Picking up a 77 wagoneer. Looking to build a strictly off-road rig

FSJ Related Events in the Central Time Zone

Topic author
TLarghe

Picking up a 77 wagoneer. Looking to build a strictly off-road rig

Post by TLarghe »

Hello. As the title says I’m looking for a build. This will be my first Jeep. So I’m looking for ideas and options and what I could do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will e

Re: Picking up a 77 wagoneer. Looking to build a strictly off-road rig

Post by will e »

greetings and welcome!

Strictly off road. I am assuming big tires? You'll need a lift and/or a Sawzall. Trimming will be necessary.

I'd keep the engine. No need to spend money on a fancy swap. I am going to assume it's an automatic and quadratrac?

When you go big tires you will want to change the gearing in the axles, unless you really don't plan on driving it on the road. In which case you might consider spending the money on a 4 speed transfer case like the atlas. This will give you a lot more flexibility off road,

If you are going to change the axle gearing you should toss in lockers. You might consider going with heftier axles too.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Picking up a 77 wagoneer. Looking to build a strictly off-road rig

Post by rocklaurence »

X2 on the above comments. Also, Id Tub the rear fenders to fit the bigger tires and trim the front fenders. The Wagoneer rear fenders are a serious restriction--just get rid of them. You can have a lot of fun with Big tires, good gears and Lockers. Then as you continue your build add stacked Transfer cases, Ram steering, bigger axles and on and on to fit your desires. :D