggest risk but the CDC just said picking it up from surfaces is a lot less likely than they thought. Some squirt bottles with bleach and sandals in the shower would probably eliminate most of the risk (Assuming someone before you actually had the virus)

I understand Ouray wanting to be careful. But I also think of businesses like Maggies Kitchen, they only have any real business part of the year. They appear to be open but no dine in. I looked them up and someone posted a review yesterday showing themselves eating from togo containers on the patio.

The place next door, Mr. Grumpy Pants shows as 'permanently closed' in a BING search. He only served beer (often to the folks eating at maggies, which did not serve beer). All of it was local and made in small batches. Each year it was different. The last review was in February of this year. I hope it's not true. And I hope the owner is doing okay.

If the Invasion happens this year I will make a real attempt to eat in town more often. Like most everyone I do a lot of my own meal preparations but my heart goes out to the small businesses unfairly impacted by this situation.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

As somebody that lives in a smaller community, the biggest risk to them being open is drawing in people from outside the area that may bring the virus with them.

Where I am, the local authorities don't really care if locals are out and about. However, we get large influxes of people from the bay area. My county has only had three positive cases. The bay area has had almost 20,000. So even if they stay in a tent, they may visit restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

I certainly don't want small mom and pop shops to suffer unduly. There are some hear that I really enjoy. But I also don't want thousands of visitors coming up here. Its a careful balance to be sure.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Here's the flip side Stuka, those of us in the suburbs and cities can't go to the boonies for fresh air and a little bit of space. However, all those that live in the boonies are free and clear to cruise down to the city to stock up on toilet paper and Twix bars. That's why I call BS on the "don't bring your germs here" argument.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Consider me unhappy that KOA bent the rules. That's all I got.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac